Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Candied Popcorn recipe needed !! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/candied-popcorn-recipe-needed-t207951.html)

BMP 12-08-2012 03:52 PM

Candied Popcorn recipe needed !!

I seemed to have misplaced my recipe and my sister and I want to make this tomorrow.
Do you have a recipe to share.
I do remember mine had butter ( I think 1 stick) Lt Karo syrup, sugar, ??????

I remember we tried 2 and liked the one better ...of course we have the rejected recipe but not the one we liked !

JackieMN 12-08-2012 04:23 PM

This is my favorite one. I give half away because it is so calorie heavy.

2 sticks butter
1/2 cup white Karo syrup
2 cups light brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
6 qts. popped corn (about three large microwave bags)
1 tsp. baking soda

Oven 200 to 225

Boil brown sugar, butter, syrup and salt for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add baking soda, stir well.
Pour over popped corn, mix until well coated. Spread on cookie sheet and place in the oven for one hour.
Turn every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. I spread on a sheet of parchment paper to cool.
Store in airtight containers.

Enjoy!!

BMP 12-08-2012 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by JackieMN (Post 5706810)
This is my favorite one. I give half away because it is so calorie heavy.

2 sticks butter
1/2 cup white Karo syrup
2 cups light brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
6 qts. popped corn (about three large microwave bags)
1 tsp. baking soda

Oven 200 to 225

Boil brown sugar, butter, syrup and salt for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add baking soda, stir well.
Pour over popped corn, mix until well coated. Spread on cookie sheet and place in the oven for one hour.
Turn every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. I spread on a sheet of parchment paper to cool.
Store in airtight containers.

Enjoy!!

Thanks but I recall ours called for white sugar and we add oil flavoring (cinnamon) and food color paste. It makes a hard candy type coating ..

bakermom 12-08-2012 09:39 PM

I use 2 cups sugar, 1 cup butter, 1/2 cup karo. bring to boil, boil 5 min. then pour over roaster full of popped corn. Sometimes I make two batches, one red, one green and mix them for Christmas. we like it better than forming it into popcorn balls-easier to eat!

Brovy 12-09-2012 02:27 AM

Thanks JackieMN for this pop corn recipe. All ingredients are good and the method is also very good. So keep sharing new kind of recipes.

cairns 12-10-2012 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by bakermom (Post 5707341)
I use 2 cups sugar, 1 cup butter, 1/2 cup karo. bring to boil, boil 5 min. then pour over roaster full of popped corn. Sometimes I make two batches, one red, one green and mix them for Christmas. we like it better than forming it into popcorn balls-easier to eat!

Do you bake yours also, what about the soda and salt? How much pop corn

BMP 12-10-2012 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by cairns (Post 5710225)

This recipe sounds very close to what I used before although I did add the baking soda and salt to it along with the flavoring and coloring paste. We also baked it for 1 hour @ 250* turning every 15 minutes.....
I am going to use this recipe !

mjsylvstr 12-10-2012 06:00 AM

here's a really easy one and definitely delicious....called Quilters' Popcorn...........from this board...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes...n-t193538.html

Enjoy, I am going to be using this recipe again and again.......Merry Christmas all.....

bakermom 12-10-2012 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by cairns (Post 5710225)

Yes there is baking soda-i always forget to list it. I don't use any salt though.
I use 1/2 cup unpopped corn, it probably makes 12-14 cups popped. It fills my big roaster . I dump it into a big bowl first and shake it a bit to get the unpopped kernals to the bottom. Then I transfer it to my roaster and add the hot syrup. I put it in the oven at 250 and stir every 15 min. for 45 min. to an hour.
sorry to be so vague-I've been making this so long I just "do it" without thinking.