Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ISO: Wet Burrito Recipe

ISO: Wet Burrito Recipe

When we first moved to upper Michigan, everyone told us we had to try the wet burritos and we loved them! Now, after moving south, I not only can't find a wet burrito anywhere around here, I can't find the recipe I had gotten out of the Electric company newsmagazine when we lived up there.
    I would love to get an authentic Michigan recipe. I've looked online and nothing seems right. The places that we liked best were from The Grand in Ludington and The Stockade in Wellston.
    If anyone has one of these, or a recipe from that area, please pass it on. I know there was Enchilada sauce in the sauce, but can't remember what else. It's the sauce that makes them soooooooooooooo good.
    Thanks,
    Carol B

Try googling "wet burritos". There are lots of recipes out there. I had never heard of them, but now I have something else to try. They sound really good. I used to vacation in the UP when I was a kid - back then the dish to have was "pasties" with a short "a". I don't think they even knew what a "burrito" was back then.

I make my burritos out of shreaded beef, cheese, refried beans, guacamole and sour cream. After they are rolled up, I pour a potato chip dip over the top. Safeway brand has a tomato based one with pineapple thats really good.
    Linda in Nevada

I found this recipe on the internet.

GRAND RAPIDS WET BURRITO
    1 1/2 lb. ground chunk
    1 sm. onion, chopped
    1 pkg. taco seasoning
    1 med. can refried beans
    Flour tortillas (1 pkg. 12)
    Chopped lettuce, chopped tomato, green pepper, olives, etc.
    Cheddar cheese (grated)

Brown meat and onion. Add taco seasoning and water (per package instructions). and refried beans. Simmer 20 minutes.Assemble ingredients: Grated cheese, tomato, lettuce and meat in tortillas, fold sides. Pour sauce and grated cheese. Can microwave 2 minutes or bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

SAUCE (MAY DOUBLE) :
    8 oz. can tomato sauce
    1/2 can water
    1 pkg. taco seasonings dry mix

Cheryl

mem
    I bet you could write to the electric company and request the recipe...or maybe they have it on their website.

If you find the recipe you like, could you please share it?

Good luck!

The secret to the whole thing is getting the sauce right. I know the recipe called for ENCHILADA sauce, but I can't remember what else was added to it. I thought that some of the meat was added to it, but a recipe I saw lately said to add some of the enchilada sauce to the meat mixture, so maybe my memory didn't serve me right.
    I have thought about calling the electric company, but on their website, there is only a wet burrito casserole, and they would probably direct me to the website.
    I'm hoping to find something similar soon. I was hoping that there was someone on the board that lived in that area and would have some area clones. And, yes, when I find it, I will share it.

When we lived in Southern California, Imperial Beach to be specific, there was a wonderful Mexican restaurant there called Lydia's. Their wet burritos were to die for. Their sauce had a little tomatoe in it, but it was clearish and not red like tomato or enchilada sauce. It did have a little reddish to it because it had tomato pieces in it, but you could see thru the sauce. Ahhh, drooling memories.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

kso
    If you deep fry your "wet" burrito and top it with enchilada sauce, sour cream and grated cheese, we call that a chimichanga in Arizona.
    "God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses" -- Robert Bontine Cunninghame-Graham, letter to Theodore Roosevelt, 1890

Quote Originally Posted by kso View Post
    If you deep fry your "wet" burrito and top it with enchilada sauce, sour cream and grated cheese, we call that a chimichanga in Arizona.
    In NY and Ohio too! And yummmmmy in anyplace you eat it!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

What is the name of the Electric company? i would like the wet burrito casserole recipe... or the web site for it..I just love mexcan anything...thanks

i have lived on the west coast or desert southwest almost my entire adult life and have never heard of a wet burrito!
    From the recipe that someone posted,looks like we call an enchilada,and like someone said deep fry it and you have a chimichanga
    But its a Dry Heat!

Quote Originally Posted by azdesertrat View Post
    i have lived on the west coast or desert southwest almost my entire adult life and have never heard of a wet burrito!
    From the recipe that someone posted,looks like we call an enchilada,and like someone said deep fry it and you have a chimichanga
    To me an enchilada is baked in the oven in the sauce and a burrito is done on top of the stove or on a grill. Burritos are most often eaten dry in hand but are very special when served "wet" with a special yummy sauce. Enchiladas are rolled with the ends open and burritos are folded with the ends enclosed. It's all delicious!
    Linda Wedge White

Blog Entries
    my sister makes a mean wet burrito, but it's too late to call her, (3 a.m. here). i don't remember the recipe but i know how to make it. the sauce is chili based, maybe with picante, i'm not sure it's been too long since i've made it. but after 25 yrs in texas i have a nearly constant craving for tex-mex. can't wait to see your recipe!
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

mem
    What's the name of the electric company? There are several people here from northern Michigan...I can check with them and see if, by chance, they might have the recipe.

