Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Beet greens (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/beet-greens-t255356.html)

Geri B 10-16-2014 05:16 AM

Beet greens

Just pulled beets out of garden....and heard about using the greens...always just tossed them... Looked up recipes and sautéed some with pasta, garlic, onion and jimmy deans pork sausage....Delicious lunch with leftovers for today's lunch. Will not throw those greens out anymore. FYI- actually same as spinach....picks up flavor of what you add......

Jo M 10-16-2014 09:16 AM

Yes, just like spinach (even better, I think.) Drop a few dried hot peppers in a small bottle, cover with cider vinegar and keep on hand to sprinkle over the beet tops. Great side dish. Yum. Will have to try your pasta idea.

Cactus Stitchin 10-16-2014 09:23 AM

My mother used the beet greens also and I still love them! Since I don't have a garden any longer I carefully pick my beets at the market to make sure the leaves are in good shape. I remember one clerk at the checkout asking if I wanted her to cut them off for me and the look of horror she had when I declined and said that I was going to cook them for dinner!

Geri B 10-17-2014 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Cactus Stitchin (Post 6931233)
My mother used the beet greens also and I still love them! Since I don't have a garden any longer I carefully pick my beets at the market to make sure the leaves are in good shape. I remember one clerk at the checkout asking if I wanted her to cut them off for me and the look of horror she had when I declined and said that I was going to cook them for dinner!

Don't you just love to shake some people up a bit!

Passed on my " new" cooking discovery to a few friends too...
Had the leftover portion of my beet greens & pasta yesterday for lunch. Added two slices of the beets from whence the greens came along with some grated Parmesan cheese....ahh! Some of the beets will make beet soup with homemade drop noodles(Polish heritage) others will become string bean, onion, beet salad with wine vinegar and oil..(Italian heritage)..

Janice Thompson 10-17-2014 07:46 AM

My mother cooked the greens then fried bacon cut in 1/2 " pieces and added vinegar. I think she put a little sugar in to cut the tartness of the vinegar. Being German we ate a lot of foods with vinegar

DACO48 10-17-2014 06:41 PM

I cook them down, flavor with vinegar and eat like spinach also.

wishfulthinking 10-18-2014 04:16 AM

When we lived in Louisville, KY, I could buy them pre-washed in big bags at one of the grocery stores. First time we'd ever had beet greens and we loved them! I'd saute them with garlic and olive oil, etc. Haven't been able to find them like that since we left Kentucky and I sure miss them!

Yooper32 10-18-2014 06:49 AM

My son would never eat the beets, either boiled or pickled, but he always loved the greens. Me too, but I love all parts of the plant

mandyrose 10-18-2014 07:24 AM

sounds delicious I love beets will have to pay more attention to the leaves when buying them thanks for your recipe

purplefiend 10-18-2014 05:53 PM

I love beet greens with butter and salt.