Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Cauliflower or Broccoflower Recipe (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/cauliflower-broccoflower-recipe-t164037.html)

QuilterToo 10-28-2011 06:53 PM

Does anyone know of a good cauliflower or Broccoflower Recipe?

gnewk 10-29-2011 05:10 AM

Sure not LOW calorie, but it sure is good and super easy!!!

Broccoli Casserole

Ingredients
2 packages chopped broccoli
1/2 to 1lb Velveeta cheese
1 stick margarine
Ritz Crackers, crushed (enough to put a good coat on top)

Directions
Cook broccoli according to directions on package, drain well. Return broccoli to pan, add butter and cheese, stir over low heat until melted. Pour into casserole spray coated dish, top with crackers crumbs. Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes.

drw1mjw2 10-29-2011 05:33 AM

Boil the cauliflower and one potato, mash and add a little salt and butter.

blueangel 10-29-2011 06:02 AM

Sounds good

lunavic 10-29-2011 06:08 AM

I don't remember where I found this but it is a hit with all:

Broccoli & Cauliflower Gratin
1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets (about 3 cups)
1 head of broccoli, cut into florets (about 3 cups)
1/2 lb bacon
3/4 cup cream
1 tsp (heaping) flour
1 cup shredded cheddar
1/2 cup bread crumbs (can mix seasoned with Panko)
6 tsp butter

Place a large pot of salted water on to boil. Cut the cauliflower and broccoli into florets, and once water boils, drop them in and let them cook for 1 minute. (Any longer and they are too mushy after baking.) Drain and place in a 9x13 casserole dish.
Cook bacon until crisp and drain on paper towels. Crumble.
In a bowl combine the cream, flour, and cheddar as well as the bacon. Pour mixture over the cauliflower and broccoli and top with bread crumbs. Drop teaspoons of butter all over the top and place in 350 degree oven. Let bake for 40-45 minutes until the top is nice and golden brown.

Murphy1 10-29-2011 06:22 AM

This looks wonderful Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by lunavic
I don't remember where I found this but it is a hit with all:

Broccoli & Cauliflower Gratin
1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets (about 3 cups)
1 head of broccoli, cut into florets (about 3 cups)
1/2 lb bacon
3/4 cup cream
1 tsp (heaping) flour
1 cup shredded cheddar
1/2 cup bread crumbs (can mix seasoned with Panko)
6 tsp butter

Place a large pot of salted water on to boil. Cut the cauliflower and broccoli into florets, and once water boils, drop them in and let them cook for 1 minute. (Any longer and they are too mushy after baking.) Drain and place in a 9x13 casserole dish.
Cook bacon until crisp and drain on paper towels. Crumble.
In a bowl combine the cream, flour, and cheddar as well as the bacon. Pour mixture over the cauliflower and broccoli and top with bread crumbs. Drop teaspoons of butter all over the top and place in 350 degree oven. Let bake for 40-45 minutes until the top is nice and golden brown.

QuilterToo 10-29-2011 07:03 AM

Thank u so much, Now I can bring that side dish to the reception.

lindy-2 10-29-2011 07:35 AM

broccoli salad

1 large head broccoli
2 large carotts
1 large onion
1/2 cup mayo
4 strips bacon
1 TBS vinigar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
pepper to tast

cut up veggies fry bacon crisp and crumble set aside mix dressing ingrediants mix with veggies let sit at least 3 hours. sprinke with bacon befor seving.

arimuse 10-29-2011 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterToo

if its for getting someone to eat cauliflwr who doesnt like it, I had a great lower carb mashed potato at a restaurant I liked so much I asked for the recipe. It goes like this (I make it from my head, lol)
boil equal amouts of potatoes and cualiflower in separate pots. Boil cauli to very tender, boil potatoes to mash.
drain both, put in 1 pot and mash or whip with your rotary beaters to smooth with a little milk, and butter, garlic, salt, pepper, and throw in some parsley too.
Just make what you would to feed your family for mashed potatoes, but replace half the potato with cauliflower. No one will even know there is cauliflower in the potatoes!! sharet
(make sure cauli is drained very well)

lindy-2 10-29-2011 02:47 PM

ive had spinach potatoes (obvisly a bit hard to hide that) but never cauliflower potatoes. sounds interesting.

Originally Posted by arimuse

Originally Posted by QuilterToo

if its for getting someone to eat cauliflwr who doesnt like it, I had a great lower carb mashed potato at a restaurant I liked so much I asked for the recipe. It goes like this (I make it from my head, lol)
boil equal amouts of potatoes and cualiflower in separate pots. Boil cauli to very tender, boil potatoes to mash.
drain both, put in 1 pot and mash or whip with your rotary beaters to smooth with a little milk, and butter, garlic, salt, pepper, and throw in some parsley too.
Just make what you would to feed your family for mashed potatoes, but replace half the potato with cauliflower. No one will even know there is cauliflower in the potatoes!! sharet
(make sure cauli is drained very well)