Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   International Patriotic Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/international-patriotic-challenge-t186260.html)

leggz48 05-17-2012 06:59 AM

QuiltE.....Yes, this is a Carpenter's Wheel 'remix' so to speak. I found a mottled red for a skinny border and a bright blue with white stars for a wider border; will back with a patriotic print (I had a couple of yards and luckily found 3 more yards on sale last week); then bind with either red or the patriotic print.......have to wait to see how it all fits. In the meantime, I have another project that has taken precendence. I promised my son a quilt for his Alzheimer's Fundraising Golf Tournament Raffle scheduled for mid-June. I am just now piecing it so, again....stay tuned!

Jenniky 05-17-2012 08:08 AM

Anna Your quilts are just WOW... very awesome. Did the Marine Corps one have a pattern name and where abouts to find.. I really like the design. :thumbup:

Jenniky 05-17-2012 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by yayaquilts (Post 5221177)
I happened upon this thread just the other day, thanks to Jen-jenniky(?)--thanks Jen. Love the patriotic fabrics you are using for the mystery quilt and for this one!!

Anyway I've been trying to catch up on what everyone's been chatting about--seems like a really fun and encouraging group!!:thumbup: I've got a patriotic quilt that i have been working on for quite awhile and this group may provide just the encouragement I need to finally finish it!! (I'd post a couple pics, but they are on our home computer and I'm away from home now, traveling to northern California to Fort Bragg to camp with our BFF's).

Love all the pictures of the patriotic quilts everyone has or is making!!

Woot Karen good to see you join us. I will look forward to seeing your patriotic quilt in progress when you return from your trip.

Leeks- Tried the mashed potatoes and Leeks...they were very yummy.. Thanks MUV.. the quiche posted by Annaquilts looks yummy.. I believe DH and I will try that next. And I didnt miss the ...Leeks are easy to grow.. Im going to get some seedlings from the farmers market.

Have a wonderful day. :) :) :)

QuiltE 05-17-2012 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by gardnergal970 (Post 5223150)
QuiltE...leeks are easy to grow.

There's just one little problem .... I have no where to grow them, other than in the flower beds. That is, unless I put a garden in my front lawn ... and that ain't gonna happen!! :D

Granted ... don't leeks grow wild in the bush? hhmmmmm?? Maybe I should introduce some, just as I have the trilliums .....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]336066[/ATTACH]
Trilliums are our provincial flower and are in full bloom right now. There were none in my bush when I came here nine years ago (gosh, has it "really" been THAT long? ... now I'm feeling old!). So because there were none, I moved some from a friend's bush ... illegal to pick, though perfectly OK to transplant! :) Just took this pick today.

Annaquilts 05-17-2012 04:46 PM

Yes, it is from a free pattern online. let me see if I can find it.

Ahh here you go-

http://www.qovf.org//ufiles/files_ph...IN%20QUILT.pdf

The army one and the marines one are essentially the same only the matrines one does not have the border and is smaller.
The center is a pillow panel from Walmart. If you need a marines one let me know we can trade for a
FQ or something.

Originally Posted by Jenniky (Post 5223563)
Anna Your quilts are just WOW... very awesome. Did the Marine Corps one have a pattern name and where abouts to find.. I really like the design. :thumbup:

dublb 05-17-2012 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5224559)

There's just one little problem .... I have no where to grow them, other than in the flower beds. That is, unless I put a garden in my front lawn ... and that ain't gonna happen!! :D

Granted ... don't leeks grow wild in the bush? hhmmmmm?? Maybe I should introduce some, just as I have the trilliums .....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]336066[/ATTACH]
Trilliums are our provincial flower and are in full bloom right now. There were none in my bush when I came here nine years ago (gosh, has it "really" been THAT long? ... now I'm feeling old!). So because there were none, I moved some from a friend's bush ... illegal to pick, though perfectly OK to transplant! :) Just took this pick today.

Oh it's a lovely flower!

Muv 05-18-2012 01:20 AM

QuiltE - not inspired to do a trilliums quilt? A mini wall hanging? They are so pretty the way they glow out of the shade.

Anna - love your quilts, especially the one with all the curved seams! The shades of blue and red are really lovely. Also,
thanks for adding the leek recipe. I will have to try it. My husband is a great one for savoury flans - he makes the pastry case and I do the filling.

Jenniky - thrilled that you have been converted to leeks. They are so versatile, keep for ever in the freezer, and most important, are TASTY!

Just think, if the Welsh didn't have the leek for their symbol a family in Indiana might never have tasted them. Just look where the Patriotic Challenge leads!

I'm well on the way now with the shamrock. After doing the wall hanging top I needed something quicker and easier, so the leek and the shamrock fitted the bill.

Speaking of Wales, we can see Wales from our upstairs windows on a clear day, and I'm going on a quick visit today to see some friends there... The shamrock will have to wait...

QuiltE 05-18-2012 03:25 AM

Muv ... Oh I'm inspired for trilliums, but haven't yet found a pattern to pull me into it yet! Nor has the creativity struck for me to figure it out myself. I've been contemplating for sometime, and yesterday's picture will be egging me on, I'm sure! Have a lovely day in Wales! Dropping in for a spot of tea with THE Wales'? :D

debquilts2 05-18-2012 07:22 PM

Hi just wanted to let you know that I would like to get in on the challenge. Dont know what I am going to do but will do something small.
Debquilts2

debquilts2 05-18-2012 07:25 PM

beautiful quilt