Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Blackberries are ripe! >

Blackberries are ripe!

Blackberries are ripe!

Old 06-08-2019, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
thornless blackberries are not wild, they are a unique berry "bush" modified to grow without protective thorns. I planted six small plants several years ago within the fenced garden barrier, and they supply an abundant amount of berries each year with out the pain. I leave the wild berries for the deer and wildlife.
I have the thornless. I have to cut the runners back. I can't bear to toss them but I have too many and my friends all have enough to get rid of. They multiply fast. I have been planting them in the wooded areas around our neighborhood. We have acres of woods surrounding us.

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-08-2019 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:34 AM

Lucky you. I planted a bunch of thornless blackberry bushes for my sister as she loves them. Got some really nice berries off them too but found they took so much room and where I planted them just wasn't feasible so when my sister moved to a larger lot I dug them up and planted up at her place. Now she can take care of them. I had planted raspberries in my raised beds too and they have pretty much taken over. I went ahead and planted 4 additional white/cream raspberry bushes this year in place of the blackberries. The red seem to take over as the white ones do not. Right now my strawberries are producing so I'm taking time out everyday to pick them, sometimes twice a day. The plants are so loaded that the berries hide under the leaves so not many get taken by the birds. Enjoy your blackberries.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
Yummy! I wish I lived close by.
That is what I thought, MI is too far away for a quick trip.
The berries sure do look wonderful.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:15 PM

I've used this recipe with a large can of sliced peaches (with syrup) in place of the blackberries. Sprinkle a dash of cinnamon on the top with the sugar. This cobbler is yummy and lives up to its name -- "Lazy Day Dessert".
Old 06-08-2019, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
Lucky you. I planted a bunch of thornless blackberry bushes for my sister as she loves them. Got some really nice berries off them too but found they took so much room and where I planted them just wasn't feasible so when my sister moved to a larger lot I dug them up and planted up at her place. Now she can take care of them. I had planted raspberries in my raised beds too and they have pretty much taken over. I went ahead and planted 4 additional white/cream raspberry bushes this year in place of the blackberries. The red seem to take over as the white ones do not. Right now my strawberries are producing so I'm taking time out everyday to pick them, sometimes twice a day. The plants are so loaded that the berries hide under the leaves so not many get taken by the birds. Enjoy your blackberries.
I live in Arkansas. When I lived in upstate NY, there were black and bronze raspberries growing in the back yard of
the house we rented. I was so pleased. We left NY in1977. Just this week I found a berry farm in central Arkansas that grows and sells red raspberries. I, of course,have already visited the farm and bought raspberries. The farmer told me that this is about as far south as raspberries will grow.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:16 PM

I enjoy eating them in pancakes.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:49 AM

Oh my Onebyone; I'm So jealous of all those lovely berries. My parents had 2 very long rows of thornless berries; they were soooooo good. I love them. Enjoy your bounty. They look scrumptious!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-09-2019 at 10:40 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps