Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Does anyone have a Butternut Squash Soup recipe that's nice and creamy? >

Does anyone have a Butternut Squash Soup recipe that's nice and creamy?

Does anyone have a Butternut Squash Soup recipe that's nice and creamy?

Old 02-16-2015, 10:56 AM

Default Does anyone have a Butternut Squash Soup recipe that's nice and creamy?

And hopefully easy?!

The cafeteria at my workplace serves the most awesome Butternut Squash Soup (my absolute favorite). There used to be a boxed soup available (it was V8 brand) that tasted almost the same, but that is discontinued now. I've tried just about every variety of canned/boxed butternut soup and they are all way too watery. I prefer it more creamy and spicy.

I'm even willing to cook it from scratch and that's how you can tell I'm serious...LOL...
Old 02-16-2015, 11:07 AM

I love this recipe. It's from a book and I didn't copy the title so I can't give it proper credit. I don't follow it exactly so I've put what I actually do in parenthesis.

I don't think this will taste like the stuff from a cafeteria or box, but it's super good.

Curried butternut squash soup
1/4 c olive oil
1 c diced shallots (I use onions)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 c minced ginger (I use some ginger, I don't think that much)
4 bay leaves
1/2 t crushed red pepper
2 1/2 lbs butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
1 t sale
1 t curry powder
2 c chicken stock
1 inch chunk palm sugar (I use a spoon of brown sugar)
1 15oz can coconut milk

Heat oil, add shallots, garlic and ginger. After 4-5 minutes add bay leaves and crushed red pepper. Simmer 1-2 mins. Add squash,, salt and curry powder. Cook 10 minutes. Add stock, bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes stirring and mashing squash every 5 minutes. Add palm sugar and coconut milk.

Also - I've used butternut squash in the following recipe even though it calls for sweet potatoes.

Sweet potato soup
4 c chicken broth
1 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 med sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped.

Cook until done, blend. Add a splash of maple syrup, 1/4 t nutmeg, milk, salt and pepper.

I hope you like these recipes.
Remove bay leaves, blend to creamy texture.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

I have not made Squash soup but a nice addition to my cream of potaoe soup is 1/2 a squished up avocado. It adds the creaminess without changing the flavor of the soup. Try roasting the squash in the oven to intensify the flavor before trying a squash soup recipe.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:18 PM

oh that sounds yummy Tartan. I love avocadoes and cant get enough of them. You are also adding great nutrients to your potato soup with adding a avocado. I definitely will try this one. I never made squash soup but I think your right by roasting it in the oven first, then I would run it thru a food mill or processor before adding any other ingrediants.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

Do you know anyone in the cafeteria to ask ?? I think maybe you could try it.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:50 AM

This is my favorite squash soup recipe; quick and easy with just the right amount of heat.

1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
3 c. chicken broth
1 tsp. thyme
1 small onion, chopped
1 dried habanero pepper
1 c. heavy cream
Place all ingredients except the cream into a large pot. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer till squash is very tender. Remove the habanero pepper and puree in batches in a blender till smooth. Return to the pot and stir in the cream. Heat till hot, but do not boil.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:15 AM

Forgiven, I'll bet your recipe is pretty close... I knew there were pieces of "something" in the soup that I wasn't sure of...maybe it is some type of pepper, because there is certainly a kick to the soup. I thought it might be a spice that I couldn't figure out!
Old 02-17-2015, 07:25 AM

Never ate Squash Soup till I moved up to Iowa. Then fell in love with it. Growing it was easy too so I was in 7th heaven. Checked online for some recipes and came up with this one.

chicken broth - 6 cups
butternut squash cut up into cubes
carrots - handful
onions - handful
celery - handful
2 small regular potatoes, peeled & cubed
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp ginger
salt & pepper to taste

cook till tender, blend using your blender or an immersion hand held blender till smooth or to your liking. I like just a little chunky.

Add 1/2 cube of cream cheese and 1/2 package of 8 oz shredded cheese or the whole package if desired. I also chop up a ring of Johnsonville sausage and add it to the pot.

This makes a huge pot, enough to split in half and freeze for later in the season. Its just me so after about a week of this I get tired of it so split it for the freezer.

It comes out nice and thick.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
And hopefully easy?!

The cafeteria at my workplace serves the most awesome Butternut Squash Soup (my absolute favorite). There used to be a boxed soup available (it was V8 brand) that tasted almost the same, but that is discontinued now. I've tried just about every variety of canned/boxed butternut soup and they are all way too watery. I prefer it more creamy and spicy.

I'm even willing to cook it from scratch and that's how you can tell I'm serious...LOL...
It's hard to get a duplicate flavor from a canned/boxed soup. I do enjoy some of the canned soups (probably because the salt has magnified the flavor).
Old 02-17-2015, 10:57 AM

The one I love best adds cream cheese. I think it's my new favorite food.