Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/grand-illusion-bonnie-hunters-mystery-quilt-2014-a-t255071.html)

carrieg 11-08-2014 02:38 PM

I haven't got the ruler, & may not. But I do have the AccuQuilt fabric cutter with 1 HST die. Does Bonnie use a lot of different size HSTs in her quilts? Or does it tend to be 1 size, with a lot of them? Never made 1 of her quilts before, just wondering.

sewbizgirl 11-09-2014 05:53 AM

There's no way to know, at this point. It's a mystery!

Emma S 11-09-2014 06:29 AM

Carol: No guarantees but I've participated in two of her past mysteries and the pieces were all the same size. So the best I can say is if the past is any indication you will be making the same size HST.

SunlitenSmiles 11-09-2014 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S (Post 6960644)
Anita: I so agree with you on the needless ruler thing but I do have four non-ruler rulers, if you know what I mean. They are the Easy Angle, Tri Tool, Recs Tool and the Companion Ruler. They are not one use rulers, they use the basic rules of geometry to give you the variety of angles you naturally use in cutting the shapes. It's true that if you paid attention in geometry you can use the angled lines on a regular ruler but unfortunately I didn't. If you have a preferred method all to the good, just saying these aren't the one use kind.

Emma I so agree...did ok in geometry.....but the TriRecsTool set just makes it so precise...luv it.....can concentrate on the portion of the fabric I am using rather than figuring..did some awesome stars with it that probably would have required paper piecing...I purchased the easy angle yesterday and really pleased with it on trial run....thinking the companion angle might be purchased with my next 60% off one item coupon !!!

ILoveToQuilt 11-09-2014 06:24 PM

Well, what do you know, I was looking through a box of stuff I "inherited" from another quilter and in it is an Easy Angle ruler! It measures 4 1/2" on two sides and ??? (didn't measure) on the hypotenuse side. Is this the ruler BH is using? Guess I'll try to make the HST using the ruler (if it is the correct one)! I got a D- in geometry (I think the teacher felt sorry for me and passed me even though he shouldn't have) and math has always been a struggle for me.

Eagerly awaiting the first clue. Going to Lowe's in the morning for the color cards and will try to get 4-5 extra sets to send out to those who need/want them.

Have a great evening!

quiltsRfun 11-09-2014 07:24 PM

Yes, ILoveToQuilt, that's the ruler. There's also a larger size but the smaller one worked for me last year. Bonnie's patches are usually pretty small so I'm thinking it will work for this year as well.

carrieg 11-09-2014 07:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are my fabrics. If you look closely at the selvege, you can see the Benartex I bought a few years back in Paradise, Michigan. They apparently had a Mackinac Island line at one time, even similar colors, though not the brights. I decided to go with those. What better quilt to use them on than Grand Illusion!

joe'smom 11-09-2014 08:13 PM

I love those fabrics! How nice that you still had them. :)

Jim 11-09-2014 08:29 PM

We picked up several extra sets of the paint chips for this Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt. Since we saw so many unable to find them or a long distance prevented picking them up. If you need a set please private message me and we'll send them out. Jim and Char

CindyA 11-10-2014 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG (Post 6957352)

I use the fusible interfacing to bond the two pieces of batting back together before I quilt each section. I don't really consider it a QAYG project. The whole quilt top and backing is the finished size - the only thing I do different is cut the batting into 3rds. I quilt first the middle, attach the batting back on one side via about 1" to 1 1/2" of fusible interfacing, quilt that section, then do the same with the other side. You could also whip stitch the interfacing back together by hand, I have done this also. They actually have pre-made strips to fuse the batting together, but I just cut the interfacing myself - much cheaper. (Clear as mud!)

Thanks, Jeanie. I was on quilt retreat this past weekend and someone else suggested the same thinbg with fusible interfacing. I may try it, the only concern is that you'll feel that from the outside of the quilt. No one has mentioned that as a problem, however, so maybe I'm worrying about nothing.Thanks!