Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Making Your Own Pet Food >

Making Your Own Pet Food

Making Your Own Pet Food

Old 08-19-2021, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
When our cat Carmello was alive he became diabetic. We had to give him insulin twice a day. Well, Paul started him on a raw diet and for the last 7 years of his life he didn't need insulin. His blood sugars were consistently normal. He used to check it every day
That's so interesting, Susie. I started on raw feeding because I had a dog who was borderline diabetic. The raw diet brought her blood work back in line and she never had blood sugar problems again for the remaining 10+ years of her life. And, yes, so many fillers in regular pet food. I noticed right away that when I was feeding raw the yard clean up was much less. lol

Old 08-19-2021, 07:51 AM

I cook for our dogs all the time. We pick up beef, chicken , pork. They also like beef and chicken livers, turkey gizzards are a big hit. We also feed them salmon, tuna, cod and sardines. As for veggies broccoli, carrots, peas, apples as well as bananas. With veggies do not serve to many at any given time, might cause tummy problems.

A list of food that should NOT be given or given sparingly.
https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nu...right-side-bar

Spices that are good for them.
https://thecaninechefcookbook.com/safe-herbs-spices/

Poisonous plants and not poisonous plants
https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/anima...-plants?page=1
Old 08-19-2021, 08:09 AM

yep...I feed one of the dry kipples that just contains chicken, vegetables and a bit of brown rice. No corn....corn is definitely a filler and produces a lot of big messy dog waste. I don't have much problem cleaning up after my dog on what I have been feeding him. I did give him a similar kibble except it was salmon based. I think he may have developed an allergy to the salmon.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:49 AM

Wow...so many responses! Thanks everyone! I'm good with my dogs' diet, but it is the cats' diet that I feel I need to change. The DH and I talked about it last night and we've decided that we're going to introduce an all raw, meat diet to the cats over the next, few months. I'm going to start by adding a just little raw food s/a chopped chicken livers, or freshly, ground chicken to their regular canned food. At the same time, I'm going to slowly start to take away the kibbles and eventually, take away the wet, commercial food too. I already make the dogs their dinner, so I don't think it will take that much effort to make the cats' meals. Even with the cost of the supplements, I still feel that I'll at least break even and probably come out ahead. Plus, my cats won't be eating unhealthy food and getting sick all of the time.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:20 AM

Cats...which foods to feed and what not to feed. Hope this helps, Tropit

https://be.chewy.com/nutrition-food-...safe-for-cats/

https://cdn.petcarerx.com/LPPE/image...nfographic.jpg

http://kittymews.com/wp-content/uplo...tyLeash-01.png
Old 08-19-2021, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
Thanks Chasing Hawk. I'll check those out. There seems to be a lot of good info out there on this subject.
Old 08-21-2021, 12:35 AM

Tropit,
I am following this thread very closely as my cats are experiencing recent vomiting after they eat their dry food. They are not over weight & very active. They are young adults & are in excellent health except for the kibble troubles over the last 2-3 months. We were feeding them Purina adult hairball kibble along with a small amount of canned 9 lives wet food. We do make sure there is a variety of the wet food to be sure they get the taurine & other trace elements needed to stay well. I'm wondering what dry foods the rest of this group used for their cats to see if the is a common denominator???
We will be researching further & talking to the vet to get info there as well. Meanwhile we will probably try to slowly introduce some of the raw foods suggested. The babies need to be able to eat with out vomiting to stay healthy!! Please chime in with your experiences with kibble foods.
Thanks
sewverybusy1
Old 08-22-2021, 03:38 PM

Kibble foods...I don't like them, but my cats do. A vet once told me, "of course they like them. It's like eating candy every day to the cat." My cats have the kibbles there to nibble on in the evening, but I'm going to get rid of them as soon as the last bag is gone. My older cat does throw up frequently, but I think that it is not from the kibbles, but from the canned food. He's 15 years old, so I think that his system is more delicate. The other cat is only a couple of years old and he wolfs down anything that is put in front of him. I'm looking forward to making the changes. We'll see how it goes. I'm giving them ground chicken breast along with their other foods right now.

Last edited by tropit; 08-22-2021 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 11:41 AM

I've started feeding the cats fresh, raw foods. They really like chicken livers and are ok with chicken breasts. Both are,easy to grind up and both are more economical than buying caned food...about half the price. Right now, I'm not adding suppliments, because they're still getting commercial foods, as well
Old 08-25-2021, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

We had to give up using the feeder because Baby is so fat and eats constantly. Her brother is slim and only eats when he's hungry. They were rescued and Baby acts like every meal is her last.