Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Celery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/celery-t308748.html)

rainbowzebra 12-23-2019 06:17 AM

Did you know limp celery can be revived by placing in a bowl of cold water with a peeled cut up raw potato. Takes about 20 minutes, you would never know it had gone limp.

juliasb 12-23-2019 06:45 AM

From time to time I get a great deal of celery. It does not freeze well (sorry). It gets soggy when thawed. The better way to save it is to dehydrate it and make it into celery powder. You will have the best ever celery powder you have ever tasted!. When dehydrated you can also use it without powdering it (in a magic bullet or blender) in soups or rehydrate for stuffings or other things you use celery. It is great this way too.

trolleystation 12-23-2019 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 8343853)
Depends what you want to use it for .... if you plan to cook after, then no problem with the freezer.

I chop/slice/dice to whatever shape/size I will use it for after. Then freeze.
Add ... in its frozen state to soups, stews, hash, casseroles, stir fries, etc.

Bon Appetit!

Being by myself, I seldom can use a whole bunch. Freezing is the answer.

tropit 12-23-2019 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by rainbowzebra (Post 8344072)
Did you know limp celery can be revived by placing in a bowl of cold water with a peeled cut up raw potato. Takes about 20 minutes, you would never know it had gone limp.

What does the potato do?

~ C

coopah 12-23-2019 11:40 AM

Tin foil like Rhonda K said. Keeps a long time that way.

Karamarie 12-23-2019 04:14 PM

Chop and freeze for me.

maviskw 12-23-2019 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by sewverybusy1 (Post 8343976)
You can dry celery in the microwave, with care. Use stalks & leaves, cut really small, layer onto several sheets of paper towels & cover as well. Then microwave on a medium temp for about 20-30 seconds at a time. Turn & rearrange the celery several times til dry. Usually only 4-5 cycles. Remember- 20-30 second bursts or you could have a fire in the microwave!! Watch closely.
sewverybusy1

I have put celery in the microwave to cook a little before putting it into another recipe. Celery starts to burn right away. Those little hairs on the edges catch fire and make the cutest little flames. We have fun just watching that. The flames go out in about half a second.

Snooze2978 12-24-2019 05:53 AM

I freeze celery all the time. I chop it up for my soups, lay them single file on a cookie sheet and put them into the freezer until frozen. Then I place them in a freezer bag for later use. Laying them on a cookie sheet without covering keeps them from freezing together so when you go to use them, they're not all in alump together. I do this with onions, carrots, celery, peppers and squash. I also freeze leftover milk too. Don't like to waste anything if I can help it. When I picked up some eggnog the other day, they had a slip of paper to give me and it stated right there you could freeze it.

rainbowzebra 12-24-2019 06:03 AM

Sorry no one ever told me why it works. Have done this few times and it does work. Maybe the starch in the potatoes has something to do with it.

annievee 12-24-2019 07:35 AM

Thanks for answering , will try the freezing method !