Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Blackberries are ripe! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/blackberries-ripe-t305102.html)

Onebyone 06-07-2019 11:32 AM

Blackberries are ripe!

1 Attachment(s)
I have a big canopy of thornless blackberry vines in the back yard. It's loaded down with blackberries. I picked a gallon this morning of big two inch blackberries. I have a blackberry cobbler in the oven. My grandmother use to make the best cobblers because she made her own curd from different fruits. I'm not that dedicated. I used this recipe from Pioneer Woman:

1/2 stick butter, melted, plus more for greasing pan

1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar

1 cup self-rising flour

1 cup whole milk

2 cups fresh (or frozen) blackberries

Whipped cream and/or ice cream, for serving

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 3-quart baking dish with butter.
In a medium bowl, whisk 1 cup sugar with the flour and milk. Whisk in the melted butter.
Rinse the blackberries and pat them dry. Pour the batter into the baking dish. Sprinkle the blackberries evenly over the top of the batter. Sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar over the blackberries. Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 1 hour. When 10 minutes of the cooking time remains, sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over the top.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]613632[/ATTACH]

charley26 06-07-2019 12:06 PM

Yum, yum, yum.

Tartan 06-07-2019 12:13 PM

Those are beauties! My Mom used to spread blackberries on wax paper covered cookie sheets and freeze them. Once they were frozen, she would put them in freezer bags for later use.

Iceblossom 06-07-2019 12:33 PM

Yum! We are still quite a bit away from blackberry time, and mostly what we have wild here are the bad thorny wild berries.

One of the vendors at our local farmer's market specializes in soft fruits, am going to let them pick them their lovely planted berries and I'll just have to pay. Right now it is still Strawberries, cherries will be coming soon along.

Tiggersmom 06-07-2019 01:29 PM

Oh my Goodness!!!!!!!!!! Fresh off the vine, you can't get any better than that!

Chasing Hawk 06-07-2019 01:39 PM

Yummy! I wish I lived close by.

ekuw 06-07-2019 02:41 PM

Blackberry cobble...oh that sounds so good. I am envious as they are one of my favorite berries :-)

Onebyone 06-07-2019 06:21 PM

I live in the south. You won't catch me picking wild berries. Not because of the thorns but because of chiggers.

Jane Quilter 06-07-2019 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8262871)
I live in the south. You won't catch me picking wild berries. Not because of the thorns but because of chiggers.

thornless blackberries are not wild, they are a unique berry "bush" modified to grow without protective thorns. I planted six small plants several years ago within the fenced garden barrier, and they supply an abundant amount of berries each year with out the pain. I leave the wild berries for the deer and wildlife.

tropit 06-08-2019 05:59 AM

Lucky you! Our berries are just now flowering...no berries yet. Thanks for that recipe.

~ C