Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Okay ladies, talk me into keeping this Instant Pot!

Blog Entries
    My favorite instapot recipe is baby back ribs. Buy a rack, rub with only salt and pepper. Instapot for 28 min. with 1 cup of apple cider vinegar and 1 cup of coke-a-cola for liquid in the bottom. Throw on cookie sheet, brush on bbq sauce, cook for 10 min in 400 degree oven. Done. Better than any restaurant. Dinner guest give rave reviews. Something I never successfully made in 40 years of cooking. enjoy your new adventure.

We received a Instant Pot for Christmas last year but we were not impressed so gave it to Grandson. Maybe because we are old fashioned. Some of the modern gadgets are not for "seniors".

Blog Entries
    I am also pretty new to the Instant Pot. SO far I love it. My SIL says she loves this cookbook. "The Instant Pot Electric Pressure cooker Cookbook." By Laurel Randolph. I have only used one recipe from it so far and I really liked it. You can just divide everything in 1/2 on a 6 Qt instant pot recipe for your 3 Qt one. Just dive in and try some recipes.

I too was terrified of the old style pressure cooker. Always remembered my mother's horror story of 'trying' to make green split pea soup and having it end up all over the kitchen. Happy to say I made ham-split-pea soup in my instant pot and was very satisfied with it. No soaking of dry peas, quick cooking, and no mess all over the kitchen.
    Read the directions! Follow a recipe, at least at first to get an idea on cooking time and GO FOR IT GIRL.
    Just make sure to stay away from the release if you do a quick release. That steam escapes with a very hot stream.
    I use a long wooden spoon to move the release and stay a long way away from it. Happy Instant potting.

I have the Wolfgang Puck version of the Instant pot and have used it, mostly for soups. I still work full time and it helps getting meals to the table. I did buy 2 cook books and have been experimenting with them. If you try it and decide it's not for you, there is always some one out there that would love to have it. Good luck.

I strongly advise you to watch a youtube video on using an instant pot before using it the first time. I believe that will be very helpful.

This senior finally bit the bullet and purchased a 6qt instant pot....and I LOVE IT!!! I am sure in the summer when it is way to hot for the oven the roasts, chicken or whatever will taste great instead of heating the house up. I have yet to try yogurt but that is next on my trials. I will tell you, you don't need a knife to cut even the toughest cuts of meat! A new learning curve, yes, but as others have stated look on utube, pintrest has a lot of great recipes too...…..above all just enjoy it !!
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Hi again ladies! And thank you for being such an awesome bunch!

Wow madamekelly, that is quite a story. Sorry you had a fall but glad you were so prepared. bettyc, I did find a really super video on YouTube for the absolute beginner (Me!) and it was extremely helpful. She demonstrated everything very concisely, great close-up video of all that she did, and without doing a lot of yapping (too many of the demos on YT are just talking, talking, talking and bad camera work!).

I'm picking up a book tonight from Barnes & Noble called "The Instant Pot Bible". It was one of the few books I found that addresses all different sizes of the pot. Most recipes are written for the 6-quart but this book tells you which ones can easily be made in a 3-quart or doubled for an 8-quart, and it has a lot of good tips and tricks too (did the "look inside" on Amazon before I ordered it). I will also check out the other cookbooks mentioned here. I think I already have the Laurel Randolph book sitting in my Amazon cart but I will look at the keto one too.

Have to make time to head out to the supermarket too, and buy some ingredients (and NO CEREAL).

I received an instapot last year for Christmas and sold it on Craig's list. I have no intentions of learning a new way to cook-I am set in my ways and too old to learn something new!!!! Return it if you can and if you don't want it.

Blog Entries
    Donna - this is often the case when we find that we are no longer cooking for a crowd. A trick is to have a 'cooking and baking' day every couple of weeks. Do your shopping, come home and prep meals. You can make a lasagna or casserole and put it in several smaller containers and freeze it. Cut up veggies, blanch and put in baggies in freezer. Buy a bag of rolls and separate into baggies by 2s. Then, whenever you want a meal, you can pop the meal in the microwave and have a good homecooked meal. I make breakfast burritos and freeze them and they are great for on the run mornings. After you have done it a couple of times, you will actually look forward to the different things you can make ahead and freeze. Extra bonuses - better food, much cheaper, stuff you like and so much healthier!

I don't have an Instant Pot, but I do have an electric Cuisinart pressure cooker and love it. If you decide to keep it, just google these words: Instant Pot Recipes +3 quart. You will find all kinds of links for recipes. Hope this helps you make a decision. (BTW, I cook for one and freeze meals, also.)

Blog Entries
    I really love my instant pot. I like the fact that you can sauté in it, so you can brown things (like bacon or onions) before you use the pressure cycles. I found many videos on youtube that have been really helpful, especially the ones by six sisters. I am getting ready to use her method for making ribs today, she makes it look so easy. I would definitely keep it, its a fun addition to my kitchen

First thing....take it back and get a 6 qt...you'll find it more useful...and then just google instant pot recipes..you've heard of all the uses written in the post. Personally, I use mine at least 3 times a week...spaghetti squash-10 min., pork loin with balsamic vinegar, apple and honey sauce-3 min, risotto-snap of your fingers...you'll want the 6 qt to make soups and freeze half for later. Oatmeal-wonderful. Hard boiled eggs 5 min.
    The safety devices on these things are phenomenal and an electric pressure cooker cooks at a slightly lower temp with takes away some of the intensity...Trust me and all the others here who have given you advise...get the 6 qt and just begin...You tube has thousands of videos on this...just do it! you'll never look back.

