Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/grand-illusion-bonnie-hunters-mystery-quilt-2014-a-t255071.html)

baronreads 12-01-2014 08:05 AM

Hmmmm... So I actually have to do the math to figure out how many strips to cut. I hope I don't have to go shopping again since I cut the pink, blue and black all in strips already.... ;)

SunlitenSmiles 12-01-2014 08:12 AM

if it is any help.....my Daughter and I each managed 12 HST from each width of fabric strip.....we are each doing a 1/4 sized mystery quilt....................I agree with the "assume nothing" comment !

SuziSew 12-01-2014 08:17 AM

I just want to thank all of you who are posting your pictures here. I don't do facebook so it's the only chance I'll get to see them. Thanks!!:)

joe'smom 12-01-2014 08:32 AM

I would be happy to re-post some of my favorites from the facebook page, but I imagine that is not allowed?

SueSew 12-01-2014 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by SuziSew (Post 6990529)
I just want to thank all of you who are posting your pictures here. I don't do facebook so it's the only chance I'll get to see them. Thanks!!:)

Me too, I have not figured out how to be secure and PRIVATE with Facebook.

Of course, I bet if we googled 'images for bonnie hunter Grand illusion' you would have a lot of hits :)

quiltsRfun 12-01-2014 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by baronreads (Post 6990512)
Hmmmm... So I actually have to do the math to figure out how many strips to cut. I hope I don't have to go shopping again since I cut the pink, blue and black all in strips already.... ;)

That's what I did with my pink and blue. And, yes, I did go shopping again but I added to my mix so I think it will work out better in the long run. Can always use leftover 2-1/2 inch strips.

quilt addict 12-01-2014 01:14 PM

I'm not sure my math is correct but I did 6 2.5" strips WOF for the required number of HSQ using the easy angle ruler for step 1. I haven't finished yet so I may be off.

Zozee, breath and take a moment. So sorry about your mistake, I've had similar problems in the past. If fabric is no issue, I would start over so you will not have to relive the issue each week to recalculate the steps.

I do think this is easier so far then Celtic Solstis last year. Have most of my cutting done and about 1/3 of the sewing together. Have to travel this week so that will be all that gets done until Friday. I will have to sew a few more units together.

SueSew 12-01-2014 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety2911 (Post 6988108)
Sewed all my HST on a paper form that was online. Sadly not all HST are even and I have to trim most of them, GRRRRRR! I made up a few Broken Dishes and am loving the happy colors!

Tweety did you use the free Quilting and Whatnot? I looked at that one but went with another one I had used before when learning how to PP, which I had to adapt to size. I didn't like the way the Whatnot sewing lines just ended in nowhere and somehow it just didn't look to me like the dimensions were right - although I know other Board members have used it.

Truth to tell I THOUGHT :o I had adapted it to the correct size, and made up a 12-pack (1 8x10 sheet) of HST and discovered I had done my calculations wrong. I used the phrase 'finished size' to refer to the size of the HST, not to the size of the HST after it got sewn into a block. Oops! On the plus side, they were all oversize so I can cut them back.

All's well that ends well though, right?

Belfrybat 12-01-2014 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pam H (Post 6988872)
How did you press your blocks? I was hoping she would tell us in the instructions what would work best.

I used her "twirl" the center method since these are basically 4 patches. But you are right -- she didn't say.

whitepine 12-01-2014 02:22 PM

Podunk, I really like your muted colors. They're so different and will be fun to watch come together.