Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Scrap those scrap mounds (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/scrap-those-scrap-mounds-t297005.html)

WMUTeach 05-20-2018 02:42 AM

It has been hinted to in this thread but I want to say it out loud. Where do all of those scraps come from? I have not purchased fabric for a specific quilt in 2 years, other than backing. Yet, my scraps keep growing. I have cut scraps into standard usable cuts and the scraps keep multiplying. I now have the reputation in my guild as the scrap quilt member. HELP! I really would like to make a quilt out of new fabric chosen for that person and that quilt but can't justify the cost when I have so much fabric on hand in the form of scraps. Perhaps it is elves working in my sewing room "cutting up" and leaving scraps behind. You bet I will join. I have one bin that I would like to clear out this year. Hi-ho away we go to minimize to the maximum.

pocoellie 05-20-2018 03:44 AM

I love all the lovely scrappy quilts shown, and will of course join this "movement", since I also have a Ton or more of scraps. LOL

Macybaby, the third pic of yours(on the longarm) is that one finished yet? I Really love it and would like to see a better pic of it.

mslbd 05-20-2018 05:43 AM

Hello,

I went on a binge of cutting up my scraps into usable pieces and think I have really injured my upper arms. I've been in pain for over a month. The pain sometimes goes away but doesn't stay for long.

The only thing I can think is that my rotary blade wasn't sharp enough and I was putting too much pressure on my arms. What are your thoughts?

Annaquilts 05-20-2018 07:07 AM

Amazing quilts! I will be following this thread. I love scrap quilts. Yes, lets not forget applique!

homecaregiver 05-20-2018 07:41 AM

Hi luvstoquilt. Been a while. I like your idea for putting your scraps in order. I am in the process of doing away with all the things in my house that I have not used for ever. I have wanting to do this and corral all my fabrics and I am going to follow your idea and do the same. I can make quilt tops but I know I cannot possibly hand quilt them all but at least tops will be made. Be nice to see you again.

sash 05-20-2018 08:45 AM

I love scrappy quilts so yes, I want to join in too. I love making string quilts and have just started crazy quilting (loving that), and also working on diamonds are forever (I think that's what it is called; Bonnie Hunter) all using my scraps. I have two tubs of strings I'm working with. Love all those quilts everyone has posted; really beautiful.

pal 05-20-2018 09:17 AM

Macybaby, those are scrap quilts???? Every one of them is better than anything thing I've ever planned and done.

Woe is me.........You are extremely talented! That first black quilt knocked my sox off.

LTeachergeorge 05-20-2018 12:30 PM

Macybaby, really LOVE what your striped fabric does to your first quilt shown. All the scrap quilts are great! I'm also known as the scrap queen -- will always take another quilters'scraps. It's better than my birthday to see what others have used. The owner of our LQS also saves scraps for me (I do work there part time). I am joining in but may need more time than 6 months. LOL!!

Linda in Missouri

sewbizgirl 05-20-2018 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach (Post 8061378)
It has been hinted to in this thread but I want to say it out loud. Where do all of those scraps come from? I have not purchased fabric for a specific quilt in 2 years, other than backing. Yet, my scraps keep growing. I have cut scraps into standard usable cuts and the scraps keep multiplying. I now have the reputation in my guild as the scrap quilt member. HELP! I really would like to make a quilt out of new fabric chosen for that person and that quilt but can't justify the cost when I have so much fabric on hand in the form of scraps. Perhaps it is elves working in my sewing room "cutting up" and leaving scraps behind. You bet I will join. I have one bin that I would like to clear out this year. Hi-ho away we go to minimize to the maximum.

Scraps come from your stash, too. As you use stash fabric to make quilts, you make new scraps. And if you get the reputation as the stash quilter in your guild, the ladies will bring you bags of scraps! Ask me how I know... :hunf:

sewbizgirl 05-20-2018 01:02 PM

Those scraps will take up so much less room if you periodically cut them into useable sizes: 10", 5", 2.5" and 2.5" strips. I use those plastic stacking drawers to store mine in. Scraps are great to have. Don't be in any rush to get rid of them.

I love all the beautiful scrap quilts that have been posted here!

I'm quilting a scrappy string quilt with piano key border today. I'm loving it a lot! And all the scraps were given to me by a fellow group (guild) member. :D