Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Cabbage Soup - No, WAIT! - Come back! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/cabbage-soup-no-wait-come-back-t241292.html)

Rose_P 02-16-2014 01:12 PM

Cabbage Soup - No, WAIT! - Come back!

I've been dieting a bit lately, not really dieting, per se, but eating healthy for a change, and losing a little weight is just a fringe benefit. Today I surprised myself by really liking this soup, and my DH liked it, too. That's really saying something because I think he has about 10 times as many taste buds as I do. He will eat almost anything, but tends to be stingy with compliments. He not only praised this but he wanted a second helping.

All measurements are approximate. I just throw my soups together.

Quick Cabbage Tomato Soup

1 T. of olive oil. Can add a little butter if you want.

3 cups of shredded cabbage (I used a coleslaw blend from Sam's Club that has some red cabbage and carrots as well as green cabbage, and I just grabbed several handfuls and threw it in.)

2 cups of chicken broth (or beef would work if that's what you have on hand. I prefer vacuum packed broth with no MSG. You could also use bouillon cubes with water as directed, but they have a lot of sodium, I think. I poured in enough broth to cover the cabbage.)

1 can of diced tomatoes, not drained

2 T. powdered ranch dressing mix (optional - It adds a few calories and some sodium.)

In a 3 qt. pot, saute the cabbage in the oil over medium high heat for about 5 minutes.

Add the broth and tomatoes and heat to boiling. Stir in the ranch dressing mix if using. Ready.

I didn't expect to like it, but I wish I'd made twice as much. For a heartier soup, you could add some meatballs, but I didn't, and this was quite filling as is. I hope you enjoy it!

Tartan 02-16-2014 01:53 PM

I like soup, so it sounds good. I saw how people are using it to lose weight but having it everyday would be too much.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-16-2014 02:17 PM

Italian sausage is excellent in it, too. It probably voids all the good for you stuff, though.

Pinkiris 02-16-2014 04:32 PM

Sounds yummy to me! So many recipes are calling for dry ranch dressing mix--I wonder if anyone has a recipe to make your own and save a little money and some sodium???

mandyrose 02-16-2014 05:06 PM

sounds good to me I love cabbage, for tomorrows diner making ham and string beans with cabbage and potatoes throw everything in my large crock pot and let cook..mmmm! now I can't wait thinking about it

duckydo 02-17-2014 05:32 AM

ww has a good cabbage soup also, Chicken broth, carrots, green beans, cabbage, 2 T tomato puree, onions.. it is zero points. web site LaLoosh has a lot of ww recipes also

KimmerB 02-17-2014 06:56 AM

I like the WW one and will try this recipe. I think I saw a home made recipe for dry ranch dressing on Pinterest.

wendiq 02-17-2014 07:56 AM

I just added chicken broth and cabbage to my grocery list! I'll give it a try.....than you!

llong0233 02-17-2014 08:51 AM

This also sounds like the "Peel a Pound" soup that was all the rage in the 80s.

madamekelly 02-17-2014 09:42 AM

2 T. powdered ranch dressing mix (optional - It adds a few calories and some sodium.)

I wonder if there is something I can substitute for the Ranch dressing? I have a severe sensitivity to MSG, and Ranch is loaded with it...