Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Foods, Recipes That Lower Cholesterol >

Foods, Recipes That Lower Cholesterol

Foods, Recipes That Lower Cholesterol

Old 12-27-2020, 09:42 AM

Default Foods, Recipes That Lower Cholesterol

New year, new start. I'm researching foods and recipes that might lower cholesterol. More fiber is a positive start, like oatmeal, veggies, tofu scrambles etc. Anything that lowers cholesterol and helps to regulate blood sugar is a plus in my new year's diet. Any good recipes in that department would be welcomed.

Of the more unusual items that I came across is Glucomannan, which is a Chinese herbal supplement made from the bark of a tree. It can be taken as a pill, but is also used to make konjac flour, which, in turn, is used to make Shirataki noodles. (You've probably seen them in the produce department, but never tried them...me too.) Anyone familiar with Glucomannan?
Old 12-28-2020, 03:27 AM

I belonged to Weight Watchers for a few months last year and it helped me start losing weight. I ended up losing 30 lbs. in 2020, but I think I've gained a little back in the last week or so. I found WW had some very good recipes - many Mexican because they included more beans and less meat. I also signed up for recipes from Eating Well magazine and those are also very plant-based. I now try to eat more vegetarian meals and find that helps me a lot.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:33 AM

My kick-start was to stop eating foods that are obviously packed with sugar. I am not on a sugar free diet, but I am reducing the intake. The result is a slow, very slow, loss of weight and it stays off. This past week I popped up a few pounds but went right back when I returned to watching the sugar after the Christmas treat season ended. Recipes to reduce cholesterol? No, but I will be watching to find hints from our members.
Old 12-30-2020, 01:43 PM

I like using some kind of legume in our meals. It could be beans, tofu, fresh peas, etc. They are high in protein and fiber and low in calories and fat. My DH and I have been having beans on toast with some fresh fruit in the mornings instead of eggs.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:09 PM

I have tried Shirataki noodles.and ohhh boy. They stink when you open the package. Takes 4-5 minutes of rinsing to almost remove the smell. The texture can be slimy and they have no taste. Better believe they will help you lose weight. Yuck.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:50 PM

I was gifted this book last year and have made a few recipes...they were delicious, quick and easy. I need to pull this back out and try so more dishes... thanks for the reminder.. Not a lot of pictures in this book and some ingredients are not in a typical kitchen but my store had everything I needed...so far.

https://www.amazon.com/30-minute-Low...-3&tag=mh0b-20
Old 12-30-2020, 08:50 PM
Power Poster

I wish I could lower my cholesterol with diet. I do everything I can but if you can take it, medication works better.💊
Old 12-31-2020, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by janiebakes View Post
I have tried Shirataki noodles.and ohhh boy. They stink when you open the package. Takes 4-5 minutes of rinsing to almost remove the smell. The texture can be slimy and they have no taste. Better believe they will help you lose weight. Yuck.
I couldn't last the 5 minutes to rinse.....into the trash, carried out to the dumpster. They are one of those "Never will I try that again food".
Old 12-31-2020, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I wish I could lower my cholesterol with diet. I do everything I can but if you can take it, medication works better.💊
In the same boat, Tartan. My doc has backed off on pushing me to lowering my cholesterol because what is high is the good stuff and with medication, I have leveled out at an acceptable level and stayed there for a number of years. Eating less red meat, including more legumes as mentioned have become normal ways of eating that I don't even think about. Then of course as mentioned previously, cutting back on obvious sugar.
Old 12-31-2020, 03:58 AM

Yes, now that the holidays are over, it’s always a good time of the year to practice mindful eating and tryout new recipes. I got a dehydrator for Christmas so I have been playing with all kinds of fruits and even did a batch of homemade jerky using lean flank steak and low sodium soy sauce. Yesterday I made a duck and mushroom soup from a carcass I had from Christmas. I simmered the carcass and removed any meat then chilled the stock to separate all the fat...sautéed leak, carrots and mushrooms added the meat and stock back in and then poured it over a warm scoop of wild rice. It was quite yummy 😋