Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Instant Pot day by day adventure (and Paprika app) >

Instant Pot day by day adventure (and Paprika app)

Instant Pot day by day adventure (and Paprika app)

Old 07-10-2017, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

Smile Instant Pot day by day adventure (and Paprika app)

Just got my two 7-in-1 6-quart Instant Pots from Amazon today (thanks again, moonrise, for the timely sale tip!).

Thought I'd post my learning experiences here, since a couple of people posted in my old thread that they found the learning curve steep. I have a stovetop 8-quart Fagor pressure cooker that I have used in the past, and which works well for a huge cabbage soup recipe I make and freeze for my daughter, but I was looking for something more convenient that I could use to make and freeze meals for 2 and 4 people. That's why I got the Instant Pots.

Today all I did was give both the water test (page 17 of the manual). I noticed online and on Youtube that people said to just add 3 cups of water, whereas the manual said to fill up to the 3 mark on the inner pot (which means 3 liters, considerably more than 3 cups!). The purpose of the test is primarily to assure that the pot develops pressure. Both my pots passed the test, but I was surprised at how long it takes the pot to get up to pressure when there are 3 liters of water involved (about 25 minutes), and how long it takes for pressure to be released naturally (about 20 minutes for the pin to go down, but there is still a lot of pressure in there even after the pin goes down). I used my iPhone's stopwatch to time them, thanks to a Youtube video that suggested it. This really has helped give me a more realistic idea of the time involved in cooking soups, and also in reheating frozen meals.

Next step tonight is to register my pots on the website for the warranty.

Tomorrow I plan to cook a modified Black Bean Soup recipe. This is a prize-winning recipe I got off the internet, but I am modifying it by cutting it in half and using dried beans instead of canned.

I just recently discovered the Paprika app for recipes (ran across it during my online research of the IP) and so far I am loving it. I have it on my Windows desktop, iPad and iPhone. It allowed me to find and download the Black Bean recipe I want to try, and sync the recipe across all 3 devices. The original recipe feeds 8 but, since I want to use dried beans instead of canned, the amount would exceed what is recommended for my IP. With Paprika, I was able to instantly scale down the recipe to feed 4, which keeps the liquid amount low enough for me to pressure cook the beans dried. (At least, that's my theory. I had to use the computer to do some calculations that helped me determine I'd better cut the recipe in half if I wanted to substitute dried beans in the pressure cooker.)

I am wondering if anyone else uses Paprika and, of course I would appreciate tips and favorite recipes for the Instant Pot.

Honestly, I haven't been this excited about cooking in years!

Last edited by Prism99; 07-10-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

I don't use paprika but my brother does. I don't know if you use Facebook but there is an Instant Pot Group that shares recipes and tips. Some websites with tried and true recipes are thisoldgal and hippressure cooking. I've had my first pot since December and the second one shortly thereafter. The consensus among users is the water test is just 3 cups otherwise takes too long. Since you already understand pressure cooking you are several steps ahead. Important considerations are that you need thin liquid to come to pressure. Tomato products tend to scorch and shut the pot off. Anything burnt on the bottom will shut it off. Cream soups alone as liquid not good. Pot in pot recipes work better if you wish to use them. I've made beans multiple times. Since everyone's meal likes and dislikes are different I suggest googling "instant pot recipe (and what you want to cook)". Like "instant pot recipes pot roast". Then you can look for ingredients you like and if it comes from a website that seems like it has been tested and look for common cook times. Some recipes have unrealistic cook times in either direction. Pinterest recipes have a reported generally lower rate of success on the site. You may have different results. I love my pots. I use one or both most days. Good luck and report back!!
Old 07-12-2017, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

Those tips are very helpful, Stitch. Thanks!

Based in part on your tips, I decided not to try to modify a recipe right off the bat. This was undoubtedly a wise decision on my part. I made the "contest winning" black bean soup with canned beans, as per the recipe. It turned out good, but I realized that black bean soup tastes pretty much like black bean soup whether it is a prize winning recipe or not. Next time I'm going to use an Instant Pot recipe with dried black beans and just add the seasonings we like. I wore myself out yesterday afternoon chopping up stuff!

I made bone broth in the second pot. Haven't tasted it yet; went straight to the frig. It was easy to make, but I'm not sure from the aroma whether we will like it or not. Made it with beef bones from the market.

The Instant Pot is not exactly "instant", but I do like several things about it. (1) It is electric so I can set it and walk away. With my stovetop pressure cooker, I always stay close to make sure it doesn't overcook, somebody doesn't turn the gas flame up or down, etc. (2) It is many units in one. I like that I can saute in it, pressure cook in it, and use it as a slow cooker.

