Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Boiling eggs. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/boiling-eggs-t229613.html)

Blackberry 09-07-2013 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by true4uca (Post 6277718)
Just tried this and it really works. Bring eggs to a boil. Turn off heat, let sit for 18 minutes. Eggs are perfectly hard boiled, no black rings around yolks. Maybe everyone knew this but me.

An easy way to peel those eggs is to drain off the hot water after 18 minutes and put cold tap water on them. You may have to do this twice so the eggs will be cool enough to handle. Then put the lid on the pan and give the pan a few good shakes so they eggs hit the side of the pan and each other. This cracks them really good. Sometimes I then add a little water to the pan. Then take out each egg and they peel wonderfully.

kalady 09-07-2013 07:36 AM

I agree with the poster that says 15 min instead of 18- As a Home Economist, I have worked in various states for the Egg Board and 15 min keeps the whites tender and not rubbery. Baking soda in the water helps with the ez peel too.

true4uca 09-07-2013 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by kalady (Post 6279028)
I agree with the poster that says 15 min instead of 18- As a Home Economist, I have worked in various states for the Egg Board and 15 min keeps the whites tender and not rubbery. Baking soda in the water helps with the ez peel too.

Thanks, will try soda.

IBQUILTIN 09-07-2013 08:49 AM

Tess, could you post your recipe for the pickled eggs and beets? I have lost mine and can't remember it. I think its called oldtimers. lol I just love them together and they look so pretty in the jars

farmquilter 09-07-2013 04:37 PM

You really don't have to let them sit so long (depends on how hard you want them)but do turn them off as soon as the water boils. When ready, drain the water and then put lid back on pot, shake to crack the shells a little and fill with cold water, easy to peel. The other two things that I do is, add lots of salt to water, this will help even new eggs easy to peel and also add vinegar to the water and if they crack while in boiling water, it will cause the eggs to gel, kind of like doing poached eggs

Same thing I do, bring to a boil,cover, wait, drain, shake and peel.

piepatch 09-08-2013 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 6277917)
I learned that from Barefoot Contessa! I like to make pickled beets and eggs. they make the best hors d' ourves (appetizers). Great on a Greek Salad too!

tessagin, when you say pickled beets and eggs, do you mean pickled beets AND pickled eggs? I am asking because i once loved pickled, boiled eggs, but have not had them in years. They should be easy enough to make, but I have wondered about the vinegar mixture, and how long they stay fresh. One of my relatives used to make them, and I loved them, but I can't remember if she used straight vinegar, or a vinegar/water mix.

ptquilts 09-08-2013 08:20 AM

Ok, so using this method, how long would you leave them for soft-boiled? Whites done, yellows runny, please.

lbc 09-08-2013 08:39 AM

I used to use the method everyone is talking about but now bring them to a boil and continue boiling for 9 to 10 minutes. I'd take one out to test--all stoves are a bit different. They are always tender and no black ring.

JaniceP 09-08-2013 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by true4uca (Post 6277718)
Just tried this and it really works. Bring eggs to a boil. Turn off heat, let sit for 18 minutes. Eggs are perfectly hard boiled, no black rings around yolks. Maybe everyone knew this but me.

I do this but for 20 minutes let them sit in the hot water then pour off the hot water, rinse with cold water then add ice and cold water let them sit for just a few minutes and then crack and peel. Nice yellow every time!

w7sue 09-08-2013 06:09 PM

You guys have it all wrong ... you put the eggs in water, turn on the burner, then go to the mall. Yes, I did this one day! I came home quite a while later and the house was filled with smoke - thank goodness I didn't burn the house down! It took MONTHS to get rid of the smell! And, no, my husband doesn't know the real story!