Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Dresden Plate Spring challenge 2021 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/dresden-plate-spring-challenge-2021-a-t315009.html)

lizzie3 04-06-2021 11:39 AM

Dresden Plate Spring challenge 2021

I'm not sure if there are any rules about who can start a challenge or a sew along but if I am allowed I would like to start one! I figured it could be a "spring 2021 challenge" so we can make a timeline of June 20th since that's the end of Spring. The challenge is to make a quilt of any size using Dresden Plates. We all are at different levels so you can make it as complicated or as simple as you would like...or maybe dig into your UFO for your old dresden plate quilt that is longing to be finished...

I bought a bunch of yellows and am going to make them into sunflowers, I am thinking 9 blocks? I like throw size quilts so it will be a maximum of 60x60. I'm not keen on having to do applique centres as I don't have much experience with applique but quilting is all about learning/practising new skills right?

I've already cut out each plate and wow did I overestimate how much fabric I would need, lol. I am about to log off and go sew the ends of each plate into a point.

Anyone interested in joining me?
Lizzie

Rff1010 04-06-2021 01:23 PM

I made a beeeyyoouuuttffuull fan design a few years ago. I'm in. It will be a good way.to use up the oddballs from the Mystery fat quarter bundles....

Don't fear the applique center. Of all the applique I think it's the easiest.

lizzie3 04-06-2021 04:56 PM

I've looked at a few youtube videos and I like that it's just one piece of applique. I figured I'd take my time and reach out if I needed to.

One of the first quilts that inspired me was a purple fan quilt, it's always been on my list to quilt.

Queenbarbiej 04-07-2021 07:07 AM

I have a pink one I should finish. It's 3/4's of the way done. I will join along.

thepolyparrot 04-07-2021 07:23 AM

I'll play along - I have an antique Dresden plate top that's been waiting for years - all pinned and ready to quilt.

I got it out last month and tried to quilt it on my industrial, but there was something in the fabric/needle/thread combination that was causing skipped stitches - I'll try again with a bigger needle and heavier thread.

kristijoy 04-07-2021 01:05 PM

I have a pile of 1930's reproductions that I've been thinking would make a good Dresden! I might join too!

juliasb 04-08-2021 07:53 AM

I have to think a bit more on this one I have one sitting in my UFO's that is close to finished. It is using my 1930 repos on a velveteen background fabric. I have to think more about pulling it out I have other commitments that can be worked through. It would be a great way to finish this one off.

kristijoy 04-08-2021 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by kristijoy (Post 8474089)
I have a pile of 1930's reproductions that I've been thinking would make a good Dresden! I might join too!

I changed up my fabric and decided to do some yellows to go with a sunflower novelty print that's been hanging around my stash. I'm off to try it out!

thimblebug6000 04-08-2021 04:38 PM

Hmm..I'm going to consider this, as I have a block that my friend gave me years ago of a fan and she told me to make my own pattern from it....I should.

kristijoy 04-08-2021 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made one sunflower! And I'll pair it with this sunflower fabric remnant!