Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Any Good Banana Bread recipes ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/any-good-banana-bread-recipes-t257311.html)

annievee 11-24-2014 04:18 PM

Any Good Banana Bread recipes ?

Would like to find a very good banana bread recipe. I have several recipes but they seem to be just flat after cooking. Thanks !

tessagin 11-24-2014 04:42 PM

Mine were the same. First the bananas need to be ripe. The more brown spots the better. I would use the mixer and follow directions and then one day after all the ingredients were mixed with the exception of the bananas, my mixer quit. So I just broke up the bananas and half mashed them so they were just a little lumpy. Then I added the bananas til they were just mixed well. I also used a slight more baking powder than recipe called for. Had a nice rize and good flavor. I also added some chopped walnut pieces in. Others may have some good recipes. Funny you posted this recipe inquiry, I was thinking earlier how I was hungry for that and cranberry walnut with cream cheese spread. Yummm!! Thank You. I will look at check other comments!

Tartan 11-24-2014 05:07 PM

I find that frozen bananas have much more flavor. I wait until I have bananas that are heavily freckled brown. I peel them and put 3 in a zip lock freezer bag. I throw them up in the freezer until I want banana bread. I just thaw them in the bag and they are ready to include in the bread. The freezing seems to concentrate the flavor. I do a banana loaf rather than a sheet cake.

Mariposa 11-24-2014 05:52 PM

Here's a yummy one:

Banana Nut Bread

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. baking soda
4 egg whites
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 med.)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350*. Spray a 9" x 5" loaf pan with no-stick spray, and set aside.
In a lg. bowl, stir together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and baking soda. Make a well in center of the mixture.
In another lg. bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Stir in buttermilk, applesauce and vanilla. Stir in the bananas until well combined.
Add banana mixture to flour mixture, stir just until moistened. Fold in walnuts.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 55 minutes, or until toothpick in center comes out clean. Cool bread in the pan for 10 min. Then remove bread and cool on wire rack before slicing.

quiltbuddy 11-25-2014 05:17 AM

Please make sure your baking powder still is active. Fresh baking powder makes a big difference. Baking soda seems to last a long time but not baking soda. You can test by adding a 1/4 tsp. to a 1/2 cup hot tap water and see if it fizzes. Baking soda needs acid to tell so add a little vinegar (1/4 tsp) to the hot water.

Billi 11-25-2014 05:47 AM

This is the one my girlfriend always makes its really good and could not be easier just be sure to use really ripe bananas. I almost always have to cook it longer.

3 Ingredient Banana Bread

Ingredients:
1 (15.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
2 eggs
3-4 overripe bananas

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Smash bananas in a large bowl or in your mixer, then add remaining ingredients and mix well. Spray 2 small loaf pans or 1 large loaf pan with non stick cooking spray. Fill the pans (or pan) with batter. Bake at for 35-40 minutes – you might need to bake longer if using 1 loaf pan

silverfoxmag 11-25-2014 06:39 AM

I got this recipe from a dear friend and it's the best I've ever had, so moist and rises beautifully!
1 3/4 cups flour; 1 1/2 cups sugar; 1 teasp. baking soda: 1/2 teasp. salt; 2 eggs slightly beaten; 3 over ripe bananas mashed; 1/2 cup canola oil; 1/4 cup sour cream; 1 teasp. vanilla; 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional).
I must tell you that the first time I made this I mistakenly used 1/2 cup sour cream so I've continued to do that. also I tried it with the walnuts and find it much better without, MHO. NO BAKING POWDER! Enjoy!

silverfoxmag 11-25-2014 06:42 AM

OOPS, I forgot the oven temp and how long to bake.

Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes in a 9x5 greased only pan.

annievee 11-25-2014 09:54 AM

Thanks to all-learned a few good cooking tips too !

Annaquilts 11-25-2014 11:12 AM

We have used this recipe for almost 30 years-

Whole Wheat Banana Bread
From Sunset Bread Book

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup mashed ripe banana
1 cup flour, 1/2 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup hot water
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional

Melt butter and blend in sugar. Mix in beaten eggs and mashed banana, blending until smooth. In a bowl, stir together flour, salt, soda, and whole wheat flour. Add dry ingredients alternately with hot water. Stir in chipped nuts. Spoon batter into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan. Bake in a 325* oven for a bout 1 hour and 10 minutes, until bread begins to pull away from sides of pan and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes; turn out onto rack to cool completely.

It is from a sunset Cookbook.

A variation is to make the same batter but add a cup of chocolate chips.
Set the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare muffin trays and add paper muffin cups. Scoop cups 3/4 full with the batter. Bake in preheated oven at 400 degrees for 18 minutes