Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 01-02-2018, 03:46 PM

Thanks for all the input. I think if I were going to do one of the BH layouts it would be one of the half outie, half innie, verions. It makes more design sense to me since the "sashing" has a different orientation between the two blocks, and I think adds a better "interest" for lack of a better word. However I really think I am going w/ my version of the layout. I like the others, but have a deeper response to it. It has secondary and tertiary patterning that I find interesting, and the added bonus of tricking you into thinking it is on point, when it is not, something that in the overall design of the whole layout I have plans to accentuate.

There have been some great ideas on the FB group. One that I especially liked was making those setting triangles strip pieced. I think that looks so much better then those big chunks of colors.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post

There have been some great ideas on the FB group. One that I especially liked was making those setting triangles strip pieced. I think that looks so much better then those big chunks of colors.
Exactly. I thought so too. When the whole center is made up of tiny pieces, those big chunks look out of place, like somebody was in a hurry to finish up.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:08 PM

That is exactly what it looks like to me too.
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Exactly. I thought so too. When the whole center is made up of tiny pieces, those big chunks look out of place, like somebody was in a hurry to finish up.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:13 PM

It is true it looks nothing like ORL, but w/ the exception of an added hst, it has all the units and in nearly the same ratio as ORL (the way the overall design will play out)
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Kass, I would say #1 is the most "your own". It would be a striking quilt and no one would say it was On Ringo Lake! Then, I really like #2, Bonnie's way but not on point, because I love the folded corners block. It's also the way I did mine. #3 is cool because it looks like a 2-block quilt. Beyond that, my brain got confused on #4 and #5....

Big decision, for you, but all your options are pretty.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:22 PM

Kass ... I like 1, 4 & 5 the best.

I like the idea of string piecing the setting triangles. Perhaps even incorporating aqua, neutral and coral. I think I'll play with that.

I played with the color layout a bit in EQ and came up with this. I do want to use the aqua/brown half squares as the "head" of the setting triangle, and of course now also considering string piecing the setting triangles (the other benefit is that I accidentally over cut a LOT of aqua 1.5" strips so ... might as well use them!!).

My changes .... the aqua/brown/coral shaded 4 patch became an aqua and brown shaded 4 patch.
The cornerstone in the sashing is neutral.

Before I saw the idea of string piecing the setting triangles, I was trying to decide if I they looked better in aqua or brown, so I show them both in the pic below. Leaning toward aqua strings!!

I'm kind of digging the weird oval secondary pattern the neutral cornerstone gives me.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this.[ATTACH=CONFIG]586465[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails ringo-lake.jpg  
Old 01-02-2018, 04:23 PM

I'm thinking about calling it Ringo's Sister, since sisters share the same DNA but look different.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:26 PM

Love the neutral cornerstones, changing the very southwest shape into the cool ovalish look.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
I'm thinking about calling it Ringo's Sister, since sisters share the same DNA but look different.
Great title. Love it.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:18 PM

I need a Like button on QB!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-09-2018 at 12:35 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 01-02-2018, 05:28 PM

Love the idea of piecing those setting triangles.

I am simply not finding something that works for me for what I've done so far for Ringo Lake. I think I could have been happy if my aqua and pink were swapped. I spent almost all of yesterday on EQ8 futzing around with options.

I do Love this version: https://www.instagram.com/p/BdaoUp8n9VJ/ and am considering doing something similar. Of course this would mean I would have to repurpose my existing Ringo Lake parts for something else. I do have an all flying geese quilt on my bucket list. And the corners could be cut off the sashing pieces and repurposed as half square triangles in something else.

Going to way until the next link up on the 8th - maybe something else will inspire me.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-09-2018 at 12:35 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps