Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Artificial sweetners (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/artificial-sweetners-t281958.html)

sash 09-05-2016 08:16 AM

Artificial sweetners

I have used Splenda for years (can't stand sweet and low taste), but have been wondering about Stevia and others.
What do you like best?

Doggramma 09-05-2016 10:38 AM

I use Stevia whenever I use artificial sweetner.

LavenderBlue 09-05-2016 11:07 AM

After reading everything I can get my hands on, I only use Stevia.......safe for thousands of years, plant-based, etc.

jbj137 09-05-2016 01:22 PM

*** In diabetic 2 classes they told us Stevia or anything else that has been manufactured
*** is the same as being tampered with and no longer Natural and is not safe.
*** Aspertane/Apertame is actually a poison in and should be avoided by all.

orangeroom 09-05-2016 01:29 PM

I use truvia (which I think is the same thing as stevia). Tastes great and helped in my weight loss journey. I drink a lot of tea and only use truvia. I still use a lot, but there's zero calories, so it's all good! I just buy the big green bag, that's ~$8 where I get it. No need to rip open many little packets!

Onebyone 09-05-2016 02:55 PM

I like Monk Fruit sweetener. No artificial sweetener is good when heated though unless mixed with real sugar.

JustAbitCrazy 09-05-2016 10:01 PM

We only use stevia.

Edie 09-06-2016 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma (Post 7645660)
I use Stevia whenever I use artificial sweetner.

Stevia and Truvia are NOT artificial sweetners. They come from the Stevia plant. My niece planted some and couldn't figure where the leaves went to -- Ah Hah! The kids were eating them. I use Truvia for everything. Except canning. You can buy the seeds at any "fancy" seed store. I use the plastic container, because I love them when they are empty - Good place for extra bobbins, empty bobbins, pins, you name it! It is not like regular sugar in that you only use a little bit on cereal or fruit. I have never baked from scratch with it, because I don't bake stuff that much anymore. Just me and I am not going to eat it all - I love that stuff better than sugar. I think it tastes better than sugar. It is totally natural. 1/4 t is equal to 2 t regular sugar. Enjoy! Edie

ptquilts 09-06-2016 04:45 AM

I tried the Stevia in packets and was not impressed. Still got an "artificial sweetener" taste. My sister in law said to try the Stevia liquid drops, so I picked some up but have not tried them yet.

I wouldn't used any other kind of sweetener, they all taste bad to me. Can't stand diet soda. And the sugar alcohols (maltitol, etc) give me the trots.

lwbuchholz 09-06-2016 05:14 AM

I found a sweetener called Swerve. It says it is all natural but there isn't a sweetener that isn't processed except honey so who knows how natural. It tastes and acts like sugar which is also processed. I have grown stevia and it is a plant like sugar cane just calorie free. I do use stevia products and another product called whey low. Whey low has fewer calories than sugar but still has a high calorie count. It is good and can be used in cooking and canning. I also have and use the others mentioned. It is amazing how many sweeteners there is. I believe the only one that is natural and good for you is honey but it is still high calorie.
Lynda