Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Cooking is a chore anymore >

Cooking is a chore anymore

Cooking is a chore anymore

Old 08-12-2021, 04:02 AM

No one has mentioned the Crock Pot. We make "dog food broth" by boiling chicken thighs, deboning to make a chicken casserole and saving broth to flavor dog's kibble. Or, cook chicken with cream of mushroom soup (or cream of asparagus, there are lots to choose from). I cooked a roast in cream of shrimp!
Old 08-12-2021, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

I love to bake but nowadays we don't want to load up on that stuff. Our kids are grown and gone.
My husband loves to cook. When he isn't cooking he's thinking about the next meal. He reminds
me of my Mom LOL

His kitchen is, for him, like my sewing room is for me. We are never bored!
Old 08-12-2021, 05:25 AM

well....I didn't do it again....err...well, actually, I ended cooking two suppers last night. I decided on roast and squash. easy! Well, I preheated the oven, the roast and onions were already in the roaster in the frig, then I got two people stopping by, I set my timer so I could add the squash half way... timer went off, open the oven door to put in the squash...WHERE is the roast. OH MY I left it in the frig! So I put in the squash and the roast, then decide supper would be too late, so I quickly made spagettii. Why haven't I learned to use my insta pot??? anyway, I now have an unsliced cooked roast and squash in my frig and a huge pot of spagettii..The best thing is I don't think I will have to cook for quite a bit now.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
well....I didn't do it again....err...well, actually, I ended cooking two suppers last night. I decided on roast and squash. easy! Well, I preheated the oven, the roast and onions were already in the roaster in the frig, then I got two people stopping by, I set my timer so I could add the squash half way... timer went off, open the oven door to put in the squash...WHERE is the roast. OH MY I left it in the frig! So I put in the squash and the roast, then decide supper would be too late, so I quickly made spagettii. Why haven't I learned to use my insta pot??? anyway, I now have an unsliced cooked roast and squash in my frig and a huge pot of spagettii..The best thing is I don't think I will have to cook for quite a bit now.
You're not absent minded...you're just very efficient! Now you don't have to cook for a couple of days.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
set a timer to remind you to at least play with the Instant Pot. There are a gazillion videos out there.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:20 AM

I like to cook but don't always follow recipes. My friend follows recipes to the letter. I just look at what is in the fridge and cupboards - today it is some previously cooked rice, pouch of salmon, some greens, feta cheese, in a cold salad. It's very hot and it's a "grazing" kind of day.
I do follow recipes for baking, which I also like. The neighbor family with two kids gets my excess.
Old 08-13-2021, 05:12 PM

My problem is, I'm sick of cooking and cleaning up every day, I still want an actual meal. I'll do cereal or yogurt and fruit sometimes when DH isn't home, but not all the time. DH has not retired, so I can't really say he should cook dinners when I am home full time. It's hard to come up with something every day, especially when it's hot and humid.
Old 08-15-2021, 03:09 AM

I have way more cookbooks than I need or use. I have way more clipped, copied, downloaded recipes that I've never used and are in a box. And most evenings it's "what do you want for dinner?, I don't know, what do you want?" Not very creative
Old 08-15-2021, 03:56 AM

Like many, Grandson & wife both work & raise little children. There’s no running to the grocery store because it’s not close & it takes precious time. They have a menu board & they know exactly what’s ahead for meals. She shops 1x a week after work & he’s in charge of picking up the kids that night.