Won't have time to cook today. Have to think about what I might try tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

Yes, Prism, it isn't Instant! Many of us regular posters on the Facebook site want it to be called the Magic Pot! But, you are right about setting up a meal, cleaning up, and going back to doing something else and voila! dinner is ready!! Many users say the slow cook isn't like a crock pot. Only heats from the bottom and you have to be sure it is set on "more", not "normal". I haven't used that function yet. My kitchen is big enough to allow me the keep the crockpots and use them when I want. But since I got the Instant Pots I haven't. I use the recipes as a guide, as in, I don't like cilantro, so leave that out, want less salt/more pepper, etc. and then cook as indicated first time and make notes if it needs more or less time. Some things aren't that fussy, like corn on the cob. Rice has many different proportions and there is always the discussion on rinsing vs. not rinsing. Sort of like quilters prewashing and not. I am not a fabric prewasher and I don't rinse rice. Never have. And then there is the issue of chicken. Some recipes call for chicken and BBQ sauce. Works great if the chicken has a lot of "solution" injected. The once I tried that without any extra liquid it burned and turned off. Turns out the chicken I was using had 4%. Some is as high as 15%. Not that I am suggesting you try that recipe, just that there are variables to everything, including altitude.

I've never made bone broth but did make chicken soup which was great. Some folks freeze the bone broth and use it as the thin liquid for other recipes. It can go from frozen into the pot and just takes longer to come to pressure.

Keep us posted! (Well, me, anyway)
Old 10-03-2017, 05:30 PM

https://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/ was the first site I stumbled into when I got the Magic Chef (dang good clone of the IP.) I use the potato salad and mac & cheese recipes from there. And adjust the recipes to taste, of course.

The water / steam test in the Magic Chef manual says "3 cups of water" and I just automatically presumed that meant 3 actual cups as measured with a liquid measuring cup. I tested my IP Duo60 V2 the same way and didn't realize that there is so much confusion in the IP world about what 3 and what kind of cup do they mean. lol It would never have crossed my mind to use that little plastic thing that comes with both pressure cookers. I looked at it and tossed it back in the box. I guess it's for rice?

But I use the Southern Living lazy way to make white rice: No rinse. Measure rice in a measuring cup. Dump into pan on stove. Take same measuring cup (that's meant for dry measure, heehee) and measure out 2x to 2.5x as many measuring cups as rice. Dump water in with the rice. Sans lid, bring to a good full rolling boil. Set pot off the burner. Put the lid on. Leave it sit maybe 10 minutes undisturbed. Fluff with fork. Who needs a rice cooker? lol

I predict I will not be one of those people trying to pressure-cook every kind of food in the world in the Instant Pot. :-D
Old 10-04-2017, 04:46 AM

Madcow33. That's exactly how I have made rice forever! I bought an electric pressure cooker...on a whim....have used a stovetop for yrs...no problem, but thought this would be a great time saver...maybe it is, but after using it 2/3 times, it now sits on the shelf in the laundry room along with the "air-fryer"--- ans I don't watch infomercials anymore!
Old 10-09-2017, 03:27 AM

My experience with the IP doesn’t match most ppl who love it & use it a lot.
Think I have cooked so long,feels easier to do it my way.

Some things make no sense to me,such as boiling eggs or baking in the IP.
After giving my slow cooker away,it only took 2 tries in the “slow cook”mode to
send me out to buy a new slow cooker.

Baking in the IP was my big fail....
to the point where DH said
“not sure what this is,but hope you don’t make it again”.
This from a guy who eats what is on the table!

A lot of posters use IP for making cheese cake.We don’t care for it,nor for several standard IP recipes.
Too bad I didn’t know this before buying the extra pans etc. Live & learn,just my experience. Pat

PS.....It sits on a shelf in the laundry room.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:34 AM

Madcow333, interesting way to cook rice. What kind of rice do you buy? We eat rice a lot and there are so many varieties. I usually get basmati or jasmine rice. Would these work in your recipe?
Old 10-09-2017, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by plainpat View Post
My experience with the IP doesn’t match most ppl who love it & use it a lot.
Think I have cooked so long,feels easier to do it my way.

Some things make no sense to me,such as boiling eggs or baking in the IP.
After giving my slow cooker away,it only took 2 tries in the “slow cook”mode to
send me out to buy a new slow cooker.

Baking in the IP was my big fail....
to the point where DH said
“not sure what this is,but hope you don’t make it again”.
This from a guy who eats what is on the table!

A lot of posters use IP for making cheese cake.We don’t care for it,nor for several standard IP recipes.
Too bad I didn’t know this before buying the extra pans etc. Live & learn,just my experience. Pat

PS.....It sits on a shelf in the laundry room.
Well that's how it goes, plainpat. Nothing is for everybody. I'm so thrilled with my pots. I got the mini and that makes 3. Too bad we aren't closer because I would buy your pot from you. I don't think most of the IP users like the slow cook function. If you are on Facebook, look at the Instant Pot group - there are so many good recipes that are not cheesecake. And still, maybe not for you. I got my second one because after my friend got hers, made a fabulous meal by her own statement, decided she only liked grilled foods. Lucky me. I like the idea that I can get a meal ready and set the cook time and go to my quilting room and come back later and we have dinner. So the idea that it isn't "faster" than stove top is not an issue for me. It is easier to not watch anything. If you want to give it a go again, think of something you like, then google "Instant Pot recipe for (insert what you like) and see if any of them tempt you. Since you know you need liquid, you can vary the kind, and spices to your liking. Or, we can figure out a way for me to buy it from you!!!! (I hope the mods don't delete this as buying and selling - we live too far apart and I'm just making conversation)
Old 10-10-2017, 04:04 AM

Try risotto in your IP. Turns out well and no constant stirring..

Watson