Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Absolutely non-spicy salsa? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/absolutely-non-spicy-salsa-t298123.html)

Geri B 07-08-2018 02:31 PM

Absolutely non-spicy salsa?

Oops! The title is crazy...should be non spicy salsa! Don't know how to correct title, sorry........anyway, here I go.....Anyone have the secret recipe. This may sound stupid but I like tortilla chips dipped in salsa, but my mouth will not tolerate any jalapeņo, too much onion and even too much cilantro. There used to be the best little Mexican restaurant in town where I could dip like crazy, enjoy the food...tasty, but not "hot", but landlord got greedy, upped the rent and away they went! I have tried every mild, sweet on the market, even so called homemade..one mouthful and dragon fire! I am going to try just tomato sauce w/ chpped up Roma tomatoes, tiny bit of onion and pitch of cilantro......does anyone else have this situation. Now funny, but I can handle wasabi on sushi....instant hot, but instant gone, just to flavor the sushi,does not linger in the mouth as Mexican hot does. Boohoo!

mandyrose 07-08-2018 02:50 PM

how about getting a can or jar of stewed tomatoes and doctor them up to your liking

bearisgray 07-08-2018 05:28 PM

Maybe start with:

chopped tomatoes
chopped green peppers
chopped mild onion
lemon juice (or lime juice)
salt
sugar - same amount as salt - it enhances the other flavors
black pepper

I've also added minced garlic, chopped zucchini, chopped carrots, and/or chopped cucumbers to this tomato based salsa.

I do like jalapenos and cilantro added to my salsa.

DH likes what he calls the "basic" salsa - tomatoes, green peppers, minced garlic, onions, and jalapenos - seasoned with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.

DS and I like the "enhanced" salsa better.

You might check out the pico de gallo recipes and see if one of them would work.

tropit 07-09-2018 09:59 AM

Have you looked for any recipes for Mango Salsa? So good and it's not necessarily hot tasting. I'm guessing that a good mix of ingredients for you would be tomatoes, mangoes, just a little onion or scallions, sweet red bell pepper, lime juice and a bit of garlic.

~ C

mac 07-09-2018 10:18 AM

I'm with you about spicy foods. Just a little kills me. You are right about the wasabi, it only burns for a second and it is gone; I can tolerate that just fine.

Unfortunately I am allergic to cilantro and have a hard time finding salsa without cilantro or corriander, which is cilantro in seed form. So between spicy or cilantro, I never find any salsa that I can eat.

doricu2 07-09-2018 01:53 PM

I just chop up the things I like and add a little cumin add a small 4 oz can of chopped mild green chilies. Never any heat at all and delicious

Darcyshannon 07-09-2018 07:00 PM

Salsa is Spanish for sauce, so you can make any sauce you want. Start with a base of tomatoes, tomatillos or whatever. There are lots of recipes and you can omit the ingredients you don't like. Easy to make fresh. Usually with the spices it tastes better the next day. I also like cumin in my salsa.

feline fanatic 07-10-2018 07:49 AM

Have you tried Bruschetta? Sounds to me by your description that Bruschetta would be more to your liking. You can usually find it premade in the produce section of the grocery store. Most commonly displayed where the Hummis and fresh Salsas and premade guacamole are. Sabra makes a nice one.

Onebyone 07-10-2018 09:36 AM

I make a version of sorts of salsa for my young grandsons. I use chopped up tomatoes mixed with a little pesto sauce. They love it and it's good for them. No hot spices at all.

Geri B 07-11-2018 05:53 AM

Yes....I've resorted to making my own, using my own concoction of ingredients..working well. ,I do make my own bruschetta- to my taste, as store bought is sometimes too oniony......going to buy a mango, let it ripen and try that next!