Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Butter Tarts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/butter-tarts-t271670.html)

Tartan 10-30-2015 09:11 AM

Butter Tarts

1 Attachment(s)
Well I picked up new raisins for my butter tarts. 6 dozen tarts and a pie and they look scrumptious.[ATTACH=CONFIG]534553[/ATTACH]

coopah 10-30-2015 09:30 AM

Those look scrumptious, Tartan! Do you add nuts, too? My husband's gram made them with nuts & raisins and caled them 'chess pies.' They are SO good! Now all you need is a cup of tea!

barny 10-30-2015 09:35 AM

Oh, I'll take 3 dozen please. LOL They do look scrumptious. You're good.

Tartan 10-30-2015 09:57 AM

Coopah, I do sometimes add chopped pecans at Christmas.

ManiacQuilter2 10-30-2015 12:36 PM

They do look scrumptious, Tartan! You mean you haven't tested your own cooking yet?? I would have probably eaten at least a half a dozen of them even before they cooled off. Enjoy. :)

Tothill 10-30-2015 03:21 PM

Yum. Butter Tarts are one of my favourites.

I have to switch up the 'extras' in the filling for my family. Nuts for DD, nuts and dried cranberries for me, currants and raisins for the boys.

coopah 10-30-2015 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7360984)
Coopah, I do sometimes add chopped pecans at Christmas.

That's when we always had them, so maybe that's the tradition. We could only visit then, so that's all that I know. Think that recipe is around here somewhere.
They look wonderful...salivating with that picture!! :-)
Edited to add: I looked up Chess Pie and the picture and ingredients are not what Grama made. So I looked up butter tarts and it's what we were served as chess pie. Go figure!

Mamia 10-31-2015 06:29 AM

I've not seen this recipe would you please give the recipe. I make pecan tarts for Christmas but never butter tarts.
Thanks Mamia<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

Tartan 10-31-2015 07:44 AM

Well there is a big Butter Tart debate of raisins or no raisins. My Granny (for going on close to 100 years) called her recipe with raisins Butter Tarts, so this is her filling.
for 2 dozen tarts

2/3 cup margarine or butter (I use Becel ' cause that make than healthier, right
:D )
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
2/3 cup corn syrup
1 and 1/2 cup raisins ( I always add extra cause I love them)
1/2 tsp. salt

Cream the margarine and sugar together in a bowl. Add the eggs and mix well. Add corn syrup, vanilla, salt and stir. Add the raisins and stir again. Ready to fill shells for baking. Bake at 350 about 12 minutes. The tops should turn golden when ready to remove from the oven.

Personal notes: if the raisins are dry, I soak them in warm water a half hour and drain before adding to the mixture. Do not over fill your shells as the sugar boiling over makes them hard to remove from tart tins.

ScubaK 10-31-2015 07:56 AM

Tartan,
What is your recipe for the shell/crust?
These look amazing!
Kirsten