Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Bowled Over >

Bowled Over

Bowled Over

Old 05-18-2021, 08:04 AM

Default Bowled Over

"Bowls" , or "Buddha Bowls" have been a big thing in the food world for about 8, or 10 years now. You can even find them pre-made in your local supermarket, or even fast food drive-throughs. I buy them occasionally at the deli section in our Safeway and the Panda Express. They're just OK...nothing to write home about. But, the ones that we make at home are really yummy and unique. Most of ours are chock full of highly nutritional goodies and are fun to eat. Plus, they're easy to make and require minimal clean-up.

I won't go into the step-by-step instructions on how to make a bowl. I think it's pretty self-explanatory. You just start with a big bowl, layer the ingredients from the bottom up. Begin with a starchy base s/a rice (I prefer brown) or a good noodle, or even potatoes, then pile on the layers of different ingredients, depending on what flavor profile you are going for. You can make them hot, or cold.

Here are some of my favorite combos:

(Hot) Cooked brown rice, seasoned Natto, baby spinach, cooked onion slivers, cooked broccoli florets, sprinkling of Spanish peanuts, sliced mango, grape tomatoes, spicy stir fry sauce drizzled on top.

(Hot, or cold) Cooked brown rice, cooked, peeled shrimp, cooked, cubed salmon, 1 canned sardine, shredded cabbage, baby spinach, cubed cucumbers, cubes of any cheese, capers, Kalamata olives, dressed with tomato sauce from canned sardines, a spritz of fresh squeezed lemon juice.

(Hot) Cooked brown rice, hot chili beans, grated cheddar cheese, shredded carrots, olives, chopped onions, cooked, cut-up hot dog (I like the vegan ones,) drizzled in ranch dressing.

(Hot) hot mashed potatoes, cooked spinach, grilled chopped chicken, cooked chopped mushrooms, cooked carrots, cooked peas.

I could go on and on. What are some of your bowl ideas?
Old 05-18-2021, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

I will take one of each please👍
Old 05-20-2021, 06:17 AM

I like to make a big pot of rice up ahead of time, then I can have it ready for a quick, put-together of whatever I have in the fridge that day. I get some strange combos sometimes, but they're all good and healthy. You can use any grain. Sometimes, I'll also make up some buckwheat to go in the bowls.

Here's instructions and some recipes for vegan bowls. (They don't have to be vegan though. You can use meat, or seafood, if you want.) https://www.feastingathome.com/vegan-buddha-bowls/

Last edited by tropit; 05-20-2021 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-06-2021, 07:44 AM

Good plan !
Old 06-06-2021, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

We call them scrap bowls. LOL One of my favorites to make although not rice, is a can of tuna, a can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed, mixed with basil pesto to taste, salt to taste. I keep a bowl of it in the fridge. I eat a bowl of it for lunch or anytime I feel I need a snack. I add any leftover vegetable I have handy.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:12 AM

Your recipes sound wonderful! You have some combinations I haven't tried!

I do southwest style bowls frequently:

Salad Lettuce, Black beans, Cilantro Rice, Stir fry vegetables (with cumin seed and some southwest seasoning), cherry tomatoes, cheese, avocado (or guacamole), drizzled with poblano or chipotle dressing.

Old 07-11-2021, 02:05 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

[QUOTE=....Salad Lettuce, Black beans, Cilantro Rice, Stir fry vegetables (with cumin seed and some southwest seasoning), cherry tomatoes, cheese, avocado (or guacamole), drizzled with poblano or chipotle dressing.[/QUOTE]

This is the way I like them, too. Give me Mexican/southwest flavors any time!! If you have a Kroger, look for the Private Selection sauces/dressings with poblano, etc.

Jan in VA