Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 10-24-2018, 07:36 AM

I don't think I'll ever be able to resist joining in a Bonnie mystery. All of the hubbub is such fun.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:40 AM

Jmoore, your quilt is indeed beautiful and will be worth all those hours of work as you cuddle under it. I'm also anxious to see what colors Bonnie chooses this year before I decide to get on board with it. I don't do scrappy very well and may have to go with yardage if I do sign up for it.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

Has Bonnie given any indication of when she will post colors?
Old 10-24-2018, 10:07 AM

It is almost always on or around halloween time.

Jmoore lovely finish

Sewbiz great sweater,

Every year I tell myself I'm not doing the mystery again, but then "I remember" (Dr. Moon, sorry shameless DW reference I just rewatched that episode) I have been thinking about the colors I would use IF (lol lol lol) I were going to make it this year and I think I'm going w/ black / white / silver (ehem or would be if I were doing it). Bonnie's colors only matter to me in how many there are and yardages as I choose my own colors.

In all seriousness I believe I will make a very small percentage of them at the sew along time, then at the reveal see about any fussy cutting opportunities. (stripes or graphic 2 color images (graphic as in stark not obsene))
Old 10-24-2018, 11:40 AM

Thanks Carol and Kaussandra...now to choose a backing.

I’m sure each of us hold a curiosity of Bonnie’s upcoming mystery whether we decide to jump in or not, I’m sure most of us will be awing and ooing.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:48 AM

I'm with Joe's mom. Cannot resist. I'll buy all the stuff and a new tub to put it on the UFO shelf if I can't finish it before something else of great interest takes over.

Just today I introduced two young Amish women to an Oliso iron. They were totally amazed. They are still using butane or heating it on the stove.

Marcia
Old 10-24-2018, 01:27 PM

what joe's mom said. I've learned so much, starting with thinking I knew everything there was to know.

Consistent piecing so seams spin
At some point I'd forgotten all about finger pressing...it is such a time saver.
Using a constant with scrappy to pull things together.
to not be afraid of 700 2" 1/2 square triangles.
that we can, as quilters alone, quilt with many other quilters
appreciate their progress, get questions answered nearly instantly
to take those answers with a grain of salt, and reread the instructions

I started the first mystery because I had breast cancer (2011) and my months of radiation started on December 1.
The friday clues gave me something to look forward to, during a time I balked at getting bread and eggs and milk.
I was sure I wouldn't be alive to eat them. But I could make it a week, for the next clue.

Since then a lot of really dark water has gone under the bridge, but I'm much better now
mentally and physically, and I'm in for this winters too.

On the other hand I'm retired and my quiltroom is ready. If I were still working full time or had a house full of kids I probably wouldn't be interested, there are only so many hours in the day. Sometimes I think about going back and doing the mysteries I was too busy to make. Um, I don't think so wouldn't be the same.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:22 PM
Power Poster

I didn't know that about you, Kalama... I'm glad that you are recovered and doing better now. It's a great thing that the mystery quilt gave you a bright spot to look forward to every week. Wonderful!
Old 10-24-2018, 03:05 PM

I'm glad you found something to "make it to Friday". I agree going back and doing past ones wouldn't work for me either I love the camaraderie more then the quits and don't think I could sew 1 million repeats w/o it!!! lol
Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
what joe's mom said. I've learned so much, starting with thinking I knew everything there was to know.

Consistent piecing so seams spin
At some point I'd forgotten all about finger pressing...it is such a time saver.
Using a constant with scrappy to pull things together.
to not be afraid of 700 2" 1/2 square triangles.
that we can, as quilters alone, quilt with many other quilters
appreciate their progress, get questions answered nearly instantly
to take those answers with a grain of salt, and reread the instructions

I started the first mystery because I had breast cancer (2011) and my months of radiation started on December 1.
The friday clues gave me something to look forward to, during a time I balked at getting bread and eggs and milk.
I was sure I wouldn't be alive to eat them. But I could make it a week, for the next clue.

Since then a lot of really dark water has gone under the bridge, but I'm much better now
mentally and physically, and I'm in for this winters too.

On the other hand I'm retired and my quiltroom is ready. If I were still working full time or had a house full of kids I probably wouldn't be interested, there are only so many hours in the day. Sometimes I think about going back and doing the mysteries I was too busy to make. Um, I don't think so wouldn't be the same.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:02 PM
Power Poster

Oct. 31, aka Halloween, is only a week from today. Hope that is the day the paint chips are posted! It will be interesting to see what color scheme she has chosen.