Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Okay ladies, talk me into keeping this Instant Pot! >

Okay ladies, talk me into keeping this Instant Pot!

Okay ladies, talk me into keeping this Instant Pot!

Old 12-11-2018, 05:29 AM

I was curious about the cult following of Instant Pot users. My son was one of them. For a long time I talked myself out of buying one because who needs another cooking utensil? But it was on sale... my downfall.

I bought the 6 quart because most of the recipes I read are for that size. Also, I like to cook once and not have to cook again for a while. I think the flavor of foods cooked in it are better. I never liked the taste of slow cooker meals.

It was not intuitive to use at the beginning. I called my son for advice quite a few times for instructions. Once I learned how, it's not hard.

One of the things that I found interesting is that I cannot hear the tone very well that it makes when the cooking is complete. I found this out when I was on the phone with my son talking about it, and he said it was finished. I was puzzled because I couldn't hear anything. When I strained to hear, I heard a faint beeping. He could hear it loudly on the speakerphone from across the room. I have some high-frequency hearing loss, and that beep is it. This does not ruin the food. I just have to look at the screen to see if it is finished cooking yet.

I'm not a cult follower but it has introduced me to some new recipes. I was kinda bored with the "same old - same old" foods that I was making. I probably wouldn't buy it again, but I don't hate it. I use it quite a bit. I definitely wouldn't buy the 3-quart.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:40 AM

I had a stove top pressure cooker & used it a lot. My rules: remove the seal & clean well every time, if seal looks stretched or wavy, get a new seal, always hold lid to the light so you can see light through the vent hole before sealing it on, don’t leave it unattended, read the manual. If one blows up, these rules weren’t followed.

I have an Instant Pot and love it to death. The instruction manual is poorly written but I knew enough to begin using it. I asked DD & DIL if they wanted one so bought for them. They are novices but both learned so much from You Tube so I highly recommend watching that. They wouldn’t give them up for anything. Son in Law raves about the good stuff she makes, so flavorful. Mine is 6 qt but I want to cook extra & freeze if necessary. I have the extra glass lid so mine works as a slow cooker too for 4 hours then switches to warm. The new one has a different system so no vent hole. 6 in 1 means it does 6 things (brown, steam, slow cook, boil, etc).

Its like everything, you have to jump in and use it and not let it be a counter decoration !
Old 12-11-2018, 06:13 AM

You ladies are THE BEST! So many great responses, thank you!
Old 12-11-2018, 06:53 AM

I say Go for it! I dont have one or even want one but since it caught your attention, try it and see if you like it.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

I too would take it back. cost to much not to use a lot. I have a pressure cooker my friend talked me into. hate it!! got a slow cooker which i use a bit.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:29 AM

I don't have one, but DD wanted one for Christmas, so we bought her one and gave it to her early. She makes a lot of hot tamales for friends and has used it several times already, said it saved her at lot of time. From start to finish, which includes cooking the pork loin to steaming the tamales, she said it took only about 4 hours vs 8 hour normally. I may or may not get one, haven't decided. But it is your choice, like all other appliances and other inventions, using the recommended safety instructions are the best. Merry Christmas all.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
Well to be honest, I'm trying to get myself more "excited" about cooking. I always loved cooking and baking but now living alone, I seem to be eating a lot of bowls of cereal. I like to try new things and new recipes so I thought it might be a good choice for me.
I think something new to cook in is a good idea to make yourself cook more. My criteria is always cost and do I have a place to store it? If the cost didn't pinch, and you have a place for it, I say keep it. Try some of those recipes you're looking up. It may turn out to be just what you need to make cooking fun again.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:22 AM

I have an electric pressure cooker that I use rarely. It does tenderize meat much quicker. By the time it heats up and the time to let the steam escape, I find that most common things can be cooked just as quick in a regular pot or in the oven. Now, my friend has one, and she cooks in it all the time! Different strokes for different folks. "smile" Another note: I freeze a lot of single serving foods when I overcook. I use Sandwich baggies and put them inside a larger freezer bag. Makes meals much simpler when I need a quick meal. I am about to go thaw out some Chicken Enchilada Soup. Perfect day for it.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:33 PM

Default instant pot

I got a great deal on the Instant Pot in Kohl's last weekend and bought it completely on a whim. I got the 3 quart model because I'm only one person and I don't need to make recipes for 6 people LOL.

It's been sitting here in the box staring at me, and to be honest I'm a little afraid of the thing.

I've been on Pinterest madly pinning recipes for the 3 quart (most of the cookbooks that are out there are for the 6 quart model and I understand there is a learning curve to altering recipes).

Any comments? Suggestions? Do I hear an "atta girl open that thing?!"

(I think what I'm actually hearing in my head is my mom's voice from long ago. She was terrified of pressure cookers but then again, the old fashioned stove top ones from the 1940's that she remembered probably blew up a lot more than the new safer ones. At least, that's what I'm telling myself!)
Get on facebook and join the instant pot facebook group. There is a learning curve but these people will be so helpful. once you learn you will wonder how you lived without it. Also get a can of barkeepers friend to clean it with. makes cleaning so easy. Enjoy your new toy.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:01 PM

Well to be honest, I'm trying to get myself more "excited" about cooking. I always loved cooking and baking but now living alone, I seem to be eating a lot of bowls of cereal. I like to try new things and new recipes so I thought it might be a good choice for me.
I had the “cereal and sandwich problem” when I lived alone, a crockpot was my solution. I made large meals (my normal size since my house was the gathering spot most days when my DDs were at home). I then bought quart zipper bags and froze the leftovers laying flat. I was able one month to eat only out of the freezer after a bad fall, and was very glad I had done it. You can even reheat the food in the zipper bag by placing it in a large pan of water.