Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/orphaned-blocks-qayg-challenge-t196192.html)

Jenniky 08-27-2012 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG (Post 5469881)
Here is one row (front and back) of my QAYG Baby Quilt. I'm so excited about how easy this was, I just hope that they line up okay when I do the rows. I tried pinning the pieces, as Jenniky did, but I found it much easier to just put tiny dots of school glue along the edges and press it. This made it much easier to sew. I used my 1/4" foot for the edges, then changed to my SITD foot for machine sewing the final seam. I do not do hand stitching if I don't have to.

JeanieG - The Baby quilt is coming along very nicely. This next QAYG quilt Im working on I'm planning on doing all machine stitching. Im thinking I will try your method JeanieG. and use the dots of glue and pressing instead of the pinning. :thumbup:

Jenniky 08-27-2012 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by sunrise450 (Post 5471225)
Hi everyone, I have been following your class, just waiting to get a few things done so I can be free to start these lessons.
I used fleece for the back of my great granddaughter's quilt and it turned out great. Plus it was so easy to quilt. The only problem I can see is that it is so warm. Certainly not a summer quilt!

Hello back at you Sunrise. :) Sounds like your dggd's quilt is going to be very useful come the cold winter months. :thumbup:

Boston1954 08-27-2012 06:46 AM

JeanieG - Like you, I am hoping fervently that my rows line up with each other. I believe I am going to check them closely before I start pinning. If they are off a bit, I might slice off a smidgen.

Boston1954 08-27-2012 06:49 AM

Boston - Wow your stitches are lovely. If yaou want ta see how the wool quilts ya could buy a small piece & try a few stitches.

Sorry Dublb, I cannot work with wool as I am allergic. That's okay though, I love the Warm and Natural.

DeneK 08-27-2012 08:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I finished my test of this process. I made 8 blocks pretty nondescript just to see if I could do this (fairly easily). My first 2 blocks were set wrong so I just changed the whole layout as wasn't worth ripping. So my test piece is not very pretty... I have a set of sun bonnet sue type blocks that are for a quilt for one of my DIL. I need a QAYG method to join them and was not happy with where I was headed. I believe this will work nicely so I am going to get those all squared up and ready to finish.

dublb 08-27-2012 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 (Post 5471374)
Boston - Wow your stitches are lovely. If yaou want ta see how the wool quilts ya could buy a small piece & try a few stitches.

Sorry Dublb, I cannot work with wool as I am allergic. That's okay though, I love the Warm and Natural.

Oh yes, stay away from the wool!!!! No allergies allowed!

Originally Posted by DeneK (Post 5471652)
I finished my test of this process. I made 8 blocks pretty nondescript just to see if I could do this (fairly easily). My first 2 blocks were set wrong so I just changed the whole layout as wasn't worth ripping. So my test piece is not very pretty... I have a set of sun bonnet sue type blocks that are for a quilt for one of my DIL. I need a QAYG method to join them and was not happy with where I was headed. I believe this will work nicely so I am going to get those all squared up and ready to finish.

Your Sue's are gonna be beautiful! I like the first set o' blocks. Bind 'em & call 'em a Table Runner. Done!

Boston1954 08-27-2012 10:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, I have six of the blocks put together. They look okay from a distance, but when you get a bit closer, you can see that they could have lined up a bit better. I hope my sister will not be too critical when she sees it.

JeanieG 08-27-2012 11:50 AM

Anne, no one will notice this unless they are an avid quilter! I think they are just fine, and it is your first time trying this. I have one more row to do and I'll have mine together too! I love your Christmas prints, so cute!

Pinkiris 08-27-2012 12:13 PM

Anyone have the answer on how we can tell which side of the W & N is the scrim side, and whether we put that to the backing or towards the top of our quilt???

ssnare 08-27-2012 01:03 PM

The quilts are all beautiful. I have a problem . I wanted to add more blocks to the center that we started in QAYG. My blocks were 9" square. So, I had smaller blocks and I have carefully measured each block to be 9" squares. I have done everything step by step as I first did. They have been quilted and the sashing has been added. Now when I try to align the sashings, the center blocks are smaller and the sashings do not match. What can I do? HELP, PLEASE!!!!!