Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Baked apples recipe, please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/baked-apples-recipe-please-t256824.html)

AZ Jane 11-15-2014 05:35 AM

Baked apples recipe, please

I know, I know. What is the problem, apples, little brown sugar, butter, bake. But mine were awful, dry, hard apples, no juice. How do you do yours? I was so embarrassed!!

youngduncan 11-15-2014 05:47 AM

I use four apples. Core them and leave the peels on. Put them in a baking dish, like a round French white which has deep sides. Put in a "dab" of butter, then a little brown sugar, then another "dab" of butter. Pour in one 12-oz. can of strawberry soda. Cover and bake at 350-degrees until the apples are soft. Baste them occasionally so that the strawberry soda flavor goes through.

The apples are full of flavor, and the resulting syrup makes a good topping for vanilla ice cream.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-15-2014 06:13 AM

I do pretty much what Youngduncan does except I use apple juice. I can see how strawberry soda might be a nice twist.

Tartan 11-15-2014 07:36 AM

Some apples just are not for cooking. Look for an apple variety that is recommended for cooking.

AZ Jane 11-15-2014 07:45 AM

I used Gala as I had heard they were good for baking. What should I have gotten? After 45 minutes were still just short of crunchy.

Tartan 11-15-2014 09:34 AM

I usually get apples that I can use for pies or sauce. Golden Delicious are a good one because that cook fast and you need less sugar. Granny Smith,Empire or Macintosh are all good choices. I like Idareds for pies but I will use any of the other varieties listed and adjust the cooking time.
This year I have been enjoying the Honey Crisp for eating (love these)but I haven't tried those for baking yet.

Dakota Rose 11-16-2014 07:23 AM

After I core the unpeeled apples and put them in the baking dish I fill the center with red cinnamon candy and pour Fresca or other clear lemon/lime soda around them. Bake in oven or microwave. Doesn't take much soda -- just a little so they don't burn. Started doing this from an old Weight Watchers recipe in the 60's. There was a company that made an unsweetened apple flavored soda (and cherry which I used sometimes). Can't do baked apples without the cinnamon candy for my family.

chris_quilts 11-17-2014 11:51 AM

When younger DD was in preschool, they used Red Delicious apples for making this. They cook fairly quickly and don't use much sugar either.
I use Braeburns for my pies and eating - good flavor for both. Winesaps, if you can find them, would also be wonderful for baked apples.

Mariah 11-17-2014 12:14 PM

I partially peel the apples; They will come out 1 round peeled; 1 round not peeled. Poke holes in them put in a pan, add some water, or apple juice, if you have it.
To get a nice Red color, I add Red food coloring, or Red Hots. Last, I add Tapioca to thicken the liquid to a sauce.
Bake abut 40 min. at350.
Let cool and serve as is, or with ice cream. A family favorite!!
Mariah