Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Good foods for hot weather? >

Good foods for hot weather?

Good foods for hot weather?

Old 06-12-2015, 10:42 AM

I found a recipe for shredded spicy chicken that is versatile and delicious.

2 or 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup salsa or picante sauce
1 package taco seasoning

Put everything in a crock pot on high for about 4 - 6 hours until chicken is tender and can be shredded with a fork. Length of time depends on whether chicken is frozen or thawed and the number of breasts. Adjust amount of taco seasoning to your taste. We like it spicy.

Use in salads, tacos and burritos. I have used leftovers in my white chicken chili recipe. DH loves it.

We buy seasonal fruits and vegetables from the local farmers market. We grill a lot. We make smoothies several times a week for breakfast. AND, of course, Braums frozen yogurt is on the dessert menu during our hot Texas summers. And drink lots of iced tea and the occasional Coors Light!
Old 06-12-2015, 06:18 PM

Wow -- great ideas!! Thanks!! Not used to having too many hot really hot days in a row and with no AC I hate to do too much cooking. Guess I'll do the cooking in the morning -- although the crock pot doesn't generate too much heat.

Thanks again for the ideas!!
Old 06-12-2015, 06:55 PM

when summer days are hot, my DH fires up the grill, and away we go! hot dogs, burgers, beer can chicken (yummy!), Katie's Taties. sides are fruit and salads. Later, a trip to the ice cream shop!
Old 06-13-2015, 04:39 PM

Taco Salads are great and very easy, BLT's. I make potato salad and jello molds, lunch meat sandwiches, taco dip that is a meal in itself, fruits, ice tea, and I use the crock pot a lot. Lots of good ideas here, I hope everyone has a safe, healthy and very nice summer, winter will be here before we know it (YUCK)
Old 06-16-2015, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

It is `103 here today and it will be cold fruit salad and a sandwich..too hot to eat...
Old 06-16-2015, 10:05 AM

Even when it's too hot to eat my DH prefers his potatoes and meat (hot). For some reason a cold meal doesn't seem like "food" to him. I can serve him cold meat, jello and tinned brown beans with ice cream and fruit for dessert but that's only once in a blue moon. Otherwise ...
But for me - salads all the way!
Old 06-17-2015, 10:58 PM

I have a favorite chicken salad that I love. I just posted the recipe for it in my own post. We also, enjoy egg salad, tuna fish and we eat a lot of fresh raw veggies.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:43 PM
Power Poster

I just bought a radiant/convection counter-top oven from hsn. I doesn't heat the house up and cooks in about half the time. It is fairly new, but, so far, I love it! Moist meat cooked through and half the time. It even has a cleaning setting, so very little clean up.

All that being said, hubby cooked 2 whole chickens, a beef roast and a pork roast on the BBQ last weekend for me. I loved only having to make the side dishes this week. (Well, half of the beef roast I made stew with.) It was all so easy and quick! Once there is cooked meat, there are tons of things you can make with it! Right?
Old 06-18-2015, 05:16 PM

For us - it is either cooked out on the bar-b-que or in the pressure cooker. I will cook us 4 lbs of chicken and then use it for everything from chicken stew, chicken salad and just chicken to munch on. I am wanting to do a pot roast but my DH is trying to avoid red meat and a roast is just too much left over for me alone to eat.

Unfortunately I am not fond of fruit salads - I like fruit, but I do not like the flavors blended. So I will cut up fruit and let people put them together as they like them. Now pasta salad is another story - love it with a mayo or Italian dressing. I was just given some zucchini and plan to put some of it into a pasta salad. My favorite way to eat zucchini is breaded and fried - luckily my husband does not.

The best food ever for the summer months - corn on the cob and watermelon. (I like my watermelon at room temperature, otherwise it hurts my teeth if it is too cold.) Add a BBQ hamburger and I am in heaven!!! Maybe some baked beans and potato salad too. I have to quit thinking about this - I am getting very hungry.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:38 PM

My favorite meal from my childhood with hot summers and no air conditioning: shrimp salad, corn on the cob and buttered toast or garlic toast. The shrimp salad was always made with ring macaroni.