Blog Entries
    I LOVE MINE... Keep it and start using it. If you are afraid of it just place your meats or whatever in it, turn it on to desired setting and slide that thing under your upper cabinets. This will fix the what ifs.... the lid comes off, the pot blows up all the fears some moms caused us to have. I fix steak and gravy, white bean and ham soup, chicken and dumplings, fresh green beans, stew and potatoes anything I want. So… atta girl open that box.

klswift, funny that you mentioned meal prepping because I just started doing that about a month ago. I found a chef on YouTube that is really great, and she had a 7-day healthy meal prep series with 7 breakfasts, lunches and dinners. I jumped right in and tried it and her recipes were terrific. Many things I had not ever done before, but all was quick and fairly simple and now I have a bunch of already-prepared meals in my freezer.... can't argue with the convenience of that! And that is one of the reasons I wanted the Instant Pot, so I could have things ready to eat and not be resorting to "grazing" on whatever is around the house.

Quote Originally Posted by conniejo46 View Post
    I too was terrified of the old style pressure cooker. Always remembered my mother's horror story of 'trying' to make green split pea soup and having it end up all over the kitchen. Happy to say I made ham-split-pea soup in my instant pot and was very satisfied with it. No soaking of dry peas, quick cooking, and no mess all over the kitchen.
    Read the directions! Follow a recipe, at least at first to get an idea on cooking time and GO FOR IT GIRL.
    Just make sure to stay away from the release if you do a quick release. That steam escapes with a very hot stream.
    I use a long wooden spoon to move the release and stay a long way away from it. Happy Instant potting.
    As for old style pressure cookers: Rubber sealing rings must never be used if warped or wavy. Get a replacement. The entire sealing ring needs to be pulled out and washed behind. Vents must be checked for food particles. Never fix anything that could be “foamy” since it could clog the vent.

I have 3 Instant Pots. There are two of us. I use the 3 quart for rice and yogurt. You can make less in the 6 quart but you can’t make more in the 3 quart.
    Alyce

I use my Instant Pot for everything. I have a 3 qt and a 6 qt and they are both very active. Start by trying some small things like boiled eggs. The Mississippi Pot Roast is quick and fantastic. You do not need books, Pinterest has loads of fantastic recipes. A cheese cake is to die for when made in the IP.

Yikes, cheesecake? I'm in trouble.

I thought I'd use mine more than I have. Got the 6 qt because I was cooking for the homeless once a month. The thing I like is that, unlike a crock pot that is sometimes too hot to carry to a function after cooking all day, the IP can cook everything fast in the morning, then you turn it off, let it cool till you are ready to transfer food to a smaller container for transporting. (It's too heavy for me to carry when full, and a bit cumbersome to store overhead, which is where it fits in my upper pantry.) If you don't have need to transport large quantities of food, you can still just cook things fast in the IP in the morning, let food cool, and divvy it up into freezer portions for yourself.

Whenever I actually used it, I loved it (boiled eggs came out great!). Roasts that you can sear in the IP and then pressure cook is fall-off-the-fork tender. Boneless chicken breasts stay moister in the IP rather than baking. (I'm making myself hungry and ready to get back to using my IP.) I tend to use my smaller pots because they're easier to lift, wash, and store, BUT they don't work for mega-cooking which you'd like to do . There are 3 of us here now so I do cook small meals most nights, but I think I've just about talked you and me both into ramping up our game so we don't have to cook as often, yet still have tasty homemade meals. I love to pull out chili and serve it over noodles or a baked potato on a cold night!

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
    klswift, funny that you mentioned meal prepping because I just started doing that about a month ago. I found a chef on YouTube that is really great, and she had a 7-day healthy meal prep series with 7 breakfasts, lunches and dinners. I jumped right in and tried it and her recipes were terrific. Many things I had not ever done before, but all was quick and fairly simple and now I have a bunch of already-prepared meals in my freezer.... can't argue with the convenience of that! And that is one of the reasons I wanted the Instant Pot, so I could have things ready to eat and not be resorting to "grazing" on whatever is around the house.
    Who is that chef?

I've used mine 3 times this week. I love it because it is forcing us to try new recipes. After 41 years, I feel I hit a dry spell. It's like learning to cook again. Even my husband is enjoying the new menus!!

When I posted earlier I forgot about this website.....they offer detailed instructions on using the Instant Pot and lots of recipes that I have found pretty much on target with time and method.
    I signed up and get an email once a week with new ideas....this week they are offering ideas on Christmas recipes.

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/...er+Dec+14+2018

Great thread. Maybe I'll get mine out of the basement, where it sits in the box that I came in when I bought it...

Some posts refer to it being different than a pressure cooker. I thought that Instant Pot was just a rebranding, if you will, to make people not think about the scare tactics from the old days?

Quote Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
    Great thread. Maybe I'll get mine out of the basement, where it sits in the box that I came in when I bought it...

Some posts refer to it being different than a pressure cooker. I thought that Instant Pot was just a rebranding, if you will, to make people not think about the scare tactics from the old days?
    It is a pressure cooker with other capabilities, but with many more safety features built in nowadays. My mom never had a pressure cooker because she was scared to death of getting burned. Those fears kept me from jumping right in to the IP craze, but after being convinced of the technology that has safeguards, I "bit." I do pull it away from my upper cabinets so that the steam doesn't bother the wood. And I use hot pads very carefully. I open the lid like a shield, with the steam on the opposite side of the "shield. " Yep, I may be paranoid but so far no burns from the IP.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast