Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
No roll, no fail, pie crust! >

No roll, no fail, pie crust!

No roll, no fail, pie crust!

Old 10-16-2018, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

I have many shortcuts to making pie crusts. I use this crust more then any other for pre baked crusts.

Spreadable Pastry Crust

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup powdered sugar

Beat all ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on medium speed about 2 minutes or until creamy. Spread on bottom of ungreased pan. For blind baking crust: Bake 350 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely. Can double for larger pan.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:38 AM

I have an easy recipe for pie crust...I usually make about 80 to 100 individual turkey pies in the fall. So easy to pop the pies into the oven to bake and 50 minutes later eat.
1 lb lard
4-5 cups all purpose flour
put these into a bowl and cut up till crumbly
add 1 cup club soda
mix that gently into the dough mixture until it is smooth (no lumps)
then I roll it into a log...fully cover it in saran wrap and put it in the fridge to chill for an hour or two.
Then when needed slice the log like making cookies...roll out the dough to cover the little meat pie pans.
Then fill with what ever filling you have...I use turkey and veggies in a gravy or use beef and veggies.
Roll out another slice of dough for the pie topper...pinch around the edges...poke holes in top. Then after I have a few made I put them on a cookie sheet and into the freezer. Once they are frozen I transfer them into individual zip loc
baggies and put name and date on with permanent marker.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:00 AM

For those who can't make pie crusts, don't despair...I've been a certified Red Seal Chef for 25 years and I can't make one to save my life.
I really appreciate these easy to do pie crust recipes!

Watson.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

you know, i don't even know what vegetable oil looks like at the store. or lard or what ever was used before i went to olive oil. so some recipes mess me up like that. I like pat in pie crusts, I see Pioneer Woman do them a lot.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
For those who can't make pie crusts, don't despair...I've been a certified Red Seal Chef for 25 years and I can't make one to save my life.
I really appreciate these easy to do pie crust recipes!

Watson.
Come see me - I'll teach you. My kids learned when they were in the single digits....
Old 12-28-2018, 06:45 PM

Growing up as a 4H-er in a rural area, pie making was a basic skill, lol. I don't do it often now bc it's just DH and me - and I LOVE pie. Best not to have the temptation.

I use a combination of lard and shortening. Lard guarantees a flaky crust. Some people are squeamish about it. To me, fat is fat.

A friend makes crust using an egg. I've heard of oil, I've heard of adding vinegar, but never an egg. She swears by it.

Now you know I'm going to have to make a pie soon.