Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Bread-Potatoes not Potato Bread, want recipe. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/bread-potatoes-not-potato-bread-want-recipe-t235149.html)

Just Jan 11-20-2013 01:53 PM

Bread-Potatoes not Potato Bread, want recipe.

Does anyone have a recipe for the German style Bread-Potatoes? Mom used to make them many years ago and I made them when my kids were little. My friend asked for the recipe but I don't have one. I just remember we made them in a skillet using any type of left over potatoes and added pieces of torn up bread (like for stuffing) and milk and then added whatever else we had at the time, like chopped onions or mushrooms or bits of bacon, etc. We added a bit of either Crisco or bacon grease or such so it would not stick to the skillet. We put a lid on it and steamed it til the flavors blended then removed the lid and let it brown, turning it periodically until it was not doughy but was sort of the consistency of stuffing, with pieces of the browned part throughout. Totally yummy! I used to serve them with supper, or at breakfast with eggs. I like gravy over mine. I would love to have an actual recipe to share with my friend, because I don't remember what amount of milk or how much bread to add to the potatoes, etc. (I think Mom used canned milk but I used whole milk.) This might even be an Amish recipe. If someone has a recipe please PM me. Thanks. Jan

needles3thread 11-20-2013 05:53 PM

This sounds a little bit like what we called potato cakes using left over mashed potatoes, cracker crumbs, egg/s
& maybe a little milk. We fried them in the skillet browning them on each side. No recipe.

Just Jan 11-21-2013 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by needles3thread (Post 6415943)
This sounds a little bit like what we called potato cakes using left over mashed potatoes, cracker crumbs, egg/s
& maybe a little milk. We fried them in the skillet browning them on each side. No recipe.

Thats a different recipe, but potato cakes are also very good. The recipe I am looking for is more the consistency of stuffing and the bread is mixed throught the potatoes. Haven't made potato cakes in a long time either and now I want some! lol

jeaninmaine 11-21-2013 11:30 AM

I hope someone finds the recipe, it sounds tasty.

Colbaltjars62 11-21-2013 11:50 AM

Sounds a lot like Potato Dumplings (a Polish dish).. Could also be a form of Scrapple, just depends what you add to it is all.

Wanabee Quiltin 11-22-2013 09:41 AM

No recipe, we just took leftover mashed potatoes and added egg and milk with some onion and other seasonings we liked. Fried it in Crisco until brown, we called it potato pancakes. Don't remember adding bread or crackers to our recipes though. Good luck in finding your recipe.

Just Jan 11-22-2013 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin (Post 6418747)
No recipe, we just took leftover mashed potatoes and added egg and milk with some onion and other seasonings we liked. Fried it in Crisco until brown, we called it potato pancakes. Don't remember adding bread or crackers to our recipes though. Good luck in finding your recipe.

That's what we called Potato Cakes. What I am looking for is Bread-Potatoes. Its quite different. Both are good though. Thanks for your post.

tessagin 11-22-2013 12:16 PM

Sounds almost like a hash. my mother would make a breakfast hash with leftover potatoes and onions, bacon/ham, mushrooms. but she would toast bread and add to it. Also would throw eggs into the mix. She called it a poor man's breakfast with a rich man's flare. She used what milk was left in the fridge. It was such a good recipe that when we had company she would cook extra bacon throughout the week and now often when I have left over potatoes and ham/bacon I put the mixture in a dish and make an omelet with it for DH breakfast. Can do a lot of things with it.

justme CA 11-22-2013 12:33 PM

Google "potato cake" you will come up with several recipes.

djrl 11-22-2013 12:59 PM

I don't make a full recipe, but this gives you the idea: http://www.cooks.com/recipe/s74e85fi...d-filling.html