Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Breakfast Sausage/Egg Muffins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/breakfast-sausage-egg-muffins-t310878.html)

tranum 05-06-2020 07:10 AM

Breakfast Sausage/Egg Muffins

I’ve made these 2x & totally winged it with no recipe but we like them so I made some notes. Preheated oven 350.

Brown 1# mild pork sausage with 1 shredded sweet potato, chopped onion, chopped green pepper. Let cool a bit.
Add coarse chopped mushrooms, sliced black olives. Leftover chopped Vegetables such as broccoli, kale, spinach would be okay.
Garlic salt, black pepper to taste & 1/8 tsp. (or less) red pepper flakes

Beat 16 eggs in mixer bowl. Add cooled off sausage mixture. Stir in about 6-8 oz.shredded cheese - I used 3 kinds hiding in the refrigerator. Fill jumbo muffin liners & sprinkle a little cheese on top. Bake 30 minutes then test with toothpick. Let cool on a rack, store covered in refrigerator. I take muffin paper off then reheat in microwave as it comes off better. Next time I may bake in loaf pan & cut slices. Makes 12 jumbo muffins.

Iceblossom 05-06-2020 08:58 AM

I really like the idea of the egg cups! That's something the hubby can do to make food ahead for his keto diet plans. We often get the one pound packages of sausage meats on sale or mark down, we always have eggs, we always have cheese, and we mostly have keto friendly vegetables and we have muffin tins and a toaster oven big enough to cook them. My wall oven was original to the house and died a few years back, yes I've checked out all the options and you have to believe me the most reasonable thing is to do without or do a complete kitchen remodel.

The last big economic upheaval happened right when my vision issues were really active and I lost my job and have basically remained outside the workforce ever since. We had just refinanced before the crash based on having two incomes in order to re-do the kitchen and some other projects but ended up having to use the capital for living expenses. We did however, get the new roof, the new furnace and the bathroom rebuilt which were the critical projects. I have a toaster oven, dutch ovens that can be used on the range top, and I am killer with a Weber charcoal grill and can cook beer-can chickens, a little turkey (10-12 pound) or a 5 pound leg of lamb...

We have a bunch of eggs right now, it's beautiful spring and the local chickens are laying like crazy. Hubby went out a couple of days ago and bought 3 dozen from a local person, tucked away in a little section of the county near to the freeway but quite rural. It happens I used to work out that way and so he had been on some of the back roads before, but would have surprised him. There was a P-patch (public gardening project, you can rent a plot for very little money so even if you live in an apt or homeless you can still garden) out near there and a park that I would go to for my lunch time walks.

NZquilter 05-06-2020 12:55 PM

I've been making something similar lately, but I never thought to add in some sweet potato! I love sweet potatoes. Thanks for the idea!

Snooze2978 05-07-2020 04:40 AM

I make a similar egg muffin but don't use paper tins as I couldn't get them off. Good to know if you reheat in microwave they'll come off. I also don't bother putting everything together before I pour them into the muffin tins. I usually just put all the little goodies into each tin, mix the egg mixture in my blender and then pour over into the tin. This way I know each tin has about the same amount of goodies in them. You can also freeze them too. I used to make a couple dozen of them at a time and put 2/3 of them into the freezer as I live alone and can eat only so many. They're great to heat and run when in a hurry in the mornings too. They won't or shouldn't fall apart on you.

tranum 05-07-2020 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 (Post 8383605)
I make a similar egg muffin but don't use paper tins as I couldn't get them off. Good to know if you reheat in microwave they'll come off. I also don't bother putting everything together before I pour them into the muffin tins. I usually just put all the little goodies into each tin, mix the egg mixture in my blender and then pour over into the tin. This way I know each tin has about the same amount of goodies in them. You can also freeze them too. I used to make a couple dozen of them at a time and put 2/3 of them into the freezer as I live alone and can eat only so many. They're great to heat and run when in a hurry in the mornings too. They won't or shouldn't fall apart on you.

I discovered paper comes off better when .

SusieQOH 05-08-2020 12:04 PM

That sounds so good! Thanks, Tranum.

tranum 05-09-2020 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by tranum (Post 8383611)
I discovered paper comes off better when .

I’ve discovered paper comes off better when COLD.

tranum 05-13-2020 02:17 PM

I thought a bread loaf pan would be good but it’s not. It’s so darn thick. I’ll use a flatter pan or go back to muffin pans again instead.