Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/orphaned-blocks-qayg-challenge-t196192.html)

charlottemarie 07-31-2012 06:41 PM

Patricia, I love your orphans, can I adopt some? LOL Jen, I am in, and I'll catch up to you guys by Sunday.

VickiM 07-31-2012 06:55 PM

Think I'll join...will watch awhile first, between vacations. This should be interesting...thanks for doing this. The QAYG method I usually use is the Fun & Done method...but I've also adapted it for different blocks I've had. Will have to check out my orphan blocks so they can be adopted!

vagabondindigo 07-31-2012 09:33 PM

I personally use pins for a quick basting. One of my favorite things abut QAYG is that I can get to the quilting part really fast, so the pins dont stay long at all. I also tend to quilt each block or section as I make them, rather than making a bunch and doing them at the same time.

If its a larger piece for basting I will use 'dots' of wonder under on both sides of the batting. Just along the edge, so I dont get too much shifting as I go. place the dots and set with a very hot iron. They are small enough (max 1 inch diameter) to place anywhere and not cause bulk or stiffness, and small enough that they dont create a perminant bond, so there is room to adjust as needed.

For small projects, like 4 inch blocks, I dont usually baste at all, just quilt away then cut it down to the size I need.

Jenniky 08-01-2012 04:41 AM

Liz92B - I totally understand about being heavy handed. I tend to be that way also. Sew ;). I take extra time to focus on accomplishing the opposite by being light handed. This has helped me to un-train my heavy handed ways. This also holds true for me and the iron. I still sometimes have a tendency to start off pressing hard with the iron and using a back and forth motion on my squares in the same manner I used to try to iron all the wrinkles and put in military creases on my uniform while I was in the Navy. :shock:

:thumbup: So I have to take the extra mental moment to work on retraining my movements on picking up and setting the iron down in a light pressing motion so I don't disfigure the fabric I'm working with.

QuiltE - Yes the spray basting can pictured is June Tailors'. Not a spray I recommend personaly but need to finish off the can before I buy a different brand to try. Im planning on trying the 505 Spray next because I have heard some good things about it.

Ronda - The long running stitch is also a good method of basting.
:thumbup:The only thing I would change is to not run it along the borders. I will cover what I have learned about this more later on.

Charlottemarie - Welcome Aboard :) I look forward to seeing your project.

VickiM - Im checking into the Fun & Done Method
:thumbup: to see if it is like any of the methods I have encountered. Look forward to seeing a picture of your adopted blocks.

Vagabondindigo - Welcome Aboard :) Looking forward to you sharing your QAYG UFO with us. I had trouble viewing your completed quilt link. Thanks you for sharing all the great info and experience you have had with basting. Im going to check into those "Wonder Dots" I have never heard of them.

chatonne40 08-01-2012 05:21 AM

I'm in too.
I was planning to try QAYG for my next project so this is perfect for me!
Thanks

Jenniky 08-01-2012 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by chatonne40 (Post 5410296)
I'm in too.
I was planning to try QAYG for my next project so this is perfect for me!
Thanks

Welcome Chatonne another Canuck to join the group QuiltE will be most pleased. :)

Liz92B 08-01-2012 07:13 AM

I have a can of 505 that I use with appliqué on my embroidery machine, works like a charm - will have to try it with quilt basting!! Wal-Mart has it cheap: http://www.walmart.com/ip/J.T.-Tradi...unces/12461363

rwquilts 08-01-2012 07:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I think I will use these blocks for my challenge. They are leftovers from a couple of swaps and all are 6 1/2" unfinished blocks so I can practice on smaller sizes to see if I like doing this. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]352919[/ATTACH]

sunrise450 08-01-2012 07:48 AM

Please include me! I have several blocks that I would like to make table runners with plus many orphan blocks that are just sitting waiting to be put into a quilt. I will have to learn how to put pictures here. This will be a complete learning experience for me. I am really looking forward to finally finishing some quilts using this method.
Phyllis

SewExtremeSeams 08-01-2012 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Patricia Faye (Post 5409165)
Jen, I'm going to join in so I can learn the QAYG techniques. I have lots of paper pieced blocks (in different sizes) from block swaps that I want to put into a quilt & I have the State Star blocks to put together. I think I'll practice on the swaps first then after I feel comfortable will work on the State Stars.

Here are some of the blocks. I think I have enough to select from and enough in the same sizes to practice on.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]352781[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]352783[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]352784[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]352785[/ATTACH]

Jen, thank you for taking the time to put this tutorial together.

Hey, Patricia, I see my blue watering can in the top group! Cool.

Jen, I am interested in following your tutorial. Maybe I will get out my Sunbonnet Sues and finish that for my granddaughter! I will have to play catch up though.

Thanks for posting it.