Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   AnY Ideas for Turnip Recipes for a Farberware Convection Turbo Oven? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/any-ideas-turnip-recipes-farberware-convection-turbo-oven-t276598.html)

sweets 03-11-2016 04:31 AM

AnY Ideas for Turnip Recipes for a Farberware Convection Turbo Oven?

I welcome any ideas on the subject...thanks

luv-e 03-25-2016 04:35 PM

Have u looked up Farberware for recipes??? Sorry,don't know of any........

ManiacQuilter2 03-26-2016 08:34 AM

I am a city girl and I don't think I have ever eaten a turnip before.

elnan 03-26-2016 09:10 AM

From a long line of Southerners, I can tell you that most of the time they are cut up in chunks and cooked in the pot with the greens and a bit of salt pork. Turnip greens are a prized southern dish, but in Pennsylvania, I was told "we throw those away and eat the turnips. I like to cut one or two up in small chunks and add to soups, especially a chicken taco soup.
One of my favorite recipes is the beef, or pork roast in Mark Sisson's Paleo cookbook. I use a cast iron pot, meat is rubbed with his seasoning mixture, covered with sliced onions, and covered to cook three hours in the oven, first hour covered, second hour uncovered, third hour covered. For the last hour, I cut carrots, potatoes, turnips, parsnips, etc. in chunks and dump that onto the top of the roast, then cover. You could also place the vegetables in a shallow pan or sheet, season, drizzle olive oil, toss and roast. Turnips are also good prepared like mashed potatoes.
Having lived in different areas of the US, I have learned that turnips grown in different soils don't taste the same as those I grew up eating.

quiltingcandy 03-26-2016 09:58 AM

My mother fixed turnips like you would fix potatoes. We ate them raw if they were fresh, sometimes she would cook them and mash them, she even fried them or baked them like scalloped potatoes. She didn't care for turnip greens so we never had them.
My husband did not care for turnips so my kids have never had them. I used to buy turnips and would eat them raw - like people eat jicama. It does need to be fresh otherwise it is tough and bitter. Also they have gotten rather expensive here so haven't bought any in years.

Onebyone 03-26-2016 01:36 PM

I don't know about the cooker you have but I would experiment. I grew up on fresh turnip greens and turnips. They were cut up and boiled and then mashed with butter, salt and pepper. Nothing like fresh pot liquor and fresh baked cornbread. Turnips and greens are loaded with vitamins. All fresh greens have to be cooked a long time to get rid of the yangy flavor. Canned greens taste fine if simmered on low for a long time. If I cook canned, I use one can of seasoned greens with one can of unseasoned greens, add some chopped raw turnips, add chicken broth, bring to boil and then let simmer for at least an hour. My kids and grands were served greens and turnips at a very young age. They all like them and make a big pot all the time. I think it's sad for kids not to be introduced to all the different foods available. How will they know what good food is suppose to tastes like. A box mac and cheese is what most think is good food or processed chicken nuggets. How many have had natural olives that weren't in a jar of vinegar? That is not good olives, you won't know unless you try the good stuff. Okay off my soapbox

sewgull 03-26-2016 05:22 PM

My family like turnips oven roasted on stews or soups. Oven roasted is the favorite. Cut into wedges or chucks not to thick, place on a greased baking sheet (use olive oil) Bake about 20 minutes at 410 degrees or until tender. To the same pan we like onions cut into wedges, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes and any other veggie on hand. Garlic is al tasty oven roasted. Turnips greens or any other greens don't take long to cook. Don't over cook they will be bitter. Add a pinch of baking soda to tenderize. I am a true Southern, born and bred in the South.

Onebyone 03-27-2016 08:17 AM

I am true hillbilly Southern. Born and raised in the woods of AR. A small garden was an acre. The herb garden was that size. My grandmother had more turnip, mustard, and collard greens growing then she could use. Greens are bitter in taste because they aren't simmered long enough. There is a turning point from wilted, to bitter, to fantastic. We had polk salat which is the most awesome food in the world to me. It's everywhere in the woods here.

elnan 03-27-2016 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by sweets (Post 7490853)
I welcome any ideas on the subject...thanks

Sweets, it looks like you have set off a chain of memories with your request. It and the other posts surely have for me.
I have two bookcases of cookbooks, and the ones I went through have much the same as what has been posted here, roasted with other vegetables, sauteed with chunked vegetables in cast iron skillet, or cooked like mashed potatoes. Some of the cookbooks didn't even mention turnips. To me cooked turnips have a sweet, pungent taste that I love, so different than when eating raw. They are good chunked and roasted in the same pan as lamb. So, I'd say go for it, any way you want to try may turn out to be a family favorite.
As did Onebyone, I too grew up in AR off the end of Crowley's Ridge, not far from where the St. Francis empties into the Mississippi. In that wonderful soil there, turnips were just the underground part that held the turnip greens while they grew. Some farmers managed the fields like today's "you-pick". Greens could be harvested several times and grew back from the same root. It was traditional to eat the greens like a spring tonic to cleanse the liver and clear the body of toxins. In my family turnips were just secondary to turnip greens.

roguequilter 03-28-2016 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7505484)
I am a city girl and I don't think I have ever eaten a turnip before.

then you need to head to the nearest grocery store/farm market and buy some turnips. everyone should be treated to the delight of turnips! :o ..i just boil mine. wonderful flavor, sorta sweet.