Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Apple Salad (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/apple-salad-t305557.html)

tranum 07-02-2019 04:55 AM

Apple Salad

My son-in-law loves this. It’s only 4 ingredients.

Drain 20 oz can of pineapple tidbits & save juice in large bowl
Whisk pineapple juice with 1 pkg butterscotch pudding (Instant)
Add 4 cups unpeeled Gala apples - cut in bite size pieces
Fold in pineapple & 1 carton (8 oz) carton whipped topping

ibex94 07-02-2019 05:35 AM

hmmmm, I may use this replacing the apples with something more chewable for elderly family members.... Thanks!

granky 07-02-2019 01:34 PM

?????? Am interested to know what you will use to replace apple bites.......

Barb in Louisiana 07-02-2019 05:26 PM

I make a similar fruit salad. You can change the fruits out to your taste.

Drain all the fruit as you open the cans and use this for your family size instant vanilla pudding.
1 lg can pineapple tidbits or crushed
1 can chopped sliced peaches
1 lg can Fruit Cocktail
2 sm cans mandarin oranges
3 lg or 5 small bananas
1 large Cool whip (I use about 2/3 of a 16 oz container)
1 family size instant vanilla sf pudding.

Use all the juice you drained and mix the instant pudding well. Add this to the bowl with the fruit and stir well. Add your Cool Whip and stir gently. Top with pecans or chopped cherries for garnish. Refrigerate and serve chilled.

You can add more fruits or leave some out. Fresh Blueberries will turn the whole dish blue. Fresh Strawberries add some zip. I have used the White Chocolate jello and it was good. Hadn't thought about the Butterscotch. The most importance for us is the pineapple and bananas. You can halve this recipe by using smaller cans or less of a variety of fruits. Overall, just be creative!

d.rickman 07-04-2019 05:10 AM

And for dessert: Frozen Citrus Pie - a very easy make ahead dessert, increases easily, serve in a cake pan instead of a pie pan for easier handling.

1 small 6fl oz frozen concentrate orange juice or lemonade
2 cups vanilla ice cream - softened
3 1/2 cups thawed whipped topping (Cool Whip) or 1 pint whipping cream, whipped
1 graham crust pie crust - made or purchased

Place concentrate in large mixer bowl and heat about 30 seconds. Gradually spoon in ice cream and blend. Fold in whipped topping, mixing gently until smooth. Freeze, if necessary, until mixture stiffens slightly. Spoon into pie crust. Freeze until firm at least 4 hours.

betthequilter 07-06-2019 04:27 AM

I make a summer salad called Heavenly Salad. It is basically any kind of canned fruit (drained) and any other fruit you wish to add. I always add apples. The "dressing" is sour cream and mini marshmallows. Does anyone know what the difference in taste would be between my dressing and the dressings listed above that use instant pudding and Cool Whip?

juliasb 07-06-2019 06:01 AM

Sounds yummy. Something I will have to try.

bkay 07-17-2019 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ibex94 (Post 8272320)
hmmmm, I may use this replacing the apples with something more chewable for elderly family members.... Thanks!

Elderly family members usually do pretty well if you peel the apples and make the bites smaller.

bkay