Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/grand-illusion-bonnie-hunters-mystery-quilt-2014-a-t255071.html)

Emma S 10-21-2014 05:17 AM

I wonder what kind of a impact BH's mysteries have on fabric sales. Might be a coincidence but a couple days after Bonnie posted her colors Fabric.com had a 15% sale on her colors.

sewbizgirl 10-21-2014 06:04 AM

I love everyone's fabrics! Mine are all ready to go! How will we ever wait until THANKSGIVING... so far away!

quilt addict 10-21-2014 12:23 PM

Rosie's in San Diego is ordering fabric specifically to match the colors for the quilt. they also have laminated the paint color chips that you can use to shop with in the store.

SunlitenSmiles 10-21-2014 01:36 PM

trying to think of an excuse to go to SanDiego....it is only a couple of hours drive if you pick the right time of day...like before dawn....and wait for the store to open....and get half way back before noon and have lunch at Rubys and speed the rest of the way home before four.....can you tell I have done this before.

JeanieG 10-21-2014 01:42 PM

Sunliten - what an excuse to drive to San Diego (love it) - for me it would be a 3 to 3 1/2 hour drive with good traffic! LOL

SunlitenSmiles 10-21-2014 03:45 PM

JeanieG....tomorrow I am going to check at CANDY'S in the valley............they have a huge selection and are tuned in to what is going on internet wise

Emma S 10-21-2014 04:54 PM

Roadtrip, roadtrip! Would be a 12 hour trip for me, nope, only way I'm getting there is to teleport. I'll be the one sparkling into existence.

pjnesler 10-21-2014 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy (Post 6935091)
You can pretty much count on lots and lots of small pieces in Bonnie's quilts. I don't think I've done one yet that wasn't over 3,000 pieces when it was said and done. But as you don't cut it all at once, it's not too overwhelming - and she's already said that this year's will be easier than last year's.

Although I've done several of her quilts, 3 or 4 of them as mysteries, I have yet to stay on schedule. Working full time and being gone or having company for both Thanksgiving and Christmas is a guarantee for me to not get it done, but I keep plugging away. Eventually they get done. My goal is within the year; sometimes I meet that goal and sometimes not. There are both Yahoo and Facebook groups devote to all things Quiltville; you'll find lots of support in either, should you choose to join. People continue to work on and encourage others long after the mystery is revealed.

Here are my fabrics. I will be using the yellow that is next to the pink. All of mine are toned down a bit from the colors on the paint chips. As my normal palette includes almost all earth tone and CW repro's, these are as bright as I can comfortably go!

BTW - my avatar quilt is the Quiltville mystery from 2 years ago. It's called "Easy Street;" I did not use the suggested colorway.

Your colors are great! I was surprised how different how the colors appeared on the Lowe's color cards vs how they appeared on my computer!

DogHouseMom 10-21-2014 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by lfstamper (Post 6935801)
peaceandjoy, your fabrics are fabulous! I so want to do this mystery quilt but am not sure about the time commitment.

LFStamper ... the only time commitment you need to make is to print the clues each week they come out. After that, you have all the clues and you can work on the remainder of the quilt in your own time. I don't think very many (if any) people actually FINISH all the work from each clue before the next clue is released.

SunlitenSmiles 10-22-2014 05:00 AM

checked the stash and have everything I need........what about this ruler, EZ angle, is it really that helpful ???

I have the June Tailor marking and squaring up tool...and it sure is better on my olde hands than previous methods.

Is this EZ angle another advancement or just a parallel method???

I find hundreds of tiny HST a bit intimidating, so planning on doing half as many of each step for a smaller quilt (as Bonnie suggested).