Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Merry Mayhem's Mystery Quilt #147 "Let's Face It" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/merry-mayhems-mystery-quilt-147-lets-face-t319618.html)

Rebaquilts 12-09-2022 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by vadalia (Post 8578875)
As for what color B you might want to buy instead good question. You have a little bit of blue here and there with some of your other fabric Cs (but it's not an all-over color in those fabrics like the orange & red is in their's) so blue might be a good option to tie things together without being too jarring. Or you could go extreme and up the contrast with a dark purple, since that makes up a triadic color scheme with the orange & green also prominent in your fabrics :) Good luck!

That is such a good point. I purchased a yellow/green/gray layer cake I've been wanting for a while for the Cs, and the triadic color scheme idea is a great idea for the contrast. Before I get my ABs I think I will try out a triadic and get out my color wheel.

Belfrybat 12-10-2022 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bailed on the Bonnie Hunter quilt this year so will do both the Cuts and Bolts NYE mystery and the Merry Mayhem NYD one. Of course, it will take me a couple of weeks or more to finish them. I was surprised at how many scraps I found of the appropriate size. I think I'm only duplicating 6 or 7 of them. The background fabrics are my A and B. I'll wait to chose borders when I see how this quilt turns out.

joe'smom 12-10-2022 03:50 PM

Sorry to see you leave the BH mystery, Belfrybat, but there's no point doing something you don't enjoy.

joe'smom 12-10-2022 07:43 PM

Very pretty fabrics, Belfrybat! I like your B selection very much. It seems to lift and brighten everything.

It's really instructive and helpful to see other people's selections. I'm having doubts at present about my choices, so once I am done cutting my Cs, I will post a photo of the alternate fabric B I have, to get your opinions.

Rebaquilts 12-11-2022 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 8579748)
Very pretty fabrics, Belfrybat! I like your B selection very much. It seems to lift and brighten everything.

yes it absolutely does. Nice selection!

joe'smom 12-11-2022 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are my cut (making lap size) C fabrics. On the left is the original dark I was considering, which would be used for both B and E (border). On the right are the fabrics I showed previously for D and E. My thinking then was that the blue dark would be too subdued, but now I'm thinking maybe something more subdued would serve to better showcase the C fabrics than something more distinctive like the pasture scene. Any thoughts would be welcome.

The cream on the left could be used either for A or for D, and the lighter cream on the right could serve for either A or D also. Do you have any thoughts on which would be better for which, or if they are too plain or too similar to each other?

Several of my C fabrics are oriented the wrong way. For now I'm not fretting about that, but if the time comes and I think they look too dumb, I will replace with duplicates of right way fabrics.

joe'smom 12-11-2022 05:53 PM

Okay, I think I've got it! :)

I found a beautiful flecked cream that I have plenty of, which I'll use for A. For B I just bought a yard of medium gray. For D I found a very light blue in my stash, which goes well with the blue fish fabric, which I'll use for E.

I'll post a photo when I have the gray fabric (if it works.)

Rebaquilts 12-12-2022 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 8579884)
Here are my cut (making lap size) C fabrics. On the left is the original dark I was considering, which would be used for both B and E (border). On the right are the fabrics I showed previously for D and E. My thinking then was that the blue dark would be too subdued, but now I'm thinking maybe something more subdued would serve to better showcase the C fabrics than something more distinctive like the pasture scene. Any thoughts would be welcome. The cream on the left could be used either for A or for D, and the lighter cream on the right could serve for either A or D also. Do you have any thoughts on which would be better for which, or if they are too plain or too similar to each other?

I understand that the outside cream will be the first outer border, and I like the left cream for that next to the blue outer border, with the lighter cream on the right nearer the Cs. And I really like your blue, it is a good pattern, not too much, not too little, and yes, it does showcase the fabrics just as you mentioned I agree. I found my fabrics but I wanted a lap not crib size, my layer cake doesn't have more than about 48 rectangles because the other fabrics are no-nothings and won't work. I got the color wheel out and that made quick work of the selection. I won't be using triad, instead I'll be using opposites on the wheel.

vadalia 12-16-2022 09:14 PM

Belfrybat, I'm loving those fabric Cs. I'm obsessed with the one that looks like watercolor flowers, it's gorgeous!

joe'smom, I know you went with different fabrics than the ones in your picture but I 100% agree with your thinking:

I'm thinking maybe something more subdued would serve to better showcase the C fabrics than something more distinctive like the pasture scene
Given the descriptions she uses when making fabric recommendations for A & B, I'm thinking those are going to be used both for a place to "rest the eye," so to speak, from all the scrappy fabrics & to provide contrast for those C fabrics. So I figure something simple and subdued but with high contrast to our Cs is going to have the highest chance of success. I do think your blue and cream were good possibilities though, and I'm eager to see the new potential A & B.

Rebaquilts, color wheel opposites are a great choice too!

jmoore 12-24-2022 04:48 AM

Sorry I’m late to this thread…A quilting friend of mine sent me an email an asked if I was going to participate in Merry Mayhem’s mystery this year…so I popped in here at the Quilting Board immediately. I have enjoyed catching up on everyone’s posts this morning with a cup of coffee.

This will be my fourth MMM but with two other quilt projects that I am in the midst of finishing, I will just make a crib size this year for the sake of keeping my sanity. 😜 Since it is a crib size, the I Spy concept will work splendidly and I have two options…a fun bright layer cake called Mojito that I have on hand or weeding through my children’s fabrics for C pieces.

Hubby and I will be visiting our children on the 26th and 29th in other parts of Maine and DH will likely be consumed by football games today so I have a couple of days to catch up on cutting. We have been without power since late last night but luckily we invested in a whole house generator earlier this Spring. 🤗