Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Broccoli Salad (aka Woodtick Salad) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/broccoli-salad-aka-woodtick-salad-t287941.html)

bearisgray 05-02-2017 05:05 AM

Broccoli Salad (aka Woodtick Salad)

This is a composite recipe

Salad Ingredients:

1 large bunch broccoli
1/2 to 1 cup mild onion (red or white) sliced or diced
1/2 to 1 cup raisins (golden or dark) **
1/2 to 1 cup sunflower seeds***

1/4 to 1 cup cooked, crumbled bacon ****

* Break the broccoli florets into small pieces. I peel the tough layer off the stems and chop them up and add to the salad.
** It is "Woodtick Salad" if one uses the dark raisins.
*** I prefer the salted, roasted sunflower seeds.
**** Do not use Bac-Os. Yuck!!!
**** I use the precooked bacon found in bags - usually near the salad dressings in the store
**** The salad tastes good without any bacon at all.
*****I've seen some recipes that have added grated cheese to this. I have never tried it and don't think I would like it in this salad.

Dressing:

1 cup mayonnaise (IHellman's is recommended) *
2 to 8 tablespoons sugar **
1 to 8 tablespoons (white or cider) vinegar ***

* I use "regular/original" Hellman's -
** I use 3 to 4 T sugar
*** I use 3 to 4 T cider vinegar

In a large bowl, combine salad ingredients.
In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients.
Just before serving, stir dressing into salad mixture.

It's best "right away" - but we've eaten it when it's been up to several days old.

Once one gets done with cutting up the broccoli and onions, it's pretty easy to prepare.

cashs_mom 05-02-2017 05:06 AM

Thanks, bear. I am on an anti inflammatory diet to help with some health problems and have to eat a lot of cruciferous veggies. This will be a great addition to my diet!

pal 05-03-2017 04:39 AM

Too funny. I poured through recipe books last night looking for a recipe for broccoli salad to bring to the Club, found only 1. Decided to "wing it". Something tells me yours is going to taste much better.

Wanabee Quiltin 05-03-2017 06:30 AM

I have made this salad many times too and I always cut down on the sugar, its way too sweet if you use the original ingredients. I'm not a fan of broccoli but this is very good. My DH is on Warfarin and has to avoid broccoli so it's banned from our home.

nlgh 05-03-2017 07:40 AM

This sounds like a salad I would like. I think I will take it to the next potluck we have at church.l

farmquilter 05-03-2017 12:53 PM

So more information about the name of the salad, good to find your suggestions.
Am going to take a broccoli salad to my ladies event. Do you think it would still taste OK is I used Red Wine vinegar.
Am going to make up the dressing you listed and see how the salad goes for supper.

suern3 05-03-2017 04:01 PM

farmquilter- I always use red wine vinegar when I make a very similar recipe. It's very good.

pocoellie 05-03-2017 05:45 PM

I make a salad very much like yours, but mine has cauliflower and cheese, which you mentioned. It is a very good salad, I also use "real" bacon.