Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Merry Mayhem's Mystery Quilt #146: Ups & Downs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/merry-mayhems-mystery-quilt-146-ups-downs-t316907.html)

Irishrose2 11-29-2021 06:36 PM

You're correct. 18 of each lt/dk would make 36 squares. Thank you.

petthefabric 11-29-2021 07:57 PM

The cutting and marking are done. Now for Dec 25. Because I have more green than anything else, it'll be, you guessed, green!

Didn't have enough of any one light so it has 3 lights. Has 18 med/dk. A very dark green for the accent.

vadalia 11-29-2021 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric (Post 8522508)
The cutting and marking are done. Now for Dec 25. Because I have more green than anything else, it'll be, you guessed, green!

Didn't have enough of any one light so it has 3 lights. Has 18 med/dk. A very dark green for the accent.

Ooooh, how exciting and brave to do scrappy lights! :thumbup:

happylab 12-03-2021 12:10 PM

Less than a month to go, yea.

vadalia 12-06-2021 06:41 AM

In a surprise (well surprising to me) move, I've got all my squares cut out and diagonals drawn on the backs. I had too many good potential fabric combos & was letting indecision paralyze me from actually getting started on the cutting, so I let my mother pick out my fabric instead. I'm very impressed with her selection, although there are a lot of directional patterns I hope work out (it's not like MM advised against directional patterns or anything) I just hope 4 different fabrics is enough for the scrappy part.

I'll try to see if I can post pictures of her selections later today, hopefully whatever error I was getting before has been resolved.

sewbizgirl 12-07-2021 09:14 AM

So nice to find this thread! I planned to do this quilt this year. I have the cutting list printed, but haven't cut anything out yet. Plenty of time before Christmas and step 2.

I plan to use scrappy lights instead of a single light... so will have a totally scrappy quilt. It may be a mess, but oh well.

SusieQOH 12-07-2021 09:32 AM

Vadalia, thanks! I'm going to jump in this year. Or should I say next year? :)

vadalia 12-08-2021 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 8524000)
I plan to use scrappy lights instead of a single light... so will have a totally scrappy quilt. It may be a mess, but oh well.

That's the spirit! I think a mystery quilt is the perfect time to take some risks because you always have an in-built excuse if you don't like the final product- "oh well, that's just how mystery quilts go- you win some, you lose some" :D

Welcome to all newcomers! So glad to see you!

I'm unfortunately still having trouble uploading any images :(

Blueridgebeverly 12-08-2021 10:59 AM

Thanks for getting things organized, vadalia! This will be my third Merry Mayhem. I was able to use fabric in my stash for the last two. Hope I can this time also.

vadalia 12-08-2021 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 636726
Whoo! Hopefully this worked- turns out I got a better phone camera and it was making the images too large to upload. And of course it'd be too easy for the error message to just tell me that :D

These were my mother's fabric picks- light in the middle with the medium/dark scrappy collection around it. I think she made some great choices there!