Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   cake pan? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/cake-pan-t300337.html)

PurplePassion 10-19-2018 07:05 PM

cake pan?

I made an apple cake and used a 9" cake pan that I had for several years. There was a little rust in the pan, but I wiped it out and sprayed it with cooking oil. 1 day later the bottom of the cake and apples has turned black. Is it still good to eat? I will be throwing the pan away.

Murphy224 10-20-2018 02:58 AM

I for one would not eat it. Chances are the pan was made in China and you can't be sure of the materials used, especially those under the top coating. I had a couple of non-stick 9x13 pans that had the same issue. Tossed them too. Use a coupon and get a Wilton's pan at Michaels, Joann, or Hobby Lobby and start over.....
just my 2 cents worth....

judykay 10-20-2018 05:22 AM

Toss both the cake and the pan, why take a chance. I have always gone by the mantra "If in doubt throw out". Better safe than sorry and I for one would be very afraid to eat it.

bearisgray 10-20-2018 06:35 AM

When possible, I use glass (Pyrex, Anchor Hocking, etc.) for baking things that have apples or rhubarb in them.

There is something about the acid in the fruit that reacts with metal that makes the baked item icky in a day or two.

madamekelly 10-20-2018 12:18 PM

[QUOTE=bearisgray;8146359]When possible, I use glass (Pyrex, Anchor Hocking, etc.)

I have always been told to avoid “Anchor Hocking” glass pans because they tend to have more flaws in the glass, and tend to break while cooking. Have I been misinformed?

bearisgray 10-20-2018 01:13 PM

[QUOTE=madamekelly;8146498]

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8146359)
When possible, I use glass (Pyrex, Anchor Hocking, etc.)

I have always been told to avoid “Anchor Hocking” glass pans because they tend to have more flaws in the glass, and tend to break while cooking. Have I been misinformed?

I vaguely remember reading/hearing about "exploding" glassware.

My personal experience:

When removing hot containers from the oven - I put them on a dry cutting board or dry hot pads or dry wire racks.

Once I put a glass lid over a hot burner. (I was not thinking on that one !) It exploded into lots of little pieces. Not one of my finer moments.

Glass will break if dropped or dinged around. It's also important to avoid scratches on it. So - use a plastic knife for cutting.

I have lots of metal cake pans that "someone" - not me! - had gouged while cutting cakes or bars. That did not make me happy.

Do not plunge a hot pan or lid into cold water. Can cause breakage.

maviskw 10-21-2018 04:49 PM

Old tin pans will turn black and will turn other things black if haven't been washed for a while. They were not made in China. I have a food mill that I need to wash just before use or it will turn things black. If I used it yesterday, I still need to wash before use. Whatever that black is, it will not hurt you. It's just unsightly. I would cut off the black part, eat the cake, and wash the pan well before each use.

The exploding dishes were the pyrex type that were made in China. So don't put those dishes in the oven unless you know they were made in this country.

And remove your baked goods soon after baking. Do not store leftover cake in them.

Needles 10-21-2018 06:48 PM

My Pyrex is all older than 56 years, were wedding presents. Never has one ever exploded. Only one casserole broke, it met it's match with my terrazzo kitchen floor.

zozee 10-21-2018 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy224 (Post 8146247)
I for one would not eat it. Chances are the pan was made in China and you can't be sure of the materials used, especially those under the top coating. I had a couple of non-stick 9x13 pans that had the same issue. Tossed them too. Use a coupon and get a Wilton's pan at Michaels, Joann, or Hobby Lobby and start over.....
just my 2 cents worth....

Ditto this. Never had a problem with my Wilton pans. Love the results. Worth the extra $. PS I wouldn't eat the cake, but can't say whether it would hurt you or not. But do you really want to find out?

cashs_mom 10-21-2018 07:32 PM

The only thing I have heard about exploding glass bakeware is the junk made in China which some of the newer things are. I tried to find lids for some of my corning ware only to find they weren't available. I finally found a place called "World Kitchen" that had some. I didn't realize they were the Chinese replacements. I ordered two, but the don't fit well. It was after that that I heard about the exploding Chinese bakeware so I don't use those lids in the oven.