This is the link to the magazine recipe site. The recipe that I used was from 1987-89. Thats when we lived there.

http://www.countrylines.com/recipes/

Someone might even have a recipe in a regional cookbook from there.
    Still looking.....................
    Carol B

Quote Originally Posted by In the woods View Post
    Try googling "wet burritos". There are lots of recipes out there. I had never heard of them, but now I have something else to try. They sound really good. I used to vacation in the UP when I was a kid - back then the dish to have was "pasties" with a short "a". I don't think they even knew what a "burrito" was back then.
    I'm originally from MI and I would LOVE a pastie right now! Yum! I may have to make some next week.

Blog Entries
    I live in New Mexico. Only here can I get or make mexican food.
    The clear sauce, sounds like a green chili sauce.
    There is a breakfast buttito. If it is deep fried it is a chimichanga.
    I will try to write these down and post them for you. The chili you get will not be the same though.
    Even in Texas, they have tex-mex,,,it is bad,bad,bad.

Blog Entries
    I don’t type! >>
    I tried to type it out here and it takes to long it will not post.>>
    I typed it in my outlook and tried to copy and paste it but it says I have to many images???>>
    No images!>>
    If someone smarter than me can post it, I will send it to you to post.>>
    Thanks I tried.>>

Here is a recipe from County Lines, the electric company site. It is not what I was looking for, but someone else might be interested in it. The ones I have had were individually made, not baked together as a casserole and the sauce on this one is not what I'm looking for, but I still haven't found the right sauce recipe. Still searching......woe is me....................

Pan Burritos
    Ingredients
    2-8 oz. cans enchilada sauce
    12 oz. tomato sauce
    1 t. garlic salt
    2 lb. hamburger, browned and drained
    1 lg. can refried beans
    9 flour tortillas
    4 c. mild cheddar cheese

Directions
    Toppings:
    Shredded lettuce
    Diced tomatoes
    sour cream

Combine enchilada sauce, tomato sauce and garlic salt. Combine 1/2 of this mixture with the hamburger. In a 9×13 inch baking dish, place a thin layer of the meat/sauce mixture. Layer ingredients as follows. 3 tortillas, 1/2 meat mixture, 1 cup cheddar cheese, 3 tortillas, refried beans, remaining meat mixture, 1 cup cheddar cheese, 3 tortillas, plain sauce and remaining cheese. Bake at 325° for 45 minutes. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before cutting into squares. Serve with fresh, shredded lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by ctack2 View Post
    This is the link to the magazine recipe site. The recipe that I used was from 1987-89. Thats when we lived there.

http://www.countrylines.com/recipes/

Someone might even have a recipe in a regional cookbook from there.
    Still looking.....................
    Carol B
    I have a recipe from someone in North Dakota. The sauce called for:

1 (15 ounce) can chili without beans
    1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
    1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce

Does that sound right?

BMP
    Blog Entries
    Gosh I am hungry now after reading this thread !!!

Quote Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
    I have a recipe from someone in North Dakota. The sauce called for:

1 (15 ounce) can chili without beans
    1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
    1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce

Does that sound right?
    Janie - that is one version that I have seen but haven't tried yet. There are also versions that have a jar of brown gravy in them. I think that next week, I'm going to buy the stuff for burritos and make 2 of 3 of the sauces at one time to compare them. I will use this as one of them. Thanks

Wet Burritos sound yummy. All the the recipes posted sound really and may try one of them while on vacation. They sound easy to make and can use a stove top if desired. Thanks all for sharing your recipes.

Blog Entries

Red enchilada sauce / casserole/ enchiladas

RED ENCHILADA SAUCE / CASSEROLE/ ENCHILADAS
    This makes about 2 quarts
    ¼ cup flour [I add more flour and water for more of an orange sauce or less chili]
    ¼ tesp onion powder
    ¼ tesp garlic salt
    1/8 tesp oregano
    ¼ cup Bueno chili powder-mild
    About ¼ cup oil
    2 qts water
    With heated oil in pan mix and add dry stuff to make a gravy
    Then add water For Red Enchiladas
    Fry corn tortillas till soft, not hard and not fall apart
    Lay flat fill with shredded mild cheddar cheese, diced onions
    Roll several on a plate cover with sauce and cheese heat in oven till hot,
    garnish with shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes
    or place all in one pan and heat, and place on warmed plate for serving.
    [You can add a meat filling, pulled chicken, drained and flavored ground beef]

For Red Enchilada Casserole
    Do not fry corn tortillas
    Tear tortillas into quarters
    Place a layer in dish
    Sprinkle with cheese and diced onions [meat opt.]
    Add layer of sauce
    Repeat as desired
    Cook in oven about 30 mins @ 300 to 350
    Add plenty of sauce as the tortillas will soak it up.
    Let set about 30 mins then cut and serve.

I'm FROM Texas.... and love TEX MEx...... but if u think Tex Mex is bad.... u should try Minnesota Mex... BLAND!!!! even the jalopena peppers in the stores have no flavor or heat!!! BLAH

Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis nm View Post
    I live in New Mexico. Only here can I get or make mexican food.
    The clear sauce, sounds like a green chili sauce.
    There is a breakfast buttito. If it is deep fried it is a chimichanga.
    I will try to write these down and post them for you. The chili you get will not be the same though.
    Even in Texas, they have tex-mex,,,it is bad,bad,bad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast