Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
No Bake Orangesicle Pie VS Cool Whip Pie learning lesson... >

No Bake Orangesicle Pie VS Cool Whip Pie learning lesson...

No Bake Orangesicle Pie VS Cool Whip Pie learning lesson...

Old 08-27-2018, 02:16 PM
mac

Default No Bake Orangesicle Pie VS Cool Whip Pie learning lesson...

Have you ever tried a recipe and then realized that you could do the same recipe a whole lot easier in a different way? Don't get me wrong, this is an easy recipe and is quite tasty, but sometimes a simple recipe can be a whole lot better. The simpler way to make this recipe is at the end of this message.

Here is the long recipe:

No Bake Orangesicle Pie

Prep time: 1:10
Chill for at least 1 hour
Yield: 1 9-inch pie, serves 8

INGREDIENTS

· 1 ½ C heavy whipping cream
· 2 T Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
· 1 t vanilla extract
· ¼ C water
· 1 (3 oz) package orange Jell-O mix
· 2 (6 oz) containers orange flavored yogurt
· 1 9-inch graham cracker crust

DIRECTIONS

1. Pour heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract into a large bowl.
2. Whisk using a large balloon whisk for approximately 5 minutes, until cream reaches stiff peaks. Set aside. (I used an electric mixer)
3. Place water in a large microwave safe bowl. Heat for 1 minute, or until it's just beginning to boil. Immediately whisk in orange Jell-O mix, stirring until dissolved.
4. Stir in orange yogurt. Fold in whipped cream until well mixed. Pour into graham cracker pie crust.
5. Refrigerate for 1 hour, or until set. Top with additional whipped cream and orange sprinkles for serving, if desired.

(DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT, Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.)

Everyone really liked the pie and one person was surprised that it wasn't store bought. I don't know if that was a compliment or an insult, but I took it as a compliment, since he finished his piece of pie.

Here are the problems I ran into making this pie: I found it almost impossible to dissolve 3 oz. of Jell-O in 1/4 C of water. It just wouldn't completely dissolve and I still could see crystals in it even though I stirred and stirred. So I mixed that Jell-O in a tub of Cool Whip and refrigerated it. In the end, I found out you didn't really need to have all of the crystals dissolve, just get it as much as you can.

The other thing I wish I had done differently was to find the orange yogurt, just orange yogurt. The store was out and only had orange cream, and the recipe really needed more orange flavor and I think the orange cream didn't have enough flavor of orange.

Later when I got home, I tried the orange Jell-O/Cool Whip mixture, not only did it set up firmer than the pie recipe, it really tasted much better. Who knew that it was that easy to make a pie that tasted like a 50-50 ice cream bar? So in the future, when I want to make an Orangesicle Pie, I will just mix it with 1/3 C boiling water into a 3 oz. package Orange Jell-O, then fold that mixture into a big tub of Cool Whip and pour it into 9" graham cracker crust, let it sit for an hour or more and then serve. Done! No fuss, no muss, just DONE! Can't think of anything easier than that.

Last edited by mac; 08-27-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the recipe. My husband loves Dreamsicles. I am going to surprise him with this one day.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
Have you ever tried a recipe and then realized that you could do the same recipe a whole lot easier in a different way? Don't get me wrong, this is an easy recipe and is quite tasty, but sometimes a simple recipe can be a whole lot better. The simpler way to make this recipe is at the end of this message.

Here is the long recipe:

No Bake Orangesicle Pie

Prep time: 1:10
Chill for at least 1 hour
Yield: 1 9-inch pie, serves 8

INGREDIENTS

· 1 ½ C heavy whipping cream
· 2 T Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
· 1 t vanilla extract
· ¼ C water
· 1 (3 oz) package orange Jell-O mix
· 2 (6 oz) containers orange flavored yogurt
· 1 9-inch graham cracker crust

DIRECTIONS

1. Pour heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract into a large bowl.
2. Whisk using a large balloon whisk for approximately 5 minutes, until cream reaches stiff peaks. Set aside. (I used an electric mixer)
3. Place water in a large microwave safe bowl. Heat for 1 minute, or until it's just beginning to boil. Immediately whisk in orange Jell-O mix, stirring until dissolved.
4. Stir in orange yogurt. Fold in whipped cream until well mixed. Pour into graham cracker pie crust.
5. Refrigerate for 1 hour, or until set. Top with additional whipped cream and orange sprinkles for serving, if desired.

(DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT, Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.)

Everyone really liked the pie and one person was surprised that it wasn't store bought. I don't know if that was a compliment or an insult, but I took it as a compliment, since he finished his piece of pie.

Here are the problems I ran into making this pie: I found it almost impossible to dissolve 3 oz. of Jell-O in 1/4 C of water. It just wouldn't completely dissolve and I still could see crystals in it even though I stirred and stirred. So I mixed that Jell-O in a tub of Cool Whip and refrigerated it. In the end, I found out you didn't really need to have all of the crystals dissolve, just get it as much as you can.

The other thing I wish I had done differently was to find the orange yogurt, just orange yogurt. The store was out and only had orange cream, and the recipe really needed more orange flavor and I think the orange cream didn't have enough flavor of orange.

Later when I got home, I tried the orange Jell-O/Cool Whip mixture, not only did it set up firmer than the pie recipe, it really tasted much better. Who knew that it was that easy to make a pie that tasted like a 50-50 ice cream bar? So in the future, when I want to make an Orangesicle Pie, I will just mix it with 1/3 C boiling water into a 3 oz. package Orange Jell-O, then fold that mixture into a big tub of Cool Whip and pour it into 9" graham cracker crust, let it sit for an hour or more and then serve. Done! No fuss, no muss, just DONE! Can't think of anything easier than that.
So the recipe now is: 1/3 cup boiling water mixed with 3 oz. pkg Orange Jell-O folded into a large tub of Cool Whip and poured into 9" graham cracker crust. Let it sit for an hour.

You don't use any of the other ingredients...1 ½ C heavy whipping cream, 2 T Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar, 1 t vanilla extract, or 2 (6 oz) containers orange flavored yogurt?
Old 08-28-2018, 05:48 AM

the cool whip would take the place of the whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla, so the question is, what about the yogurt?
Old 08-28-2018, 06:00 AM
mac

Since I didn't think that the Jell-O was mixed right and I didn't want to throw it away, all I did was mix it into the tub of Cool Whip, nothing else. It was just a way of saving the Jell-O. The point I was making was that I accidentally realized that you didn't need anything else, just the Jell-O and the Cool Whip. It set up well, and was very tasty.

The recipe, although good, was a lot more trouble and had a lot more ingredients than it seemed necessary, after trying the Cool Whip version. At least that is my opinion. Either recipe is very tasty, but why do more work than you have to? I know that some people have an aversion to Cool Whip, so this way you have a choice.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:47 AM

This sounds like a winner recipe for these hot summer days & I love your modified recipe. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2018, 07:06 AM

Delicious, either way.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:27 PM

Oh, yum! And thank you! Sometimes we go get an orange cream milkshake or Italian soda...just love the flavor! Now I can make it whenever I want. Many thanks!
Old 08-28-2018, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

That sounds just wonderful, and I bet you could do it with cherry flavor too.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:51 PM

This recipe was posted earlier under "yogurt pie". I have made it many times and prefer using red jello and a corresponding flavor of yogurt. Strawberry cheesecake yogurt is good with wild strawberry jello but one can mix flavors if you wish. Simply pour the 1/4 c. hot water over the jello and then put in the microwave for a few minutes to make sure it dissolves. Heat a little and stir and repeat the procedure until the jello is dissolved. It is a real simple thing to accomplish. I tried the recipe using lemon jello and yogurt but we prefer the red flavors. It makes a real attractive pie and one can leave a few streaks of the Dream Whip to give it a different touch. I really think leaving the yogurt out would change the flavor of the pie. Just dissolve the jello, blend in the yogurt and then add the Dream Whip. In just a few minutes the pie is in the refrigerator just waiting to be eaten.