Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-11-2017, 03:35 PM

I had a class with Bonnie a few years ago, I had to Make strings to do the project which lead to more and more strings. and then selvages...

cotton boll used them, the incredible tsunami in Japan was that year. I made a smaller version using my grey and blacks, such a sad time. Love the quilt though

Whatever the first time was I didn't think I'd ever get finished and didn't much care for the experience. But the multiple shade give the quilts such a richness...and I enjoy doing them now.
Attached Thumbnails roll-roll-cotton-boll-quilt-detail.jpg   roll-roll-cotton-boll-quilt-detail-2.jpg  
Old 12-11-2017, 04:54 PM

Wow KalamaQuilts that is a striking quilt - I love it and can see that it took lots of time and work. GramE, your colors are so calming and elegant looking. And Imanna - your prints are beautiful and I really like it with the grey too.

I have finally finished with clue #3 and just in time before I need to turn the sewing room back into the guest room by Wednesday. Here are a few of mine - with an attempt to step out of the box with more interesting neutrals this time. You ladies all inspire me to become less controlled.
Attached Thumbnails christmas-stocking-002.jpg  
Old 12-11-2017, 05:27 PM

Imanna...love your greys and pinks. It will be fun to see how different color combinations finish up.

GramE...I’m in the same boat as you, I don’t have many neutrals in my stash so I have had to purchase some third or half yard cuts to get a variety.

I got a slow start to Clue 3, in fact, I think I’ve only got 20 sewn and pressed. I usually join a Sit & Sew group on Wednesdays at a LQS so I’ll be working on them Wednesday. Good job everyone and I’m jealous of those who have them finished already.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:37 PM

Thanks for all the compliments on my gray/pink combos. I wasn't 100% sure at first but you have all convinced me to play it out as is.

I love seeing everyone's choices and guesses on what the layout may be. This is my first mystery quilt ever and so am feeling a little disjointed but I'm enjoying it...I think ;-)
Old 12-11-2017, 09:24 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Sorry about the rant last weekend. Clearly, I react poorly when schedule changes throw my entire life into chaos. Unloaded everything from the car, shoveled twice on Friday/Saturday, went to the grocery store since I had carefully eaten all of the perishables in preparation for leaving. Then went back to my play room. Finished clue 2 Sunday, while the Vikes were losing. Sewed all the left leaners and half of the right for Clue 3 today. When chain piecing, it’s best for me if it is completely mindless—repetitively sewing exactly the same seam, so that was how I put them together. Should be able to finish up the righties tomorrow. Repack the car and take off after the rescheduled party/meeting Thursday.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Carol in WI View Post
Wow KalamaQuilts that is a striking quilt - I love it and can see that it took lots of time and work. GramE, your colors are so calming and elegant looking. And Imanna - your prints are beautiful and I really like it with the grey too.

I have finally finished with clue #3 and just in time before I need to turn the sewing room back into the guest room by Wednesday. Here are a few of mine - with an attempt to step out of the box with more interesting neutrals this time. You ladies all inspire me to become less controlled.
Carol, your units are beautiful! Congratulations on finishing this clue. I only have 9 done, and I'm only half way through Clue #2.

Leslie
Old 12-12-2017, 12:02 AM

Does anyone have a favorite way to do the Clue #3?
I tried several today with scrap fabrics....some were not easy, some left unfavorable results!
I really like it when I can easily cut the fabric, slap the two right sides together, sew a scant 1/4" seam and have a great unit!!!
Thank you for all your help...
Kirsten
Old 12-12-2017, 03:48 AM

So far, this year's mystery quilt looks like a challenge to make! I just don't have the time to work on one right now, but have been enjoying following along with all of you as you progress through it! I have printed off all the clues so far....doesn't that count???
Old 12-12-2017, 05:51 AM

I have made a start on Clue 3 but have not done anything on it since Friday. Only have about 3 of each side done. I am scheduled this morning to have laser surgery on my left eye to remove scar tissue following cataract surgery last spring. My one eye will be dilated so not sure if I can sew today or not. Seems to take forever for my eye to return to normal. Love seeing all your finished blocks. Wonderful color combinations.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:08 AM

So many beautiful Clue 3s!

Imanna - Great alternative color/fabric choices. This is my 1st mystery as well and I admire your boldness and am sure it will look dynamite when complete.

Carol in WI - I just love all the action in your coral fabrics! Your 3s are spectacular!