Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   International Patriotic Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/international-patriotic-challenge-t186260.html)

works4me 06-25-2012 06:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Busy place. :)

Jenniky - your firehouse block is looking great. You are very talented and creative.
dublb - congratulations and good luck with the "new" place. We know how most of your time will be spent for a while.
Muv - I hope you are feeling a lot better. Love the thistle. You do amazing work.
Liz92B - Welcome. That looks great. So glad you found us. We look forward to progress photos.
FMQ - Fabulous Muv.I agree that applique needs an outline. I have done free motion once or twice and still anchored my pieced blocks by stitching around important areas first. Mind you, my free motion is a lot looser than the typical tight little swirls and curls.
morelcabin - Fabulous. As QuiltE said, we will be around for a long time so would love to see a new project of yours.
gardnergal970-Yes, I, too, frequently use a different colour of thread in the bobbin for quilting. It just means you must be extra careful with your tensions as the thread colour could show on the wrong side if your tension is out.

I have a few craft fairs coming up so decided to do a few maple leaf items. I plan to do a large vase as well as a glass ice bucket in the maple leaf. Did a couple of votive holders this weekend.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]344524[/ATTACH]
Also bought a bunch of patriotic fabric this weekend so I guess there are more patriotic projects in my future.

QuiltE 06-25-2012 06:49 AM

W4Me .... Those are splendid! Such tiny leaves sprinkled over the glass!!! A perfect addition to your etchings.

works4me 06-25-2012 07:56 AM

Thank you QuiltE. Thank goodness the leaves are a punch. I cut most of my designs by hand and this size would be a nightmare. The larger ones will be fine to cut by hand.

Liz92B 06-25-2012 08:18 AM

2nd QoV block done

2 Attachment(s)
on Saturday, I got the 1st block done (already posted); on Sunday, I finished the 2nd block:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]344539[/ATTACH]
so now I have two whole blocks done, only a gazillion more to go!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]344540[/ATTACH]

dublb 06-25-2012 10:36 AM

Hooray for Liz! You'll git 'er done, one block at a time.

Jenniky 06-26-2012 05:33 AM

Hello Ladies, I had a lot to read to get caught up.. LOL :) Didnt get as much done as I would of liked yesterday. I prepped sandwich practice blocks and did a lot of reading, watching tutorials and took a long nap in there somewhere.

QuiltE the links you provided were invaluable thank you so much. I was studying a lot about threads yesterday the different wts. and I never knew that you could use a different color thread on the bottom and not have it show up on top. Im glad you like the way my mystery train is coming along. Im adding 20 inches to the top and 12 inches to the sides then a three inch solid color border all around. Im very excited about the additions I have come up with. I have to wait until Wednesday to finish. I need to go pick up more of the brown, blue and also Paisley material to achieve what I have drawn out. Its an hour drive to the material store where I bought the fabric.

Muv - Looking forward to seeing your Flax Flower when you are ready. The close up of the banner quilting was very helpful. I like how you used the zipper foot. Makes for a nice guide around the applique.

Dublb, JeanieG, Gardnergal, Works4me, Ladies you all have supplied me with invaluable insight and advice. Thanks for being so supportive in answering my requests for input. Hopefully I didnt miss anyone.. :) :) :) :) because you are all special friends. :) :) :) :)

yayaquilts 06-26-2012 07:24 AM

You ladies are so inspiring and encouraging!! Love all your "patriotic" quilts!

I have a question on FMQ?? Have any of you FMQ'd with minkee on the back? In the past I have mostly STID. I tried loops and that didn't work too well. The minkee made my loops too small!! I need some suggestions for quilting in between large stars--something to fill the space, besides stippling (with minkee on the back). Nothing too complicated as I am a novice at FMQ.

Thanks!

Jenniky 06-26-2012 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Liz92B (Post 5315624)
on Saturday, I got the 1st block done (already posted); on Sunday, I finished the 2nd block:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]344539[/ATTACH]
so now I have two whole blocks done, only a gazillion more to go!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]344540[/ATTACH]

How many blocks total do you need to make for your pattern?

Liz92B 06-26-2012 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jenniky
How many blocks total do you need to make for your pattern?

of the Maple Leaf, only 8 - there are four in the middle plus the four corners; the rest will be plain white with FMQ'd designs.

QuiltingJaguar 06-26-2012 09:21 AM

My Original 911 Quilt

2 Attachment(s)
This wall hanging was made in the two weeks after 911. I had to keep my self busy I was so upset. I drew the photo of the plane, buildings and inserted the words. I have never put a photo up and text since you updated the site so not sure I am doing this right. There are blue crossovers on the white with a gold star in the middle.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]344793[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]344794[/ATTACH]