Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Chimichangas-[i think you know as "wet burritos"] (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/chimichangas-%5Bi-think-you-know-wet-burritos-%5D-t188449.html)

Phyllis nm 05-08-2012 09:15 PM

Chimichangas-[i think you know as "wet burritos"]

This is how I make mine. <O:p></O:p>
I make the CHIMICHANGAS first and freeze them. It is a lot of work, so I make them and freeze them ahead of time. About a month ago I made 100. Then I make the sauce and freeze it in 1 ½ to 2 cup portions. {One pkg. for each burrito.} They are in high demand among my friends. Then I thaw them in the microwave and toast the burritos in a toaster oven so they are crisp again. Top with cheese and sauce and diced lettuce and tomatoes. In 20 minutes I can set a feast on the table fast.<O:p></O:p>
You can cut the measurements down.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p> </O:p>
CHIMICHANGAS<O:p></O:p>
I pressure cook my pinto beans with smoked ham hocks. [Then add salt and green chili] [Much better than refried beans then I take the ham out.]<O:p></O:p>
Drain the juice off in a bowl; mash them you may need to add a little juice back, set aside.<O:p></O:p>
Dice onions<O:p></O:p>
Take an ex-large tortilla adds beans, onions, cheese and roll up, secure with a toothpick.<O:p></O:p>
Then deep fry.<O:p></O:p>
Cool and wrap to freeze.<O:p></O:p>
MY CHIMICHANGA SAUCE<O:p></O:p>
In a large pot!<O:p></O:p>
Fry large package of lean <ST1:place w:st="on"><st1:State w:st="on">Hamburg</st1:State></ST1:place> meat, with onions, garlic salt, and black pepper.<O:p></O:p>
Set aside and drain the fat off in a strainer.<O:p></O:p>
Same pan, I dice about 8 lbs. of potatoes, onions, garlic salt, a little water, a little oil and smother with lid on, stir often you want to soften the potatoes and brown them a little. [Like smothered potatoes.] <O:p></O:p>
When done add green chili and you want to fry it a little to spark the chili taste.<O:p></O:p>
Then add meat back to the pot.<O:p></O:p>
Then add 1 gallon of tomato sauce, one gallon diced tomatoes, about one gallon hot water.<O:p></O:p>
Bring up to a boil, then simmer, as you add more garlic salt, black pepper, a little oregano.<O:p></O:p>
You can thin with water or thicken with instance potatoes.<O:p></O:p>

Pinkiris 05-10-2012 01:04 PM

This sounds delicious! But I don't have a pot THAT big! Can I just come to your house? LOL

May in Jersey 05-10-2012 01:26 PM

I don't have a pot that big either. Nor a freeze big engough to hold 100 of them.
Reicpe sounds delicious and so convenient to use after making a big batch.
How about giving us a smaller version of your recipe? May in Jersey

PurplePassion 05-10-2012 06:27 PM

How about you just send out care packages????Please

labtechkty 05-10-2012 07:09 PM

Sounds good!!

pls1946 05-11-2012 07:33 AM

Sounds Yummy, what time is dinner?

kso 05-11-2012 10:10 AM

That's a good basic bean and cheese recipe. Most chimi's made in Arizona are topped with green or red enchilada sauce after deep frying. (You don't see them with meat sauce here.) Then topped with shredded cheese, lettuce and sour cream.

This is my favorite recipe for making homemade green chili chimi filling. It can also be used for green chili burritos.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/biancas...rk/detail.aspx

Natalie17 05-11-2012 11:23 AM

Sound wonderful But, i thought Burritos are supposed tobe in a soft shell ?

Phyllis nm 05-11-2012 01:25 PM

If they are deep fried they are chimi’s- if not they are burritos. <O:p></O:p>
I posted a red and a green chili sauce you can use it to top them.<O:p></O:p>
I have never made a small batch, I see about cutting it down.<O:p></O:p>
I don’t always measure; I cook to taste, kind of old time cooking. <O:p></O:p>
I will check with a close market for prices of the dry chili.<O:p></O:p>
Just let me know when you are coming and I’ll pull them out of the freezer.<O:p></O:p>
I make them about twice a year, in cold weather so they pre-freeze out side.<O:p></O:p>

Phyllis nm 05-11-2012 03:46 PM

This was the all powder chili but it was not uniform:<o:p></o:p>
Red is $4.99 per lb.<o:p></o:p>
Extra hot ¾ lb $3.59 lb.<o:p></o:p>
It varies in price.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Green chili hot ¾ lb $5.24<o:p></o:p>
Extra hot ¾ lb $5.31<o:p></o:p>
This is all Hatch chili at this store. The other store may be different, but it is across town.<o:p></o:p>
I use diced and pealed frozen chili when I cook, I buy local. But it cost way too much to ship it over night. <o:p></o:p>
If I use mild and it does not have a bite to it I add a little hot powder or frozen to it. If I just have hot on hand I use less of it. I have put up fresh chili twice, the markets roast it and put it in a garage bag, you take it home and after it steams for a while you peal the skin off, I take the stems off and the hot seeds out before I freeze it. It is a lot of work, that is why I buy frozen. <o:p></o:p>
If you type in Hatch Green chili on the web you can go right to the source.<o:p></o:p>