Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/grand-illusion-bonnie-hunters-mystery-quilt-2014-a-t255071.html)

sewbizgirl 10-31-2014 06:03 AM

Nice fabrics, Pam...

sewbizgirl 10-31-2014 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Pam H (Post 6950453)
You ladies have gotten me so excited about this MQ! I have never done one of Bonnie's but I am so addicted to MQ's. I printed out the first set of instructions the day she posted them. I just found this thread this evening and read through all the posts. I just pulled all this from my stash. Hopefully I can get the paint chips to make sure my colors are close. My nearest Lowes is 90 miles away. I don't have much for pinks so I substituted the orangey red. I'm thinking poppies instead of geraniums or whatever BH was thinking of with her pinks.

Call your local Ace Hardware store and see if they carry Valspar paint. Ours does. Maybe you won't have to go so far to get those paint chips, after all.

SueSew 10-31-2014 06:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 6950662)
Michelle, I love that dot! I keep going back to look at it. (All the other fabrics are beautiful, too.)

That's what happened with me, Pam. I read the thread and was swept up in the excitement. I had never thought about doing a mystery quilt before.

Me three! Ditto!!!

I've abandoned the Kaffe idea but it dawned on me her colors are similar to a baby quilt I just finished and I can 'hotten' them up with similar tiny-prints
here's a pic of the quilt - no purple allowed, alas :( But I wonder if that would fly instead of black....) (and yes I wish I had trapuntoed the squares to puff them out :( )
http://www.quiltingboard.com/attachm...d=497200&stc=1

Emma S 10-31-2014 06:31 AM

Sue: Such a beautiful quilt, the border fabric could not have been more perfect.

KalamaQuilts 10-31-2014 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 6950732)
Call your local Ace Hardware store and see if they carry Valspar paint. Ours does. Maybe you won't have to go so far to get those paint chips, after all.

Lots of places carry Valspar (or any other brand) but they won't have the same stock numbers. The big stores have their own stock numbers on paint and carpet, etc, so if you are comparison shopping you get a little stymied :)

That said just print off the first part of the mystery we have, and go by those color cards she showed.

susiequilt 10-31-2014 09:31 AM

I'm thinking of about 60 x 72 so will work with half and see what I need.
Since Bonnies is a square quilt I will have to make it work if I can. Sometimes you can't just leave off a row or add a row and keep the pattern as it is intended.

Question? What color thread would you use for piecing this?
Black? White? Grey? off white? does it matter?

:)

joe'smom 10-31-2014 09:53 AM

SueSew, what a lovely quilt! That narrow sashing adds so much!

What did you mean about purple not being allowed? It certainly worked well in your baby quilt. The 13th picture in Bonnie's intro shows the green wall, the pink couch, the black and white floor and there's a painting on the wall with blue and purple. If you cover up the floor, you can imagine how the palette would look with purple instead of black.

susiequilt, I would avoid using a thread dark enough to be conspicuous with the whites, so will probably use my go-to neutral, which I would call a warm beige.

SueSew 10-31-2014 09:55 AM

Joes' mom wrote - What did you mean about purple not being allowed? It certainly worked well in your baby quilt. The 13th picture in Bonnie's intro shows the green wall, the pink couch, the black and white floor and there's a painting on the wall with blue and purple. If you cover up the floor, you can imagine how the palette would look with purple instead of black.
Good idea! I thought we were supposed to use black...I will check the photos of that area again and print them and play with the colors. Another good clue here!

sewbizgirl 10-31-2014 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 6950789)
Lots of places carry Valspar (or any other brand) but they won't have the same stock numbers. The big stores have their own stock numbers on paint and carpet, etc, so if you are comparison shopping you get a little stymied :)

That said just print off the first part of the mystery we have, and go by those color cards she showed.

Really? I did not know that. I thought they were Valspar's numbers.

caspharm 10-31-2014 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 6951044)
Really? I did not know that. I thought they were Valspar's numbers.

They are Valspar numbers: http://www.valsparpaint.com/en/explo...-selector.html. It looks like Lowe's probably has the largest selection of Valspar cards after looking on the Valspar website.