Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   3-hour Turkey (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/3-hour-turkey-t71581.html)

SoWhat96 10-24-2010 05:18 AM

Thank you for the information. I am trying this this thanksgiving.

Old man- New quilter 10-24-2010 07:48 AM

Your method has raised an eyebrow. I might try it with a few chickens later ( changing the cooking time of course ) Not to steal any of your thunder, I brine mine and roast it breast side DOWN. Don't give a rip about the momentary "beautiful brown breast skin". I want moist breast meat and this does it every time because the juices flow down when cooking and you can almost DRINK the meat.

b.zang 10-24-2010 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by wanderingcreek
I'd love to try this method but no grocery stores around here that I know of use paper bags anymore. They have all gone to plastic.

Same around here. Any time I can snag paper grocery bags I do!
Any ideas on how this might work with brown wrapping paper? I guess getting it sealed shut would be the issue.

lauriejo 10-24-2010 08:00 AM

Hmmm I knew there was a reason I asked for paper when I don't have my reusable bags. I will definitely try this soon.

sewTinker 10-31-2010 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Old man- New quilter
Your method has raised an eyebrow. I might try it with a few chickens later ( changing the cooking time of course ) Not to steal any of your thunder, I brine mine and roast it breast side DOWN. Don't give a rip about the momentary "beautiful brown breast skin". I want moist breast meat and this does it every time because the juices flow down when cooking and you can almost DRINK the meat.

oh my Goodness, old man-NQ. You can have All the thunder you want! lol... Your version sounds yummy. I like this method because of the three-hour thing. And because I never have to guess whether the bird is done or not. I'm a terrible guesser. :-)

lauriejo 10-31-2010 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Old man- New quilter

If you try this with a chicken, please let us know how long it takes. I am not a good guesser either. lol

craftybear 11-06-2010 01:32 PM

this sounds wonderful, thanks for sharing the recipe with us

c joyce 11-14-2010 02:33 PM

Okay - wanted to try this, but was too scared to do it when everyone is coming over. So I did it today for practice. WOW! Is this turkey ever delicious and an evenly browned bird (mine usually look like I cooked it in a crooked oven). Thanks for the recipe.

emsgranny 11-15-2010 07:20 AM

Thanks for recipe!! Mom used to do it this way and so did my brother - They are both gone now and I have been looking for the recipe!!! So glad I found it..turkey always great - looks like a Martha stewart turkey :lol:

Matilda 11-15-2010 01:38 PM

Sounds great! I saved this recipe!!