Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Cooking antelope >

Cooking antelope

Cooking antelope

Old 12-09-2020, 04:51 AM

Default Cooking antelope

We were gifted a package of antelope. I assume it will be dry if not fixed right. Brown it and simmer it in gravy & cream ?
Old 12-09-2020, 07:21 AM

I would search for recipes or instructions on cooking venison. I think it would be similar. Neither would have lots of fat content in the meat so dry roasting would not be an option in my opinion.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

We eat a lot of venison. The crock pot is what I use for venison big piece of roast. The tenderloin is the tenderest so it goes on the grill or smoker. Venison steak is tenderized at the processor so I usually batter and fry or simmer in gravy. .
Old 12-09-2020, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

I cook venison steaks in my casserole dish in the oven. I make my own barbecue sauce with can of tomato soup, 1/2 to 3/4 water(depending on how much moisture you need to submerge meat), 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1tbs. mustard and whatever spices I have on hand. I mix it all up in the casserole dish and submerge my frozen steaks and bake until tender.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:16 AM

You could grind it and make antelope stroganoff with sour cream, a touch of garlic, onions, mushrooms, etc. I have never cooked antelope but have cooked dry meats like emu and bison/buffalo. I have had good results grinding those meats and using them in creamy sauces, marinara, and chili. I like emu burgers and bison burgers, too. One could add fat when grinding, but I keep the meat lean.

Below is a link to a site with a meat nutrition comparison chart which includes fat content. Antelope is on the list.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/exptexas/prog...ame/nutrition/

-Sewsation
Old 12-09-2020, 10:35 AM

I used to have a fat needle that inserted strips of fat into the game meat, can not remember what the darn thing was called.
It made the meat not so dry, I also cooked it slowly with liquid, covered, and in the oven. Yummy
Old 12-09-2020, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pat M. View Post
I used to have a fat needle that inserted strips of fat into the game meat, can not remember what the darn thing was called.
It made the meat not so dry, I also cooked it slowly with liquid, covered, and in the oven. Yummy
I think it is called baster injector. I use it to inject marinade or melted butter.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:36 PM

Was it a larding needle? Used to slide thin slivers of salt pork into the meat? For sale at Amazon.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:52 PM

venison stew. yum.
here is my fave recipe(choose your own favorite veggies):
https://nevadafoodies.com/antelope-s...ot-vegetables/
Old 12-12-2020, 04:33 AM

To neutralize the game flavor, soak overnight in milk. Works for white-tail deer.