Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Butternut squash, any other ways to prepare aside >

Butternut squash, any other ways to prepare aside

Butternut squash, any other ways to prepare aside

Old 12-21-2013, 11:46 AM

Default Butternut squash, any other ways to prepare aside

from cooking and mashing? I would like to take squash to a supper, but would like something different than the normal mashed with butter? And I would like if possible to prepare it the day before and bake the day of? Thanks for any thoughts on this one.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:09 PM

Had these at SIL's last week. Don't see why butternut squash wouldn't work instead of sweet potatoes.
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/b...t-potato-bites
Old 12-21-2013, 12:27 PM

I like to roast it with Brussels sprouts and an apple. A nice combo, with salt and butter. Maybe a few cruising thrown in.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:17 PM

The bacon wrapped squash or sweet potato sound great. Now I would definitely try this for an appetizer. Thank you. The brussel sprouts sound good, too.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:37 PM

This is my favorite recipe for butternut squash:

ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH

3 pounds butternut squash - peeled
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt

1/4 cup slivered almonds or coarsely chopped walnuts - toasted in the oven or a dry skillet
1 tablespoon (or so) Reduced Balsamic Vinegar, thickened for drizzling *directions below

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

As soon as the oven is hot, you can toast the nuts for garnishing: spread them on a sheet pan and bake for 5 minutes, shaking them up once or twice, until lightly colored and fragrant. Keep a close watch so they don’t burn.

Peel the squash (any sweet-fleshed winter squash is suitable) and cut in half lengthwise and scoop out all the seeds and fibers. Place each half cut side down; trim ends, then cut slices about one-inch thick.

Put all the pieces in a pile on the a large baking sheet, non-stick or lined with parchment. Drizzle the 2 tablespoons olive oil over and sprinkle with the salt. Toss to coat the squash, then spread the slices out to lie flat, not touching.

Bake about 20 minutes, then flip the pieces over. Bake another 15 minutes or so, until the squash is just tender all the way through and nicely caramelized on the edges.

Arrange squash slices on a large serving platter. Scatter the almond slivers or walnut over and then streaks or swirls of warm balsamic reduction. I like to crumble bits of goat cheese or feta over all (1 - 2 tablespoons) just before serving.

BALSAMIC REDUCTION:
Pour 1 cup good quality balsamic vinegar into a stainless steel or enameled pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until it is reduced to about 1/2 cup.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Jo M; 12-21-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:50 PM

I hate pealing squash so ths s what I do.

Cut in half length wise , clean out the seeds dot with butter sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and roast cut side up till done.

For the savory version drizzle olive oil and sprinkle with salt pepper and rosemary.

Just slice to serve.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:28 PM

Nancy Fuller on www.Foodnetworktv.com made a Butternut squash soup that I want to try. She's the new one from up state New York, living on a 'farm', and has catered for 26 years. I love her style of cooking and her show. Soup looked soooo good. You can check it out on the internet site.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:32 AM

My mom peels and slices it in 3/4 inch slices, sprinkles with salt and pepper and bakes it on sheets. When they are soft, drizzle maple syrup or honey on them and bake a little longer, until the syrup caramelizes a little. So yummy!
Old 12-22-2013, 07:36 PM

I love roasted butternut squash. I cube it about 1" square and bake. After it's done you can put into rice or other combinations. I like the soup idea too. I've made soup and it is good, low in calories )
Old 12-23-2013, 05:19 AM

Default Butternut Squash recipes

Harvest Pork Stew (serves 6) Wonderful and easy stew. I cook it a bit longer so the potatoes start to fall apart and thicken the stew. I used carrots and potatoes...whatever I have on hand. Great with a crusty bread.

2 tablespoons butter or oil
1 1/2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
1 bay leaf
3 cups frozen, cubed butternut squash
2 MacIntosh apples, cored and cubed (I use only 1 apple)
2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed (optional)
2 cups carrots, peeled and diced (optional)

Directions
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook until lightly browned on all sides. Stir in the garlic and onion, and continue to cook until the onion has softened, and the pork is firm, and no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
Place the pork and onions into a large saucepan. Pour in the chicken broth, and season with salt, rosemary, sage, and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Stir in the butternut squash, apples, potatoes, and carrots. Return to a simmer, then cook, uncovered until the squash and apples are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and serve.