Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Cake walk (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/cake-walk-t203538.html)

justme CA 10-19-2012 03:25 PM

They just called them Cake Sales in California when my 65 year old "kids" went to elementary school and later when I was a teacher. Your kid never told you the cake was due next morning until ten thirty at night as they went to bed. Ugh!

ShabbyTabby 10-19-2012 05:49 PM

Hummingbird Cake
Ingredients
· 1 package yellow cake mix with pudding (2 layer size)
· (If you can’t find pudding cake, add 1 small pkg. vanilla pudding mix)*
· 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice (undrained)
· 1 cup mashed ripe banana (2-3 medium sized)
· 1/2 cup water
· 1/2 cup vegetable oil
· 3 large eggs
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1 teaspoon cinnamon
· 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted and divided
Cream Cheese frosting
· 8 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temp
· 1/2 cup butter, softened at room temp
· 3 3/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2 (If you haven’t toasted the pecans, now is the perfect time to do it while the oven is preheating. Just spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 5-6 minutes or until you can smell them toasting.) Grease and flour a 12 cup bundt pan or 9 x 13 pan.
3 I n a large mixing bowl, mix on low speed for 1 minute the cake mix, pineapple and juice, bananas, water, oil, eggs, vanilla and cinnamon. (and pudding mix if used)
4 Stop mixer and scrape down, then mix at medium speed for 2 minutes more.
5 Stir in by hand the 1/2 cup nuts.
6 Batter will be thick and fruit well blended.
7 Pour into prepared pan.
8 Bake on middle rack for 50-60 minutes.
9 Cake will be golden and spring back when touched.
10 Cool in pan for 20 minutes then cool completely.

11 Make the cream cheese frosting.
12 Mix the cream cheese and butter on low 30 seconds.
13 Add the powdered sugar, slowly still at low speed until well blended.
14 Add vanilla, increase to medium and beat 1 minute.
15 Frost cooled cake and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup pecans.
16 Store in the refrigerator up to one week.

NOTE: If you can’t find a cake with pudding mix in it, just add 1 small pkg. instant Banana or Vanilla pudding mix to cake mix

TanyaL 10-19-2012 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz (Post 5597719)
Never heard of a cakewalk (except as an old music hall dance); it sounds like fun. Does it have to be a "cake"? Do you get your dish back? Reason I'm asking, my most requested dessert, called Barbara Dessert in our family, is a kind of trifle. Bake brownies from a mix (or use white or chocolate cake mix), cut into chunks, put a layer in a trifle dish or other glass dish with deep sides. Add a layer of pudding (I use sugar free, fat free instant), a layer of Cool Whip, then chocolate candy ground up (for me, it's Reese's pb cups). Repeat layers ending up with the crushed candy on top. Super easy and looks like you really worked hard. Saying "my most requested dessert" sounds like I think I'm some great cook/baker. I'm not, just okay, but I do have a few dessert recipes that are excellent.

I never heard of getting a dish back.

TanyaL 10-19-2012 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by justme CA (Post 5597727)
They just called them Cake Sales in California when my 65 year old "kids" went to elementary school and later when I was a teacher. Your kid never told you the cake was due next morning until ten thirty at night as they went to bed. Ugh!

I think part of the fun of the Cake Walk is that the adults buy the tickets and the kids do the walking. If there aren't enough cakes, then of course it is like a raffle and every ticket is not a winner - another difference between a Cake Walk and a cake sale.

KyKaren1949 10-20-2012 04:26 AM

Traditionally they have cake walks at school fall festivals or summer outdoor church dinners. At my school, we always had a cake walk during the fall festival. They played music and you walked around and around in the large circle. Then when the music stopped, each person stops on a numbered square taped to the floor. They then drew a number from a bag that corresponded to the square someone was standing on. That person wins the cake. Tickets are sold for you to be able to participate in the cake walk. At school, it was 50 cents for each opportunity or turn to play. It's used as a fund-raiser.

In my community, all the Catholic churches take turns from Memorial Day through Labor Day having big outdoor barbecues. The men work from very early morning hours until early afternoon cooking pork, chicken or whatever other meat they sell, over large wooden fire pits. Another team will make Burgoo, which is a soup made of various meats, vegetables, etc. in a tomato based thick broth. (Delicious)

The women of the church get together earlier in the week and make literally hundreds of pounds of potato salad. They have a big dinner stand where you can eat a BBQ dinner, sell barbecue sandwiches or cups of Burgoo. You can also buy the products to take home.

They'll often have a quilt raffle, a coke stand, Bingo games, other carnival type games of chance for the kiddos; both big and small. It's great fun, but sure is a lot of work. For the churches, it's one of their biggest money raising ventures of the year and takes a year to plan.

mrs. fitz 10-20-2012 07:42 AM

Different areas, different customs. TanyaL replied to my response by saying she never heard of getting a dish back. I was talking about church dinners or potlucks where you bring something, or bringing a dessert to someone's house, you put your name on the bottom of your dish so you get the right one back. As I had said, never knew about a cake walk and have no idea how they're done.

Yvonne 10-20-2012 08:19 AM

If you want something that is all for show try this. Any person would want to take it home! It's all about presentation!
http://makinglifedelicious.com/2012/...-easy-to-make/

nancyw 10-20-2012 08:57 AM

At our school carnival they get tons of cakes, cupcakes, cookies and they sell tickets , everybody walks the path, when the music stops and the number is called whoever is standing on the number gets to choose what they want. The more garish or sweeter it is seems to go first. Everyone has lots of fun and even the adults join in.

RainydayQuilter 10-20-2012 10:05 AM

Last fall for our school's carnival we had a couple of parents that did a "cake kit" for the cake walk. It was a disposable pan, name brand cake mix and a container of frosting. They were some of the first ones picked. Good luck with your cake walk.

TanyaL 10-20-2012 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz (Post 5599173)
Different areas, different customs. TanyaL replied to my response by saying she never heard of getting a dish back. I was talking about church dinners or potlucks where you bring something, or bringing a dessert to someone's house, you put your name on the bottom of your dish so you get the right one back. As I had said, never knew about a cake walk and have no idea how they're done.

We have those also and you always get your dish back or you put your food in a disposable dish. A cake walk is different.